The Fallen BBC 4

Anyone else watching this?

This room must be mighty dusty.

RIP.

Bloody dusty in my house.

These families are so brave talking like they are about their sons husbands etc.

In our hearts & minds we will always remember them. RIP to them all

Behind every loss there is a family and friends left behind, RIP,may your families find peace,we will remember them.

Yeh, very sad R.I.P all the fallen soldiers.

The way that reporter talks about the death of one of the soldiers is terrible. "Oh yeh that was you", "you can't find much out about him" It the tone in which he says it, like he doesn't care at all.

I caught this when it was first aired, very moving but also shows you the effects war has on your family etc....Makes you think do I want to put them through all that...Also makes you proud and inspired. I suppose thats something you have to choose when you decide to swear alliegence.

We will remember them.

007m88 said:

The way that reporter talks about the death of one of the soldiers is terrible. "Oh yeh that was you", "you can't find much out about him" It the tone in which he says it, like he doesn't care at all.

I caught this when it was first aired, very moving but also shows you the effects war has on your family etc....Makes you think do I want to put them through all that...Also makes you proud and inspired. I suppose thats something you have to choose when you decide to swear alliegence.

We will remember them.
My bold.

I thought that was the point he was making. The fact that it is very hard to think of the losses as anything more than a headline/ small story
The overall reporting of these incidents is very rarely personalised. It is more often than not a side note or someting mentioned at the end of a news programme, after the stories about cats in trees etc.
I dont think the reporter particularly liked the fact he felt that way, it was more of a commentary he has been affected by it.

suits_U said:
007m88 said:

We will remember them.
My bold.

I thought that was the point he was making. The fact that it is very hard to think of the losses as anything more than a headline/ small story
The overall reporting of these incidents is very rarely personalised. It is more often than not a side note or someting mentioned at the end of a news programme, after the stories about cats in trees etc.
I dont think the reporter particularly liked the fact he felt that way, it was more of a commentary he has been affected by it.
Yeh a fair point...I just thought the mother watching the programme would feel even worse after them comments.

I thought the reporter and his production team did an excellent job, they clearly had the trust of the families. I also thought they homed in on particular issues pertinent to each death. The young daughter talking about her fathers suicide, very painful and very honest. The younger sister brashly joking about her brothers level of intelligence, and then a few frames later showing us the her true feelings....tough, but required viewing.

Watching this 3 hr film should be mandatory for every British politician. Not to prevent them from sending it's young men and women to war, but to ensure they fully understand the consequences when they make that final decision.

suits_U said:
Shame its not on mainstream TV....
I did watch this programme when it was first shown.
It appears that this was on 15th November 2008 on BBC2, a few days after Remembrance Day.

There were a number of threads on Arrse, and Arrsers were, obviously, moved. Here are some threads, from around the time, which, themselves make interesting and moving reading. (I think it's the last one that is the most comprehensive?):

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=100920/.html

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=108972/.html

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=109494/.html

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=109815.html

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=109567/.html

sierra_tango69 said:
I have taken the effort to upload it and split it to youtube standard files for everyones viewing benefit.

Here is the link to the playlist.
It will autoplay all the files if you click this link:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DyzLr9m1DPs&feature=PlayList&p=153009525C358AAD&index=0&playnext=1

Hope you guys appreciate and enjoy this.

Regards

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I watched some of it last night, very moving, very well made. In particular Lt Tweedie's parents. Very dignified, very stiff upper lip but all the more poignant when the emotion showed through and Pte Rayment's family, his sisters mentioned above.

I probably should not have watched. One family started to talk about the final parting and how they had expected to see their son again. It made me thing about Mrs BA's recent departure and I spent a few hours in rather unhealthy introspection. Mrs BA is not an infantryman and I am quite sanguine about the risks she is taking, which is a bloody sight less than it was a year ago in the COB, never-the-less late at night...

I agree with wee Jimmy above "Watching this 3 hr film should be mandatory for every British politician. Not to prevent them from sending it's young men and women to war, but to ensure they fully understand the consequences when they make that final decision."

D

dennis10

The fallen original was one of the best documentaries I’ve seen, but it was bloody hard to watch. I had to keep pausing so I could compose myself. I probably cried on 20 separate occasions and I don't consider myself emotional. One of the worst bits for me was when they showed the soldier who was on another documentry talking about going out to Afghanistan. To see him talking on one doc and then seeing his mum and sisters talk on another about him dying, it was well sad.
The beeb should have put it in a better time slot. Something like 9.00 on a Sunday, if my memory is correct I think it was shown on a Saturday at about 11. People need to hear the stories rather than just a name on the news or in the paper.

As for the 40 minute update, that was also good. The two kids at the beginning were well sweet and funny. When asked what they would do if they saw Tony Blair, the daughter of the killed soldier replied, "hit him with a stick". I think most people would hit him with something much more lethal.

Latest Threads