The farming and smallholding thread

I have bought it and severley have been dissapointed.
I wanted to try it with one of our cull cows this year. Unfortunately it is pretty much impossible to get a carcass hung for 60 days.Hanging meat for that long is a skill all of its own, and while people may pay a premium for 'Galician ' steaks or roasting joints they are unlikely to do so for a pound of mince,.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Storm Arwen is battering us right now. I just went out to try and get the horses in but they’re having none of it. Silly ******* won’t be caught and are just charging round the field going mental. hopefully they’ll just find a tree or wall to curl up next to.

The wind and sleet is brutal. I can barely stand up outside. I foolishly forgot to wear gloves and within 30 seconds the hand that was holding the torch was in physical pain because it was so cold. This is worse than Storm Desmond. it’s absolutely howling outside.

Herdwicks will be ok because they’re nails.

Not looking forward to assessing the damage in the morning. I expect there will be a few barns, walls and fences that need some hasty repairs.

I’m supposed to be shooting tomorrow. I expect we’ll shitcan it if it stays like this.

Storm Arwen is battering us right now. I just went out to try and get the horses in but they’re having none of it. Silly ******* won’t be caught and are just charging round the field going mental. hopefully they’ll just find a tree or wall to curl up next to.

The wind and sleet is brutal. I can barely stand up outside. I foolishly forgot to wear gloves and within 30 seconds the hand that was holding the torch was in physical pain because it was so cold. This is worse than Storm Desmond. it’s absolutely howling outside.

Not looking forward to assessing the damage in the morning. I expect there will be a few barns, walls and fences that need some hasty repairs.

I’m supposed to be shooting tomorrow. I expect we’ll shitcan it if it stays like this.
Could blow through, marra.
Horses will go in muzzle to weather it. And horses are stupid, so yer shoot may be on.

I'd best sharpen the chainsaws in the morning if we are going to get battered again. Five footpaths and a Byway on the farm. Plenty of squeaking if a tree is accross any of them.
Horses are dicks, to paraphrase your opinion of goats.

Tyk

LE
@Ravers While the Hardwicks may be nails have you nailed them down or at least applied guy ropes? You may find them blown half way across Cumbria come the morning.

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
Just driven back from a formal do, over the m62 and am now on the correct side of the nation. Just getting my dress boots out of the boot I have dragged a snow drift into the house.

I reckon you will be on repair jobs, rather than shoots...

Same here stay safe

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Still windy as hell and very very cold but we appear to have survived the night without any major dramas.

A few trees down but we’ll sort those later.

Shoot day is on.

4D4D8E43-2345-4FF8-AE5E-671CE9AAEB8F.jpeg
A2D4C98E-54A7-43CF-9B30-29916A1E2418.jpeg
60D55CC5-8BD2-4E88-81F5-30DC379B68A3.jpeg
D4B3DACD-2D04-4096-883A-DD2EDB469241.jpeg

A couple of shingles off the roof of my office/ retreat from girlyworld this morning. That was all.
My truck this morning was 4 hrs late from spalding however, A66 shut and he got stuck in snow on the M62 for 3 hrs in the early hours.
Now sat drinking coffee in brilliant sunshine in Cupar fife, no snow and watching about 4000 grey lag geese in a stubble field. ( and my meter is running so alls right with the world.)
edit my day just got even better, got a text to say tomorrows job is cancelled but they are still going to pay me a full shift on Sunday money so I can give my middle daughter my full attention on her birthday.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And l would have no issue buying a quarter from you, my problem is that when livestock and poultry enter the logistics swamp the origins get all jumbled together. I can buy an 8 pack of hamburger patties listed as US Grade A and made in USA and half the meat could be from Chile. The grade is A and the beef itself is processed in the US allowing the made in the USA label to be applied to the packaging.
Likewise the EU allows chicken farmed in Thailand to be labelled as EU produced if it is packed there.

Insert other countries and products as applicable. Chinese grown tomatoes labelled Italian, avocados claiming German origin, even!

20211127_155913_compress39.jpg

Finished building the chickens flockdown prison. Because of Avian flu, from Monday all chickens must be inside/undercover. Might wait until the weather has calmed down before putting the tarp over it.

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
Likewise the EU allows chicken farmed in Thailand to be labelled as EU produced if it is packed there.

Insert other countries and products as applicable. Chinese grown tomatoes labelled Italian, avocados claiming German origin, even!
And that's why I buy my venison from the glen 40 minutes up the road, fed by the draff from the brewery which also gets my custom. Buy local if you can and can afford it.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And that's why I buy my venison from the glen 40 minutes up the road, fed by the draff from the brewery which also gets my custom. Buy local if you can and can afford it.
Ditto. The furthest afield our meat comes from is @Humble Tiller an hour away. Game and stuff he doesn't sell come from our local butcher, who grows his beef on his farm halfway between us and the shop and gets lamb and pork from.his mates in Tisbury. Venison, partridge and pheasant are all grown in Dorset.

No vineyards we can afford yet, but plenty of local veg, plus what we grow.

I am what l consider extremely lucky when it comes to locally sourced food. l trade the use of some of my land to a few hunters l know and they give me finished venison in return. My mate raises beef which l trade some field crop for so l know the cows diets, and l grow all my own long storable vegetables. Pork l source from a neighbour, and not that long ago l still had my own flock of chickens, a mix of layers and broilers. If it can be grown or raised in Canada, it will be available in my region. The only issue happening now is that quite a few farmers are moving away from growing vegetables in greenhouses in the cold months to producing cannabis as the income return is much higher.

Latest Threads