The farming and smallholding thread

It's not all doom and gloom here.

20210530_185735_compress42.jpg

Wiltshire Horn ewe and lambs.
20210530_184430_compress25.jpg

A twin calf, rejected by the mother, now being bottle fed. Wearing a daisy chain.
20210530_103041_compress30.jpg

Billy.

Evening folks, apologies for neglecting posting recently, if I've heard
"You should write a book" once , I've heard it a hundred time this last few weeks......
'The Everyday life of Countryfolk' it ain't!

Anyway, back nearer topic..
Here's one small victory hopefully to gladden @HT's heart for a brief spell.....

Screenshot_20210530-210112_compress72.jpg

It's an awful lot of 'faf' for someone who's nocturnal exploits have apparently been extensively viewed through a nightscope on more than one windy black night in these parts, but I suppose it sends a bit of a message.
There's plenty more like him unfortunately, but Paddy is sh*t hot after 'em, if only he had a dozen more colleagues to help him out, rather than their current fad of entering newly opened pubs and restaurants and counting how many are sat at a table eating dinner.

Evening folks, apologies for neglecting posting recently, if I've heard
"You should write a book" once , I've heard it a hundred time this last few weeks......
'The Everyday life of Countryfolk' it ain't!

Anyway, back nearer topic..
Here's one small victory hopefully to gladden @HT's heart for a brief spell.....

View attachment 577517

It's an awful lot of 'faf' for someone who's nocturnal exploits have apparently been extensively viewed through a nightscope on more than one windy black night in these parts, but I suppose it sends a bit of a message.
There's plenty more like him unfortunately, but Paddy is sh*t hot after 'em, if only he had a dozen more colleagues to help him out, rather than their current fad of entering newly opened pubs and restaurants and counting how many are sat at a table eating dinner.
Great news, and more power to Paddy Stewarts elbow.

If you are eating you might want to finish before reading this.

A heifer started calving today, we soon got her in the pen as not enough was happening. Had a look, the calf has both front legs back, and it is dead. Vet arrives, confirmed it is dead, probably a couple of days, sometimes they die in the uterus and labour isn't started.
He then tries very hard indeed to pull the calf out, three of us try, we use the calving jack, all to no avail.
We then have to do something drastic, and frankly upsetting. We decapitate the calf inside the cow, and get the head out, in the hope this gives us room to manoeuvre the front legs, and then deliver the rest of the calf.
It doesn't, there is just no room. This calf is not coming out of the back of its mother.
A c-section is considered, but the prognosis is very poor. The decision is then made to euthanize the heifer, which is done with a massive dose of anaesthetic.

Four to go, dreading every one them to be honest.

A heifer started calving today, we soon got her in the pen as not enough was happening. Had a look, the calf has both front legs back, and it is dead. Vet arrives, confirmed it is dead, probably a couple of days, sometimes they die in the uterus and labour isn't started.
He then tries very hard indeed to pull the calf out, three of us try, we use the calving jack, all to no avail.
We then have to do something drastic, and frankly upsetting. We decapitate the calf inside the cow, and get the head out, in the hope this gives us room to manoeuvre the front legs, and then deliver the rest of the calf.
It doesn't, there is just no room. This calf is not coming out of the back of its mother.
A c-section is considered, but the prognosis is very poor. The decision is then made to euthanize the heifer, which is done with a massive dose of anaesthetic.

Sorry to read about that

Jeezze that’s a bad one,feel sorry for you. Fingers crossed for the rest

20210612_105359_compress99.jpg

Some of last years calves .
20210612_100502_compress35.jpg
20210610_151306_compress63.jpg

Hay and haylage making is in full swing. We grow ten acres of grass for hay, and make haylage of the ancient byway to Stonehenge and one of the arable reversion fields.

We are still waiting on three cows to calve. They were scanned as being 4 and 5 months gone on the 8th of January, so something needs to happen ASAP, as they are enormous and I am terrified that they have massive calves that we will struggle to get out. I will ring the vets tomorrow and have a chat, they are massively supportive and have no problem answering bone questions without making you feel like an idiot.

Anyone any ideas as to what is going on here?

Seems to be a mix of barley and wheat, both are tall varieties as the heads are up to my waist, never seen it before, is it a cock up when sown by mixing seed varieties or can you easily tell the difference. If so it’s an expensive mistake as there are two large fields of it.

@Humble Tiller hope you have better luck with the calving when it comes.

SeriesOne

Clanker
View attachment 581032

View attachment 581033
View attachment 581034

Seems to be a mix of barley and wheat, both are tall varieties as the heads are up to my waist, never seen it before, is it a cock up when sown by mixing seed varieties or can you easily tell the difference. If so it’s an expensive mistake as there are two large fields of it.

If its "in the row" it probably came in the seed. Otherwise rogue Barley. Am assuming you have Barley in your rotation?

If its "in the row" it probably came in the seed. Otherwise rogue Barley. Am assuming you have Barley in your rotation?
Not mine, it appears to be randomly intermixed across the whole of the two fields, think it was wheat last year and the growth from spilled seed post harvest was sprayed off.

If it is rogue barley there is a hell of a lot of it.

Would they not spray it off once identified as a mix rather than taking it to harvest as I presume it ha little value, or could it be sold as animal feed.

I shall watch with interest what happens.

View attachment 581032

View attachment 581033
View attachment 581034

It could be a balls up, it could be being grown for wholecrop silage, paging @Oops .

Thank you for the good wishes.

cymraeg

War Hero
Just watched the new series with Clarkson on prime where he tries his hand at farming. I know he is not everyones cup of tea but I found it hugely interesting and bit of an eye opener to what's involved with the running of a modern farm. Highly enjoyable watching

Just watched the new series with Clarkson on prime where he tries his hand at farming. I know he is not everyones cup of tea but I found it hugely interesting and bit of an eye opener to what's involved with the running of a modern farm. Highly enjoyable watching
U tube his near neighbor with Harry’s Farm you will learn more

Crops are all finally in the ground for 21, had to do some replanting due to a killer frost, now just have to see if the weather cooperates.

On a positive note the field corn l planted beat the frost as it was already strong enough.
HtISmu.jpg

7FZNkV.jpg

Last edited:
It could be a balls up, it could be being grown for wholecrop silage, paging @Oops .

Thank you for the good wishes.
Sorry, not been paying much attention lately, I might dip a toe into the
' how do you bring up a daughter' thread sometime, is there a time limit on statute of prosecution in this Country ??
Anyway, back on topic....

Triticale?
Different applications for the growing of, mainly environmental scheme requirements.

Looks a bit too 'clean' however for the obvious ones, maybe just a commercial crop?
Some people have even been known to, ahem, blend a load or two into a decent wheat sample, if they're only getting feed price...

Latest Threads