The farce of PMs African rapid reaction force

The farce of PM's African rapid reaction force
Sunday Telegraph
Link

Tony Blair's grand plan to save Africa by military force has been quietly shelved after he performed a remarkable U-turn on his farewell tour of the continent last week.

General Bentegeat admits the EU force is not ready,and is surrendering in advance.

Three years ago, the Prime Minister announced, to great fanfare, the formation of more than a dozen European military battle groups to intervene in African conflicts and prevent future genocides.

He promised they would be able to respond to a crisis in Africa within 10 days and insisted that if there was one "noble cause" worth fighting for, it was Africa.

Yet despite Mr Blair's words, tens of thousands of people have died in Darfur, western Sudan, since he first announced the creation of the battle groups, with no sign of any European intervention.

And last week, instead of committing British troops to new trouble spots, he called for the European Union to provide £25 million to fund an African rapid reaction force to do the job itself.
advertisement

The about-face has caused consternation in Brussels, where millions of pounds have been spent creating an infrastructure for the European force. European governments are funding the salaries of 150 officers, based in Brussels, and member states have agreed to make troops available on a rotational basis. Britain is scheduled to place 1,500 troops at the disposal of the EU force next year, despite its commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But Gen Henri Bentegeat, the Frenchman who oversees the force's military operations, has admitted that it would struggle to intervene anywhere in the near future. Despite the continuing fighting in Darfur and conflicts in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Somalia, the battle groups have not been deployed once.

Is anybody surprised?

The 'wanabee' 'President' of Europe and his plans finding reality.

This is one more expensive, ill-thought out, shambolic pipe-dream, by a man - Bliar - whose connection to the real world was about as solid as Swansea City's grip on next year's FA Cup!!

The whole nonsensical idea could, and should, have properly been shelved had any of Bliar's so-called 'military advisers' - ''W*nker' Walker and 'J*erker' Jackson - not had their noses so far up the bottom of the repellent Bliar and guarding only their chances of peerages (honestly) and other 'honours'!

In The Holy Bible the lion might well lie down with the lamb - but in the real world, we, the British, do not lie down with or on front of the French or the Germans.

I missed the original announcement back in 04 and even now after ten years of Dear Leader and his pronouncements I am left gobsmacked by this brain wave of his.
That a staff was actually set up amazes me yet the simple fact that No One seems willing to put Bodies on the ground, troops to do the biz up the sharpe end, cums across as typical Euro gob.
Tone please go. Go to jail, do not accept a peerage, stay the man of the people you always wanted to be.
john

jonwilly said:
I missed the original announcement back in 04 and even now after ten years of Dear Leader and his pronouncements I am left gobsmacked by this brain wave of his.
That a staff was actually set up amazes me yet the simple fact that No One seems willing to put Bodies on the ground, troops to do the biz up the sharpe end, cums across as typical Euro gob.
Tone please go. Go to jail, do not accept a peerage, stay the man of the people you always wanted to be.
john
I too missed this, and follow jonwilly's sentiments to a tee