The farming and smallholding thread

47 is not too old to retrain , a degree only takes 3 years and Taff would get student finance , He also could work for Sainsbuy`s , I`ve known of a few who do supermarket work to boost their farm income , good on them, if Taffs brother the small business owner finds things going down hill he wont be getting hand outs or subsidies .
You mentioned up thread that you were a farmer.What did you farm?

No one ever makes money from farming. That's why my Range Rover is over eight years old and my LR ten. Still it's somewhere to walk the dogs, Pee in a field and shoot shit that annoys you. Yeeeehawww.

ugly

LE
As the thread has taken a minor detour into Br*xit territory...
Australia and several other major non-EU countries are seeking compensation from Brexit, claiming prolonged uncertainty has caused farmers to suffer a loss in exports.
They can sue the Eu and Gina Mlar

When I looked into buying land for a small holding the restrictions and planning rules were so onerous I quickly forgot the idea.

Planning permission to live on an agricultural land is virtually non existent.

ugly

LE
When I looked into buying land for a small holding the restrictions and planning rules were so onerous I quickly forgot the idea.

Planning permission to live on an agricultural land is virtually non existent.
Agricultural ties exist but because they are easy to undo the councils spend ages trying to prevent them and making the granting of them onerous!

Some environmentalists would like to see a lot of the countryside left untended allowing succession / rewilding .
Bloody hell .....are you a script writer for the Archers ;-)
I know a lot of environmentalists ......most have heads stuffed full of theory and many degrees and indeed masters in the subject , what most if not all of them lack is a grasp of reality.... if they and the global warming crowd have their way we will all be reduced to living in the middle ages again .
If I leave a field fallow for a few years what will grow is not an ancient forest , it will be scrub and weed trees like silver birch and field maple , and it will not be a haven for wildlife ......
How can it be sustainable to stop growing food in the UK and then fly or bring it thousands of miles by boat from an area that is still clearing primary rain forest to grow it.
It should all be about food miles and seasonality , open up all the small family run abattoirs that were closed and start producing local food again , replant the orchards in Kent etc.

Bloody hell .....are you a script writer for the Archers ;-)
I know a lot of environmentalists ......most have heads stuffed full of theory and many degrees and indeed masters in the subject , what most if not all of them lack is a grasp of reality.... if they and the global warming crowd have their way we will all be reduced to living in the middle ages again .
If I leave a field fallow for a few years what will grow is not an ancient forest , it will be scrub and weed trees like silver birch and field maple , and it will not be a haven for wildlife ......
How can it be sustainable to stop growing food in the UK and then fly or bring it thousands of miles by boat from an area that is still clearing primary rain forest to grow it.
It should all be about food miles and seasonality , open up all the small family run abattoirs that were closed and start producing local food again , replant the orchards in Kent etc.
The most important real world question that environmentalists can never answer is "How would you finance your theories and ideas" ?

With respect to the myth that all farmers are minted and get shit tons of cash off the EU and government.....

Yeah, it’s true in some cases. In any game there will be people who know how to play the system. People getting paid to have 3 sheep on their 5000 acre highland shooting estate etc.

The subsidy system is a mess and the way it’s currently worked out is bollox. We would actually make more money if we stopped farming altogether and planted trees over our entire estate.

For the majority subsidies are pretty much the only salary they get. Food is expensive to make and the government has to subsidise its production. The alternative is we all start paying the actual cost at the till.

Milk is now 2 quid a pint, a chicken is 15 quid, beef is something you eat on special occasions etc. etc.

As an example:

One of our farms is tenanted out on a 3 generational AHA lease. The same family have had it for over 100 years and we want to keep the continuity.

They pay us 15 grand a year rent.

That’s for a 300 acre farm, the buildings and a nice 400 year old, 5 bedroom house.

They assume all responsibility for the place. If the roof or boiler needs replacing, it’s upto them, not us as the landlord.

They have around 3000 sheep. That’s around 200 grand’s worth of stock. They also have about 50 grand’s worth of machinery, old tractors, a few quads etc.

These are not people with brand new Claas and John Deere tractors.

The turnover of their farm is around 200 grand a year, about half of which is subsidies. Out of this they have to pay their rent to us, buy feed, fuel, maintain buildings, build fences, walls, electricity, buy and maintain machinery and manage all the other running costs of the farm. They employ 3 people.

Actual profit is minimal. Their annual salaries and spending money will be less than the national average by quite a long way.

Without the subsidies, their position becomes untenable. They will lose money. This isn’t through poor planning or bad business practice on their part, it’s just the reality of farming. The price of their product is less than what it costs to make.

And that’s the reality for the vast majority of farmers in this country.

No subsidies = the cost of food for all of us triples.

Err... I thought most subsidies went to the landowner, not the tennant.

Not trying to start a spat.

Because if it all goes to pot the country starves.

We prop up all our other crucial infrastructure, like banks, utility companies, railways etc.

I think its pretty important that the government makes sure our food source isn’t in jeopardy as well.

Nope. We don't and haven't since Thatcher.

Farming and The Square Mile are the last sacred cows.

Over 25 and you are a mature student, most countryside colleges offer fee reduction or sponsorship for over 45's. The College would know more, age is not a barrier for education, U3A is just one education trust I can think of now. Google can advise you, lots of charities to look at small grants from a book to a years tuition

Just an addendum: WEA National homepage | WEA

This organisation, despite its name, is an over-looked gem; how its managed to avoid the axe, I don't know but if you're serious about furthering yourself, drop them a line. Fees are still slightly subsidised, I believe.

Londo

LE
I doubt if the cheques are going to stop, too many MP`s are big landholders to let that happen, just be a change of bank that it comes from.
For the farmers in this part of Wales I cannot understand why they are for remaining, the only thing you can grow on the north wales mountains is sheep, the total EU NZ lamb allocation for 2017 (last figures I can find) was just over 230,000 tonnes, just under half that ended up here so the only market left for them was in Europe, we leave, the EU allowance no longer applies to us opening the home market for more local produce so I can`t see them losing out
Can't understand why lamb is so expensive in the supermarkets in the UK . Been told its to do with most lamb from here being sold in the EU but if anyone wants to correct that .

Can't understand why lamb is so expensive in the supermarkets in the UK . Been told its to do with most lamb from here being sold in the EU but if anyone wants to correct that .
Probably about supply and demand.A few years ago there was more pork and beef being slaughtered for the meat trade,in idea what the situation is now. New Zealand lamb was not subject to any import tariffs so a lot came in from there.

For those interested the AHDB website will answer most of your questions, Agricultural and Horticultural Development Board:
ahbd.org.uk

Last edited:

Londo

LE
Probably about supply and demand.A few years ago there was more pork and beef being slaughtered for the meat trade,in idea what the situation is now. New Zealand lamb was not subject to any import tariffs so a lot came in from there.
Been doing a bit of reading up on the subject and there seems to be a huge difference in what farmers get for their lambs sold for slaughter ( £65 to £80 ) depending on where in the country plus other variables and what the supermarkets are charging ...£25 for a leg of lamb or £7 for four chops as I saw last week .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D The Intelligence Cell 2
G The NAAFI Bar 27
Interceptor RLC 0

Latest Threads