The farming and smallholding thread

20210305_114618_compress0.jpg

Spring barley will hopefully all be in and rolled by Monday. Then another round of fertiliser for all the winter crops, catch up the yearlings and calves for some treatment, move the calves, move the bull, load lorries, go fencing when possible.

I've been thinking about the coursing situation. After the latest episode I was talking to a neighbour who made a very good point. As it stands, being done under the Hunting Act gives a pretty risible punishment, and the fines seem to be viewed as a form of taxation by the culprits as opposed to being a deterrent. On Friday I was talking to a police officer who said until the punishment becomes suitably severe, nothing will stop coursing, or lamping, or pikey safaris where they shoot at deer from the roadside.
Yes, ideally, if caught, they would get a massive beating and not come back. However, wading in solo against a car load of the twats isn't ever going to have a good outcome for me, even allowing for my mighty 5'7" stature.
Beatings aside, they need to be charged with something more serious than being crap at dog walking. Criminal Damage, Reckless Endangerment or something, and then get a custodial sentence. Last week, thanks to the pikeys, there was about £15,000 of investment running about loose in the dark, within sight and sound of one of the busiest A roads in the country. Added to that, we no longer feel able to graze cattle on that 200 acres because of the road safety issue, and now being told to report it to 101, where it gets NFA'd looks like the kick in the balls it actually is.
Look sideways at a badger sett and you go to the Big House, yet cause a load of grief, illegally kill wildlife, endanger the public, **** up a business and get a tap on the wrist.

ugly

LE
Report them for badger baiting and see if anything changes

I've been thinking about the coursing situation. After the latest episode I was talking to a neighbour who made a very good point. As it stands, being done under the Hunting Act gives a pretty risible punishment, and the fines seem to be viewed as a form of taxation by the culprits as opposed to being a deterrent. On Friday I was talking to a police officer who said until the punishment becomes suitably severe, nothing will stop coursing, or lamping, or pikey safaris where they shoot at deer from the roadside.
Yes, ideally, if caught, they would get a massive beating and not come back. However, wading in solo against a car load of the twats isn't ever going to have a good outcome for me, even allowing for my mighty 5'7" stature.
Beatings aside, they need to be charged with something more serious than being crap at dog walking. Criminal Damage, Reckless Endangerment or something, and then get a custodial sentence. Last week, thanks to the pikeys, there was about £15,000 of investment running about loose in the dark, within sight and sound of one of the busiest A roads in the country. Added to that, we no longer feel able to graze cattle on that 200 acres because of the road safety issue, and now being told to report it to 101, where it gets NFA'd looks like the kick in the balls it actually is.
Look sideways at a badger sett and you go to the Big House, yet cause a load of grief, illegally kill wildlife, endanger the public, **** up a business and get a tap on the wrist.
Firearms offenses? I mean a road safari sounds like unsafe discharge of firearms on public land...

Following the detected nocturnal visits in recent days we have decided to upgrade our security system .
The surveyor came this afternoon, as a result we are getting some shiny new stuff ( some not shiny )
for the fields that have roadside access and the driveway a laser detection system with enhanced gateway protection.CCTV cameras replaced with digital ones with ptz and target acquisition and follow me software. Silent alert to fob that has full alarm control. The house protection deemed sufficient ( Phew !! )
For the out buildings pir detectors upgraded and fire detection tagged on.
The cost ? Not a lot considering the cabling and power infrastructure is present, apart from the cable run to one of the fields.
Keeping the dogs, livestock and family safe doest have a price tag.
So until the work is done the dogs will have to remain locked up at night and brother will have to sleep with one eye open !
I never thought this would be needed in rural Aberdeenshire, but seeing the visitors on cctv only after the event changed my mind.

When I say not a lot, it is a lot just over 6k with maintenance contract for 24 months

Following the detected nocturnal visits in recent days we have decided to upgrade our security system .
The surveyor came this afternoon, as a result we are getting some shiny new stuff ( some not shiny )
for the fields that have roadside access and the driveway a laser detection system with enhanced gateway protection.CCTV cameras replaced with digital ones with ptz and target acquisition and follow me software. Silent alert to fob that has full alarm control. The house protection deemed sufficient ( Phew !! )
For the out buildings pir detectors upgraded and fire detection tagged on.
The cost ? Not a lot considering the cabling and power infrastructure is present, apart from the cable run to one of the fields.
Keeping the dogs, livestock and family safe doest have a price tag.
So until the work is done the dogs will have to remain locked up at night and brother will have to sleep with one eye open !
I never thought this would be needed in rural Aberdeenshire, but seeing the visitors on cctv only after the event changed my mind.

When I say not a lot, it is a lot just over 6k with maintenance contract for 24 months
That sounds a fantastic system, really glad you have it, but equally sorry that you need it.

That sounds a fantastic system, really glad you have it, but equally sorry that you need it.
It was the realisation that none of us here are able to defend / confront any miscreant ,having lost a digger many years ago ,fuel and other bits and pieces and then watching men scope the place out with the dogs seemingly the target.
We had in its time a top notch system when the company was in full swing,lucky we planned ahead.
If were much younger I wouldn’t hesitate in confronting intruders,crippled or not I would have a go ,we’re getting old, and don’t have the digger any more

Mate, that’s fvcking ridiculous. I’d suggest Claymores, but that’d get you in shit :)

How about something less aggressive, like trip flares or caltrops where they would pull off the road? No, probably still get you in the shit.

Or have a look at Arlo cameras. At least if you could ID the cvnts you would be a bit further ahead, and some models of Arlo can run for 6 months with no battery change.

200 acres that you can’t use is just fvcking ridiculous.

Apply for outline planning permission to build 200 nice houses on it, with an acre each. Or 3000 houses with a postage stamp each. Either way, you could say “I don’t want to do any of this, but the law/enforcement of the law isn’t letting me use it for pasture, like it has been for centuries. I don’t want it on my conscience that a herd of cows are getting out and causing accidents because of criminal damage that the Police can’t or won’t protect me from”. At the very least, it would bring the problem into focus more than it has been.

Currently getting plagued by lampers, 'photos showing individuals, vehicles, firearms, dogs all dated/timestamped.

Passed on to Plod - NFA.

Passed on to MP - NFA.

Local Media - NFA.

Facebook - Total shitstorm directed against those concerned.

I love the irony of the man-bun almond soy chair latte quaffers that dreamed up "Veganuary" being handed their arses on a consumer-driven plate:

Currently getting plagued by lampers, 'photos showing individuals, vehicles, firearms, dogs all dated/timestamped.

Passed on to Plod - NFA.

Passed on to MP - NFA.

Local Media - NFA.

Facebook - Total shitstorm directed against those concerned.
Much as detest them, try RSPCA....

Mate, that’s fvcking ridiculous. I’d suggest Claymores, but that’d get you in shit :)

How about something less aggressive, like trip flares or caltrops where they would pull off the road? No, probably still get you in the shit.

Or have a look at Arlo cameras. At least if you could ID the cvnts you would be a bit further ahead, and some models of Arlo can run for 6 months with no battery change.

200 acres that you can’t use is just fvcking ridiculous.

Apply for outline planning permission to build 200 nice houses on it, with an acre each. Or 3000 houses with a postage stamp each. Either way, you could say “I don’t want to do any of this, but the law/enforcement of the law isn’t letting me use it for pasture, like it has been for centuries. I don’t want it on my conscience that a herd of cows are getting out and causing accidents because of criminal damage that the Police can’t or won’t protect me from”. At the very least, it would bring the problem into focus more than it has been.
Housing planning permission??? Not likely....however...greenhouses a different thing but again, planning control at county level important - OP will probably be all over it.

Housing planning permission??? Not likely....however...greenhouses a different thing but again, planning control at county level important - OP will probably be all over it.

I was suggesting applying for the permission to raise awareness, not with the actual intent of building houses. If he can’t use it as agricultural land because the Police can’t control the criminality, that is an issue of public interest.

I was suggesting applying for the permission to raise awareness, not with the actual intent of building houses. If he can’t use it as agricultural land because the Police can’t control the criminality, that is an issue of public interest.
Yeah, I got that. No point, it wouldn't even get past an initial look is the point I'm making.