The farming and smallholding thread

Anybody sold wheat forward for next year? Got all mine planted but 25% ish has still not come through after 6 weeks, the stuff that has grown doesn't look that good, can't see it being much above 3t/ac if that.
Any of our posters from across the pond comment on this?
We sell about 15% forward each year. Like you its all in, 70 acres are not rolled, but it is all up. Looks better than the OSR does, for all the companion cropping and garlic spraying we did. Next year the rape is being broadcast onto the barley stubble then lightly disced and rolled in. It can take its chance. I am fed up spending money on something that is now pretty much impossible to grow east of Somerset.

ugly

LE
I think our planting of wheat went in just before we lost the ground to tractors. The slug pellets had to be broadcast by quad. No fun for the driver!

Quick question for the Canadian farmers; Arr you guys able to cash in on the soya bean market to China now that the USA is not exporting?
Haven’t seen the fall figures yet, but by May-June our soybean exports to China had dropped over 90%, they hate Canada almost as much they do the septics and are making things difficult.

ugly

LE
Maybe I should organise a brewery tour for next year?

The problem l have is when the mega dealers evolve they generally weed out the old and wise only to replace them with dimwits who can’t fathom anything that’s not on their computer screen. I rather liked being able to put a sheer bolt on the counter and have them walk to the back and return with the right one instead of spending 5 minutes going through the motions of them trying to find it on the computer. These days I look it up on my CaseIH app and just order online and not necessarily from them unless it’s a part needed asap, maybe that’s the plan the whole time?
Yep...... I think the problem is also most dealers carry as little stock parts as they can get away with ( it's dead money sitting on a shelf until sold ) and there are so many build options on machines the whole parts system is again like the car / truck world where you need to put a serial number in to get the right part

A Newholland T6050 for instance can have 2 different engine builds and also a Serial Number cut off for different thread size for the WIF sensor .... so a simple question " can I have a set of fuel filters for my T6050" can mean 4 or 5 fuel filters could all be for that tractor without having the S/Number to refer to .

It's not progress but the good stores guys who know part numbers by heart and can look at a part and know what bin it's in are a dying breed ....as are the small family owned dealers they work for.

Yep...... I think the problem is also most dealers carry as little stock parts as they can get away with ( it's dead money sitting on a shelf until sold ) and there are so many build options on machines the whole parts system is again like the car / truck world where you need to put a serial number in to get the right part

A Newholland T6050 for instance can have 2 different engine builds and also a Serial Number cut off for different thread size for the WIF sensor .... so a simple question " can I have a set of fuel filters for my T6050" can mean 4 or 5 fuel filters could all be for that tractor without having the S/Number to refer to .

It's not progress but the good stores guys who know part numbers by heart and can look at a part and know what bin it's in are a dying breed ....as are the small family owned dealers they work for.
There are a couple of old IH dealers in Michigan that I make a point of dropping in on whenever I’m in the area. They may now be CaseIH, but it’s like going into a time machine, still has old IH signage and lots of old stock that’s getting harder to find.

holyphuc

Clanker
We sell about 15% forward each year. Like you its all in, 70 acres are not rolled, but it is all up. Looks better than the OSR does, for all the companion cropping and garlic spraying we did. Next year the rape is being broadcast onto the barley stubble then lightly disced and rolled in. It can take its chance. I am fed up spending money on something that is now pretty much impossible to grow east of Somerset.
I'm in Taunton, osr drilled mid August looks good, later stuff drilled early sept got ravaged by flea beetle, luckily I was using home saved seed and to save climbing on and off to check the drill hadn't run out I tipped a lot in, the rubber flap on the seed rollers had cracked so it was putting about 3 times the rate on. Still had to spray twice at night, but probably the correct plant population now.

I'm in Taunton, osr drilled mid August looks good, later stuff drilled early sept got ravaged by flea beetle, luckily I was using home saved seed and to save climbing on and off to check the drill hadn't run out I tipped a lot in, the rubber flap on the seed rollers had cracked so it was putting about 3 times the rate on. Still had to spray twice at night, but probably the correct plant population now.
Half our rape is Cleanacre, sown at 2kg/ha. It did look quite good for a while.

There are a couple of old IH dealers in Michigan that I make a point of dropping in on whenever I’m in the area. They may now be CaseIH, but it’s like going into a time machine, still has old IH signage and lots of old stock that’s getting harder to find.
My International Halftrack has the Red Diamond 450 in it...... some of the parts in original packaging from 43-45 have the IH logo on the packet inside the cosmoline ..... I think the RED 450 was also used in tractors .... how old is their stock ;-) ?
Always wanted a 3588 .....I drove a demo one in the UK for a bit....it had a western leather interior ...probably out of my price range as a toy I suspect and the wife may not be happy.
I like the old IH colour scheme ....they should extend the Combine scheme to the tractors .

My International Halftrack has the Red Diamond 450 in it...... some of the parts in original packaging from 43-45 have the IH logo on the packet inside the cosmoline ..... I think the RED 450 was also used in tractors .... how old is their stock ;-) ?
Always wanted a 3588 .....I drove a demo one in the UK for a bit....it had a western leather interior ...probably out of my price range as a toy I suspect and the wife may not be happy.
I like the old IH colour scheme ....they should extend the Combine scheme to the tractors .
I know a lot of it is for the 06 series and newer, at one point they were attending many of the dealership closings in the midwest to pick up inventory.

A 3588 is one of the few from that generation that is still pretty easy to find for a low price, typically around 10-11 grand Cdn. They aren’t very popular around here because of the size vs hp. Every so often a 715 will come up for sale and I’ll be tempted to bring it home, but always talk myself out of it. When it comes to wants weighed up against practical, l try to stick with just buying the toy version and sticking it on a shelf.

I agree with the old red/white, one of my long term goals is to find a decent 1206 that’s not completely worn out or done up to better than showroom condition.

I know a lot of it is for the 06 series and newer, at one point they were attending many of the dealership closings in the midwest to pick up inventory.

A 3588 is one of the few from that generation that is still pretty easy to find for a low price, typically around 10-11 grand Cdn. They aren’t very popular around here because of the size vs hp. Every so often a 715 will come up for sale and I’ll be tempted to bring it home, but always talk myself out of it. When it comes to wants weighed up against practical, l try to stick with just buying the toy version and sticking it on a shelf.

I agree with the old red/white, one of my long term goals is to find a decent 1206 that’s not completely worn out or done up to better than showroom condition.
I wish you hadn't told me that snippet of info........ 10-11 Cdn you say ;-) .... worse part of having one round here would be pulling out of gateways and indeed any junction ...... would like a 1455XL pre Red Black Case livery but they are expensive.

They call them anteaters around here because of the long cowling and unless you’re in open fields, making semi blind turns deal more with luck than skill. I have seen more than one with convex mirrors out at the nose for peaking down laneways and they look like shïte, but hey ho, better than getting hit by an artic.

The 1455XL is a nice looking tractor, but the only 14 I’d buy is a 1468....

I wish you hadn't told me that snippet of info........ 10-11 Cdn you say ;-) .... worse part of having one round here would be pulling out of gateways and indeed any junction ...... would like a 1455XL pre Red Black Case livery but they are expensive.
Now if you weren’t so posh, a 3388 is even cheaper, just noticed this one today.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D The Intelligence Cell 2
G The NAAFI Bar 27
Interceptor RLC 0

Latest Threads