The Fantastic Disappearing UN Pay

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by goatbagthedruid, Apr 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I couldn't find another thread for this topic. If there is, then I'm sure someone out there will point it out to me! :wink:

Does anyone know where UN pay goes to?? :?

Us who have served in Cyprus get 81 pence a day for our tour (taxed, of course). The other nations here get approximately $50 a day extra. We are all doing the same job, we all get the same food (seriously, there is one time of UN egg, bread etc from one contractor) and live in the same conditions. 8)

So, can someone in MoD/Glasgow/the Treasury tell us where this money goes? :lol:

Also, Cyprus is bloody expensive - we get LSSA (which you get when you go on exercise), Food and Accommodation back (if you are single), but beer is three UK pounds a pint. The OWP is OK (6 computers for 200 people, a few newspapers, the occassional book and BFBS TV (thank God for soaps) but they're away from home/family/loved ones for another six month tour. :roll:

Surely the boys deserve LOA for serving here or, at the very least, part of the UN Pay that the other contributing nations receive. :?:

I thank you, in the spirit of good will and cooperation :lol:

2. I'm not a pay dude but when the exact same question came up during a tour in the late Eighties we were told that the UK retains the money towards an unpaid bill for supplying the UN with vehicles. No idea if this is the real reason btw.

3. You may or may not get an answer, but you sure as sh1t won't get your UN pay.... they have been stealing it since the lads wore blue woad, never mind blue helmets.

4. Strictly speaking, the only people who receive UN pay are full time UN employees, whether local or international. All others connected with the organisation can receive a series of UN allowances. Military Observers receive Mission Subsistence Allowance (MSA) which covers food and accommodation when they have to pay it themselves, rather than being accommodated under communal arrangements. MSA can be from $30 to ~$200 per day - it's fairly big money. Individuals within troop contingents do not get MSA, but may receive allowances such as for water, telephone calls to home and so on, but you are talking peanuts here. This is paid directly to individuals - including Brits.

In addition, the UN pays the governments of Troop Contributing Nations (TCNs) for their contributions to a Mission, based on a set figure for each soldier, each vehicle and so on. Most nations keep this to cover the cost of providing the contingent, though a few, including Canada, pay part of it to their personnel as a "UN allowance". Some TCNs effectively pay for their armed forces from what the UN pays them - I've heard that Uruguay receives more from the UN than it costs for the whole of its forces. With that said, old UN hands generally don't mind that, 'cos the Uruguayans are generally pretty professional.

The British MOD takes the view that the Contingent budget covers the cost of training, equipping and paying contingents, and all those expenses fall to the tax payer, not to individual soldiers. We don't therefore, get this money ourselves, but we do get all the national allowances, including LSSA, to take account of service with the UN. British forces, incidentally, are at the very top end of the payment stakes among the major nations who contribute troops to the UN - few get more money when you take the whole financial package into account. It is true that some - Canadians and Australians spring to mind - get greater allowances while serving with the UN. But you probably don't want to swap your overall financial package for theirs unless you are going to stay employed on UN missions for ever - 'cos you'll lose money overall.

Don

5. Don,

Many thanks. Last part reads straight as if it came from Soldier Magazine (Apr 05)/pay office pamphlet - secret identity Donny???. Still think it is a swizz. :?

Oh well, another six months away, another medal. 8O

Does anyone else have a theory behind it??? :wink:

Post below!

GBTD

6. GB the D, I take your point on Soldier magazine. In my defence, my explanation comes from experience with the UN, as a military observer and member of UK contingents, rather than from sitting in a policy or financial branch.

Of course I wish I got more money but I can, however grudglingly, see the financiers point on this one.

Enjoy the tour - Cyprus does bring a few compensations!

Don

7. Phew, thought we had one of those "grown ups" on board them.

Again, many thanks

GBTD

8. Donny is correct about this. The cash from the UN goes to the UK government.

Actually in alot of cases it is in the form of a rebate off the UK annual dues to the UN.

He is also correct in say that many countries actually make a profit from their UN troop contributions - Kenya, Nepal and Bangladesh spring to mind. The UN normaly pays 1000 US per soldier per day for contingents. This is why you keep seeing the same 3rd world troops on every mission.