The farming and smallholding thread

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Hmm thats quite a spread ,was the light one female ? or it just may never have been a good dooer , never had any issues with bullying ? Did they look quite even before they left and what was the grading.
Was a BBQ involved !!!

The Funny thing was for the last sentence.

Hmm thats quite a spread ,was the light one female ? or it just may never have been a good dooer , never had any issues with bullying ? Did they look quite even before they left and what was the grading.
Was a BBQ involved !!!
They were all male. There didn't seem to be any bullying, or fighting. They looked pretty even to me, certainly not 11kg different. They weren't graded. Maybe it's just the pig version of "First up Best Dressed ".
Another way to look at it is that the average weight was 70kg, which either means (SWIDT) I'm a genius, or that numbers are meaningless without context. The latter I feel.

They were all male. There didn't seem to be any bullying, or fighting. They looked pretty even to me, certainly not 11kg different. They weren't graded. Maybe it's just the pig version of "First up Best Dressed ".
Another way to look at it is that the average weight was 70kg, which either means (SWIDT) I'm a genius, or that numbers are meaningless without context. The latter I feel.
Anyway it the taste that matters !

It looks like the oats have done 2.6 to 2.7 t/acre, which is very pleasing. The OSR did a ton, not stellar, but a 47% oil content is outstanding.
The first 42 acre field of wheat has yielded at over 4t, the second little 10 acre patch at bang on 4t/acre, and the current field is a work in progress.
We should have been combining all day today, but I screwed up in the drier, and burnt out the belts on an elevator. Much hoovering ensued, along with driving around sourcing drive belts.
20220803_100721_compress83.jpg

Two elevators full of wheat, put there by stupidity
20220803_100703_compress73.jpg

Stupidity removal system.

Last edited:
47% !!! 'kin eck ! rape here has been swathed , not long before next door farm gets it done. Oats are turning colour , maybe early this year.

20220806_164245_compress54.jpg

Well, that's 35 acres of wheat we don't need to harvest.
Just before 4 p.m. today we drove the combine out of the field, onto the grass margin as it was losing power and the augur had stopped. I got out of the tractor and looked across, and saw flames. Rang 999. Having made sure the combine driver was safe I broke the 800m tractor record to get the water bowser, by the time I was back, circa 5 minutes, it was clear that the bowser was an irrelevance. By now the Fire Brigade have arrived, as has a neighbour with a cultivator and is making a fire break. I ditch the bowser, put on a cultivator and head out to help. 0 In a very short space of time 35 acres of wheat has totally disappeared, and by the Grace of God the fire hasn't spread to the grassland, or into the field of barley adjacent. The fire break stops the spread, and a truly magnificent effort by the Fire Brigade makes the area safe.
Everyone is safe, no machinery is lost. We're it not for fantastic neighbours and the efforts of the Fire Brigade this could have been a lot worse.
Screenshot_20220806-223620_Facebook_compress62.jpg
Screenshot_20220807-001051_Facebook_compress63.jpg

Last edited:

Londo

LE
View attachment 683466
Just before 4 p.m. today we drove the combine out of the field, onto the grass margin as it was losing power and the augur had stopped. I got out of the tractor and looked across, and saw flames. Rang 999. Having made sure the combine driver was safe I broke the 800m tractor record to get the water bowser, by the time I was back, circa 5 minutes, it was clear that the bowser was an irrelevance. By now the Fire Brigade have arrived, as has a neighbour with a cultivator and is making a fire break. I ditch the bowser, put on a cultivator and head out to help. 0 In a very short space of time 35 acres of wheat has totally disappeared, and by the Grace of God the fire hasn't spread to the grassland, or into the field of barley adjacent. The fire break stops the spread, and a truly magnificent effort by the Fire Brigade makes the area safe.
Everyone is safe, no machinery is lost. We're it not for fantastic neighbours and the efforts of the Fire Brigade this could have been a lot worse.
Such a shame about the loss .
Still as you say , things could have been a lot worse .
Lets hope it's the last one .

View attachment 683466

Lordy! Glad to hear you're OK, and equally that you have a great neighbour. Mine is a cvnt :)

holyphuc

Old-Salt
This is exactly the reason we took ( the difficult ) decision to have someone else farm for us. We are very lucky in that I have known the lad since he was driving his pedal JD tractor about, he took on his Fathers farm and made major investments.
All his kit is up to date , I still find it "interesting" to be sat in the cab with auto steer working, its economy of scale that makes it work.
If you still take the plunge , and it wont matter a jot if you've known your new farming partner since birth , Legal agreements sewn up like a feed sack are imperative.
Nearly all of our old farming kit was sold on, a wee bonus !
At te end of it sitting and looking out of the window at what is still your own land being farmed in a more efficient and cost effective way is quite satisfying.

Its only a decision you and your family can make and with the advice of your lawyer and accountant .
I'm going to be faced with this decision in a few years, I'm 58, no children but a couple of nieces, but they're too young and not shown any interest in farming. It saddens me to think I may only have another 7 or 8 harvests left, I could quite happily farm for another 100 years, mainly because I haven't managed to get everything right yet. Not sure if I will be happy watching someone else farm my ground , maybe I should sell it and invest it in nubile young women.

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm going to be faced with this decision in a few years, I'm 58, no children but a couple of nieces, but they're too young and not shown any interest in farming. It saddens me to think I may only have another 7 or 8 harvests left, I could quite happily farm for another 100 years, mainly because I haven't managed to get everything right yet. Not sure if I will be happy watching someone else farm my ground , maybe I should sell it and invest it in nubile young women.
Cocaine and hookers, that's the way to go.
The rest you can just squander.

View attachment 683466
Everyone is safe, no machinery is lost. We're it not for fantastic neighbours and the efforts of the Fire Brigade this could have been a lot worse.View attachment 683517
Good neighbours always makes a disaster palatable

Londo

LE
You own the land . When the time is right , put your feet up and let someone else do the work . Ie contractors to do the harvesting ect.
At least you will know you have done your bit doing the hard work ' Let someone else take the strain while you are still contributing to providing food , help to provide for the wildlife and maintaining the countryside .

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
View attachment 683466
Everyone is safe, no machinery is lost. We're it not for fantastic neighbours and the efforts of the Fire Brigade this could have been a lot worse.View attachment 683517View attachment 683529
Thank heavens you and the driver are safe.

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
View attachment 683466
Everyone is safe, no machinery is lost. We're it not for fantastic neighbours and the efforts of the Fire Brigade this could have been a lot worse.View attachment 683517View attachment 683529
Ouch. Could have been a lot worse, but still not good.

Caused by the combine problem?

Will insurance cover this sort of loss?

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm halfway there....
It's bloody awful watching someone undo 'your' lifetimes work.
We own half of what we farm, but it's obvious I'm never going to recover my former health ( 8 yrs last week)
Could let most of it out to the 'veg men' to rape the fertility I've spent a lifetime building up....

Two elderly parents,who like seeing the cattle below their window in a morning (except when the calves did the leccy fence on Thursday , letting Mothers' donkey out, and the cows in to eat her fancy hedges)

So we've gone down the butterfly and bumblebee route , for 70% of the land....
It pays the bills, (75% of veg rents) and I get to watch the barn owls hunting of an evening right by my deck.
Priceless.
( Especially when gin's involved)

We've hares galore again (next door neighbour 75, son a computer whizz over East ,not interested) has put his total 420acres in....it's showing, but wait till the dogmen start!
Wildlife is booming (odd Covey of partridge only, need a few hundred more)
Mate here last week(another 400ac+)debating whether to jump in too..

He has, despite being bloody good , with a strong succession line..fert at £850 and grain dropping to circa £200 doesn't stack up, for him anyway.
Alongside my other mate, dividing the three farms whose gone down the horsey/ butterfly route , that's 4 adjoining ( grade1 soil, ex veg farms out of food production >1300ac in one lump)
He's making more drying/storing/processing neighborhood grain and not worrying about the *weather/ staff/price of kit.....

*cold and rains daily/40odd employed in Farmshop, can't find one 'good un' to pilot his state of the art sprayer/ combine/ drill. £600k in those three chunks of metal alone)

So butterflies it is.

Also , general moan ;

He's had Firearms Plod out twice recently to his pigeonshooter mate, yet no interest in his Shop burglary( >£10k knicked.)
I've got a 'posh' new neighbour moaning about Himalayan balsam in our 'environmental field'......
Her F#ckin gardener brings all his waste to compost/burn on her ex WW2 hangar pad site, right alongside.....
WHERE THE FECK D'Y RECKON ITS COME FROM MADAM??

(She moaned that much about the cattle, we put the field into Enviro just to get rid of the myder... at least the kept her balsam down!)

Finally,
Re.
The "'Nubile young women' bit...

I've got two and a half currently (daughters) two are cow/ farming mad....
I despair.

Eldest just starting in Ireland milking/making cheese for Maccy D's through (farming) Uni.
T'other wanting to do 'Enviromental Stuff' at a 'normal' one.
I'm telling her to become a Govt 'Clipboard'...

I know which will make a better living out of Agriculture!**

Edit
What I should've written was
**'Enviromental/ Carbon capture/ Green/ Net Zero/ Emmision/ Vegan.........'

Apologies.
I'm getting the rant out of the way early, cause it 'might' be fit to bale straw later on..
( Last rain, yesterday morning)

Edit 2
There's a bloke on YouTube farms nearby (that's all the comment I'll make!)
He was showning his straw on fire yesterday...
Scallys, not climate.
If you notice , even in the swath it hardly was ablaze, his stubbles simply wouldn't catch alight...
This is partly due to him being a 'progressive' farmer (lots of weed) and partly because it rains on him more (aside Lpl airport) even while he was combining rape/turning straw.
Nowt will burn fieldscale here, corn's too green.

Anyway, sorry once again for the hyjack/ rant but it's difficult to explain to folk that when one is a Son of the Soil, it's bloody difficult to give up/ terminate an oft multigenerational lineage of hard work, improvement and progress that's been 'baked in' ever since one could ride on the step of whatever piece of dangerous kit Grand/Father was using at the time...
I'm only 50odd yrs in, it's not worn off yet.