The farming and smallholding thread

This girl was Junior Champion at the Great Yorkshire show a few years back. She’s 10 years old now and has done her duty, producing some fantastic calf’s including a few prized bulls.

We’ve given her one last run and she’s due to calf in April. Her bag isn’t really filling up so it looks like we’ll be bottle feeding whatever comes out.

Just having a little check over and pedicure today.

View attachment 552210
Fwiw, having an ever ageing and spring calving herd, we find they tend to bag up v late pre calving, or more often in the week or two after.
IMG-20210223-WA0001.jpg
Old doris can't be producing more than an egg up full at present, but the calves on had one tubing of colostrum first day and that's it up to now.
They're still going, the vet bill for her now equates to her value!

While I was putting Sulphur on the winter wheat today, the contractors were spreading the muckheap from the racing stable, onto where the spring barley will be drilled. That is about 60 horses worth, stockpiled for a couple of years.
In nutrient terms it's not anything special, but it does put a lot of organic matter into the soil which is important for soil health. In spite of having very light soils in the main, our organic matter indices are 7s and 8s.
20210226_092332_compress6.jpg
20210226_092353_compress14.jpg
20210226_092343_compress96.jpg

anglo

LE
While I was putting Sulphur on the winter wheat today, the contractors were spreading the muckheap from the racing stable, onto where the spring barley will be drilled. That is about 60 horses worth, stockpiled for a couple of years.
In nutrient terms it's not anything special, but it does put a lot of organic matter into the soil which is important for soil health. In spite of having very light soils in the main, our organic matter indices are 7s and 8s.View attachment 552802View attachment 552803View attachment 552804
Now, That is a shit post,

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

In nutrient terms it's not anything special, but it does put a lot of organic matter into the soil which is important for soil health. In spite of having very light soils in the main, our organic matter indices are 7s and 8s.View attachment 552802View attachment 552803View attachment 552804
Looks to be mostly wood shavings, rather than horse muck !! :( .

Speaking as a man who has shovelled more racehorse sh1t than I care to remember in my youth, ( oh how we rejoiced when they invented the small skidsteer with a grab bucket).
most of our race horse sh1t was fairly poor fertiliser even without wood shavings.
The pee might have put some urea in the mix but unlike grass fed animals our lot were on a high fibre diet that went through the system. Carbs and sugars largely all got metabolised and protein levels in the diet were balanced so not much got wasted by a ride through the gut.
The biggest plus for racehorse sh1t over most horse poo middens is it isn’t riddled with worm burden ( the gut kind) that you will infect your pasture with if you take it and use it from the general horse owning population when offered For free usually.

Looks to be mostly wood shavings, rather than horse muck !! :( .
There is a lot of shavings in it, but after two years composting it makes a very nice addition to our light ground, along with the chicken shit. It isn't FYM by any stretch, but every little helps, it must do, as we are now averaging 4t/acre milling wheat.

You don't write for the Yellow Peril (Farmers weekly) perchance?
:grin:
I don't think my OSR yield of 2cwt/acre would impress them overmuch tbh.
ETA We did try growing a "barn filler" feed wheat a few years ago, Duxford. It yielded less than the milling variety. We don't do anything drastic to get to milling spec, no liquifert or anything.

I don't think my OSR yield of 2cwt/acre would impress them overmuch tbh.
ETA We did try growing a "barn filler" feed wheat a few years ago, Duxford. It yielded less than the milling variety. We don't do anything drastic to get to milling spec, no liquifert or anything.
Are you a posh farmer or what? I've never heard a wet fart being called liquifert. Or are you speaking in some 'Allo 'Allo poncey froggy furrin way?

Are you a posh farmer or what? I've never heard a wet fart being called liquifert. Or are you speaking in some 'Allo 'Allo poncey froggy furrin way?
Yes, I am a posh farmer, viz., every quarter day I have a bath and should I need the loo whilst bathing i get out and use the sink.
The liquifert is a reference to the practice of applying foliar Nitrogen as late as possible, typically the last week in June, to boost protein levels in milling wheat crops.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yes, I am a posh farmer, viz., every quarter day I have a bath and should I need the loo whilst bathing i get out and use the sink.
It's a bitch poking the turds down the plughole, eh ?

holyphuc

Old-Salt
You don't write for the Yellow Peril (Farmers weekly) perchance?
:grin:
Doubt it, it would be 15t/ha and a lecture about the benefits of the magnificent farce that is red tractor if he was!
Having thought about it over lunch, magnificent farce is the wrong phrase, extortion racket the krays would be proud of probably sums it up better. @HLD DMR do your grain farmers get audited like we do with 28days to rectify non conformities, and expulsion from the scam, sorry scheme and the consequent inability to trade all for no premium?

Last edited:
Doubt it, it would be 15t/ha and a lecture about the benefits of the magnificent farce that is red tractor if he was!
Having thought about it over lunch, magnificent farce is the wrong phrase, extortion racket the krays would be proud of probably sums it up better. @HLD DMR do your grain farmers get audited like we do with 28days to rectify non conformities, and expulsion from the scam, sorry scheme and the consequent inability to trade all for no premium?
I've got ACCS sometime this month. Rather pointless as I have had the 2021 grain passport stickers since December.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer