The farming and smallholding thread

Your point seems to be then, other countries, with entirely different land masses, histories and demographies are richer and poorer than Britain.

Let me make this point absolutely clear.

This is the farming and smallholding thread - If you want to start a bunfight on GDP's / Population sizes / demographs, start a new thread.

Let me make this point absolutely clear.

This is the farming and smallholding thread - If you want to start a bunfight on GDP's / Population sizes / demographs, start a new thread.

As the one who first correlated population sizes and land masses, it seems you are the one wanting the bunfight.

I want to know where the space is for affordable houses to be built near where people work if not on farmland.

We are looking to start harvest on Friday, with 50 acres of oats. Pretty much everything plant and machinery related is ready, I just need to service the grain trailers and sneak in a cheeky three days in Swanage with the tribe, after I have taken the pigs on their last journey tomorrow.
20210723_080618_compress6.jpg

Tumbril practice.

The RPA have been especially Special recently. We are halfway through a ten year agreement, and they have cancelled a number of our contracts ( for want of a better word) for no good reason, or indeed any reason at all. There is now a five figure hole in the cashflow.
Attempts to communicate the urgency of the situation with them are met with "we'll be in contact next month ".
ETA Next month is after the deadline for ratifying contracts. The solution is to submit a mid-tier application, itself now worth a third less of our original High Level agreement, and only through my agent doing some Ninja paperwork emerge about £12K worse off. The RPA would have a complete shit fit if we decided to plough up 50ha of pasture on a whim, but they can fcuk us about for pastime. If the children weren't so keen I would be on the phone to Savills tomorrow.
The RPA is truly an administrative black hole, where common sense goes to die.

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some of the spoils from the farm……

There’s some Shorthorn Beef, homemade chorizo, venison, goats cheese and a few other bits in here.

Various veggies and herbs etc. also grown by us.
564AC0F8-39AB-416D-A0E1-6B2D1656049E.jpeg
8BAC925C-9686-4B65-9929-B302DFFD3209.jpeg
962304EA-5DDF-4E3C-8A19-7DA9CE83AB2E.jpeg
42935264-F4B7-4159-AE51-354A0685BD66.jpeg
66F4E21A-B8A5-4B86-92BD-010453CDA067.jpeg
1FDA1F0A-C60D-4E48-8571-C22011F85221.jpeg
5857AA2E-5169-4D07-B1FE-973DB6C031A1.jpeg
160E93EF-077D-4636-8C9B-E214B5ED695E.jpeg
A2571419-F6B4-45D1-B367-A5DB3BD6B5CC.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sorting Herdwicks today. I started this flock a couple of years back as a little hobby for the kids and to teach them about farming. I paid about 400 quid for 7 good breeding ewes.

They’ve done really well here and we now have about 30. The pet lambs we got as freebies haven’t faired so well and we seem to have about a 50% survival rate. They’re just really susceptible to illness. I suppose their immune system isn’t as strong because they get no colostrum at birth.

It’s still worth doing though. They cost us nothing and the ones that do survive can go into the flock if they’re good enough or be sold for a few quid once they reach a good weight.

Just doing the usual jobs today. Weaning the lambs off their mothers (just separating them and putting them in a different field for a week or two), clipping feet and tagging any that slipped through the net last time.

And as always there is some goat fuckery to deal with. 3 with heads stuck in the fence and 4 or 5 that’d somehow made it into the river.
078E8CD1-20F7-4459-AB35-9C166262DB7D.jpeg
7B9DB8C6-0D0A-49BB-BAA2-A87500B29FD2.jpeg
80366ADE-FEC1-449E-8182-BEA8A4BE12C0.jpeg
E4BBA8FB-070C-4265-81FE-CE44BCFD0B8E.jpeg

Sorting Herdwicks today. I started this flock a couple of years back as a little hobby for the kids and to teach them about farming. I paid about 400 quid for 7 good breeding ewes.

They’ve done really well here and we now have about 30. The pet lambs we got as freebies haven’t faired so well and we seem to have about a 50% survival rate. They’re just really susceptible to illness. I suppose their immune system isn’t as strong because they get no colostrum at birth.

It’s still worth doing though. They cost us nothing and the ones that do survive can go into the flock if they’re good enough or be sold for a few quid once they reach a good weight . . .
@Ravers , the contents of "colostrum" must be known to (veterinary) science.

Can it not be sourced/purchased in a bottle ?!

Tool

LE

It’s still worth doing though. They cost us nothing and the ones that do survive can go into the flock if they’re good enough or be sold for a few quid once they reach a good weight.

Just doing the usual jobs today. Weaning the lambs off their mothers (just separating them and putting them in a different field for a week or two), clipping feet and tagging any that slipped through the net last time.

And as always there is some goat fuckery to deal with. 3 with heads stuck in the fence and 4 or 5 that’d somehow made it into the river.
Either you're biased in your image-taking, or your daughter really has taken the farming thing to heart. Good for her. Has the son just given up, or is he dabbling in a great many things as is the wont of male youngsters?

"colostrum" replacement is available but the real thing is better, we keep several litres in the freezer , rotated every year and there is a demand for it quite universal, we have supplied it for sheep goats and even horses.
Deep frozen and in the correct packaging DPD have managed to deliver to the other end of the country still solid !

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Either you're biased in your image-taking, or your daughter really has taken the farming thing to heart. Good for her. Has the son just given up, or is he dabbling in a great many things as is the wont of male youngsters?
He still comes out from time to time but it’s definitely not something I can see him doing as a career.

Little lady has fully immersed herself in it. Definitely a future vet or farmer here.

He still comes out from time to time but it’s definitely not something I can see him doing as a career.

Little lady has fully immersed herself in it. Definitely a future vet or farmer here.
I bet any money you like your young Lady will turn out as you predict and the Lad will no doubt end up someone clever and important in the engineering sector. All down to the parents.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I bet any money you like your young Lady will turn out as you predict and the Lad will no doubt end up someone clever and important in the engineering sector. All down to the parents.
Yeah that’s the way he’s heading. He does shit on computers that I have zero understanding of and he can smash out an age 18 plus Lego Technic set in a couple of hours.

Zero interest in razzing round on a quad in the pissing rain though.

Yeah that’s the way he’s heading. He does shit on computers that I have zero understanding of and he can smash out an age 18 plus Lego Technic set in a couple of hours.

Zero interest in razzing round on a quad in the pissing rain though.
Is he into airfix?

Will chuck something in when I come up if so.

Belay that harvest start date above. 10ml since Friday, more today, just watched the weather and this week doesn't look great either. There's nothing can be done about it, indeed our OSR can only be cut from tomorrow. The worry is that everything is ready at the same time, and prioritising what to go for first out of five crops is never easy. The real worry is that the wheat will start to germinate, and thus only go for animal feed, as opposed to milling.

This month will see the start of our newest venture, guided walks. We have worked with a local history expert/tour guide to put together a relatively short walk initially, to coincide with Salisbury History Month. It might not make much initially, but there is a lot of scope to develop the idea. It also has the advantage of being a diversification that requires no investment from us, and ticks a few boxes in terms of Public Access and Public Goods.

Apart from the above, we just need to finish renovating a house, sell this one, move to the renovated house, get probate on my parents estate, pay off my half siblings and HMRC, sell five cows and two calves and sort out the pop up farm shop.

Londo

LE
Belay that harvest start date above. 10ml since Friday, more today, just watched the weather and this week doesn't look great either. There's nothing can be done about it, indeed our OSR can only be cut from tomorrow. The worry is that everything is ready at the same time, and prioritising what to go for first out of five crops is never easy. The real worry is that the wheat will start to germinate, and thus only go for animal feed, as opposed to milling.

This month will see the start of our newest venture, guided walks. We have worked with a local history expert/tour guide to put together a relatively short walk initially, to coincide with Salisbury History Month. It might not make much initially, but there is a lot of scope to develop the idea. It also has the advantage of being a diversification that requires no investment from us, and ticks a few boxes in terms of Public Access and Public Goods.

Apart from the above, we just need to finish renovating a house, sell this one, move to the renovated house, get probate on my parents estate, pay off my half siblings and HMRC, sell five cows and two calves and sort out the pop up farm shop.
Best of luck with all those endeavors . Hope all works out well for you .

Gabion Groyne

War Hero

Busy time ahead.

Coincidentally, I noticed at the weekend, the first field of barley had been cut in Kintyre with many others just about ready. We've had a glorious summer with just a bit of light rain to the extent that the reservoirs are right down. Normal rainfall here is usually over 2m annually, but I wouldn't say this summer has been unusual. The late Spring was.

Midges haven't been toooo bad, but clegs have!!

philc

LE

Look on the bright side they are not building some monstrously ugly by pass past Stonehenge. I have sat many a time on that piece of road, but its the price you pay. Looking on the Neolithic Maps your blessed with sites.

Look on the bright side they are not building some monstrously ugly by pass past Stonehenge. I have sat many a time on that piece of road, but its the price you pay. Looking on the Neolithic Maps your blessed with sites.

We have loads of burial mounds, pond barrows and such like. We are really very lucky to live here.
It will be interesting to see how the landscape looks after the tunnel is built. We are about half a mile south of the A303, so not directly affected by its construction, but as we rely on a borehole for water, slightly nervous about a solid concrete tube cutting through all the aquifers that feed our supply.