Yeah.

What?
5008D9CD-BF51-40A5-A7F7-42C4B8D0B099.jpeg

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
We have been having a bit of a clear out with the cattle.Seven that had problems calving this year have gone, along with two two year old steers, and Billy the Bull. Judging by the amount of bulling still going on amongst the cows, I doubt he has got any of the remaining eight in calf, we shall see in January.
Elsewhere, we are 3/4 of the way through drilling wheat, with 60 acres of oats still to go in as well. View attachment 610671View attachment 610672View attachment 610673
William was a very beautiful animal.
But I bet he was tasty....

We have been having a bit of a clear out with the cattle.Seven that had problems calving this year have gone, along with two two year old steers, and Billy the Bull. Judging by the amount of bulling still going on amongst the cows, I doubt he has got any of the remaining eight in calf, we shall see in January.
Elsewhere, we are 3/4 of the way through drilling wheat, with 60 acres of oats still to go in as well. View attachment 610671View attachment 610672View attachment 610673
Well if Billy the Bull, had concentrated on bulling the coos, instead of missing the fur king great tractor wheel hub/hole,he might still be here.

Last edited:
They are the Warminster and Infantry Beagles. They are a bit short of country at the moment as Salisbury Plain, where they normally hunt, is busy with exercises, so the Masters asked if they could have the odd day with us.
Are they kept in an "out-house", are they "paddling" all over the kitchen floor . . . ;) !!

We should finish drilling wheat today, having been held up by the weather, then just the oats to get in.View attachment 611320
The Beagles are here again, so all is suddenly right with the world.View attachment 611321
You’re lucky to have got any wheat in the ground, l generally have it in before September 30th once the soybeans are harvested, not happening this year. It has been so wet not even the tracked combines are getting in the fields long enough to get the crop off. At this point corn will be getting harvested in the snow by the looks of it, chances of drilling winter wheat are slim at best.

You’re lucky to have got any wheat in the ground, l generally have it in before September 30th once the soybeans are harvested, not happening this year. It has been so wet not even the tracked combines are getting in the fields long enough to get the crop off. At this point corn will be getting harvested in the snow by the looks of it, chances of drilling winter wheat are slim at best.
That sounds very grim indeed. Are spring cereals a viable option with you ?

Spring wheat is the only other reasonable alternative, but from the looks of it with many in the same boat, seed pricing and availability will be the determining factor come April. Ontario did well with this years wheat harvest, the western provinces suffered from drought and that has caused an overall production drop of roughly 30-33% for Canada as a whole. While the percentage is high it’s not devastating as there was a 20% increase in drilled wheat fall of 2020 over 2019 due to everyone wanting to get in on the high prices.
Overall we’re in decent shape for both the home market and exports, the septics to the south are in trouble though as Trump made a deal with China in order to buy farmers votes and now consumers are going to pay the price. The part that makes me smile is that Canadian wheat is not being diverted to help our neighbours out as the deal that was made undercut Canadian cereal producers. We can get better prices from other countries, in this case the US can’t have their cake and eat it too.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
20211114_082741_compress78.jpg

Not they will give two f###s about it, but I am beside myself with anger at the NFU and the farming press.
They have drank all the Kool-Aid in terms of Net Zero, and are busy throwing what is left of, certainly livestock, farming under a bus.
Instead of loudly proclaiming how British agriculture leads the way in environmental responsibility, animal welfare and regulatory rigour, they have jumped on the Saint Greta greenwash bandwagon and are having an orgy of self flagellation about carbon and methane.
Farming, by and large, in this country can be seen as an industry that captures carbon through growing crops and grass, with the added benefit that the by product of the process is food.
How dare they lump outdoor reared meat in this country with feed lot production in the Americas, or arable farming with slash and burn soya production in the Amazon.
All those who are promoting "plant based meat" should do a quick comparison of the inputs necessary to produce them, with ,say outdoor beef. On the one hand there are e - numbers, chemicals and a BFO factory, and on the other, we'll, some grass.
Soon, however, animal or arable production won't be an issue. What land is left after Bovis have built all over it will be covered in solar pv parks, with the balance used for trees so Ryanair or some other git can offset their conscience.
Do you think the planet is better served by the Neolithic landscapes shown here being ploughed up to grow soya, or left as they are for my slightly flatulent cattle to turn poor grazing into high quality protein ?
I never even got to the semi-final of Krypton Factor, but I reckon I know the answer to this one.
20211114_082010_compress69.jpg

View attachment 615667
Not they will give two f###s about it, but I am beside myself with anger at the NFU and the farming press.
They have drank all the Kool-Aid in terms of Net Zero, and are busy throwing what is left of, certainly livestock, farming under a bus.
Instead of loudly proclaiming how British agriculture leads the way in environmental responsibility, animal welfare and regulatory rigour, they have jumped on the Saint Greta greenwash bandwagon and are having an orgy of self flagellation about carbon and methane . . .
I never even got to the semi-final of Krypton Factor, but I reckon I know the answer to this one.View attachment 615679

Maybe the NFU should get their priorities in order, and realise how the competition are under-cutting our domestic producers . . . and the damage that our competitors are doing :( !

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A bit of a busy post remembrance parade afternoon.

Got home, ditched the party suit and headed straight out onto the farm to round up 4 of my brother in law’s very expensive Rough Fell tups that he helpfully dumped in one of the fields that doesn’t have very good fencing.

Inevitably they escaped and bomb bursted to all 4 corners of the estate, 2 ending up on neighbouring farms which I’m sure you can imagine made us very popular (it’s ok, they’re our tenants, but still).

One of them spent two days in with my Herdwick ewes which has massively pissed me off. I’ve worked really hard to grow this flock and use good quality pure Herdwick bloodlines. Hopefully he wasn’t in there long enough to do too much damage, but it’s looking highly likely we’ll have a few “Roughwicks” in the spring.

Anyway they’re all indoors now. Locked in the sheep version of a supermax prison.

I’ve also stuck all my Herdwick ram lambs in with them for company before they go to auction next week. As always it was an absolute joy trying to round those ******* up. They didn’t jump over any fences, swim across any streams or get themselves stuck in a minuscule gap between a barn and a drystone wall at all.

Nope.

I think I’ll just stick to cows in the future. I like cows.

If anyone is after any Herdwick ram lambs gimme a shout. At least two of them are actually really nice and will make great tups, but I haven’t got the space for them. I’ll stick an ad in a couple of groups on Facebook, but if no one wants them they’ll be going for kebabs I imagine.

Didn’t get any pics of the sheep today because I was too busy shouting and swearing at them.

9877043F-A53F-4CC7-B336-043AEAE08979.jpeg
E2312A9C-78E1-4A9F-96A0-A0F2D11EF3E6.jpeg
DEF05C96-77B6-4774-809C-7A64F5A40E22.jpeg
B8967E49-3EFF-4A71-951D-2960108BF3AF.jpeg

Latest Threads