The Falklands , with the benefit of hindsight

Anything heavier than a CVRT or a BV would have stayed on the beach.
Well, according to this web site the BARV did...

Both HMS Intrepid and HMS Fearless, and one of their BARVs, took part on the amphibious landings of San Carlos Bay in 1982 during the Falklands War. The BARVs were the largest land vehicles ashore. HMS Fearless’ BARV caused more trouble, however, breaking its drive chain whilst working on Blue Beach.

I saw the BARV sometime after the ceasefire - it was stranded in the water with only the top 3'-4' sticking above the wet stuff...

37 years later now I know why... :)

Before Op. Corporate.
81mm and a Milan for NP8901
Same for Mill’s Marauders

Op. Corporate.
More BV202’s
Gore-tex socks and/or insulated boots
Latest generation available night vision aids
24hr ORP other than, “Chicken Supreme”

Just my 2p worth.
I thought NP8901 engaged an Argentine AMTRAC with 66mm and 84mm weapons, and sank a landing craft with the 84mm, whilst on South Georgia the Bootnecks put 66mm and 84mm rockets and a lot of small arms fire into an Argentine warship,

In 1982 the Lynx was not a good machine. The flying hour versus maintenance hour ratio was ridiculous.
It was doing well in naval service. Why the difference?

I thought NP8901 engaged an Argentine AMTRAC with 66mm and 84mm weapons, and sank a landing craft with the 84mm, whilst on South Georgia the Bootnecks put 66mm and 84mm rockets and a lot of small arms fire into an Argentine warship
One out of three hits on the lead AMTRAK from fairly close range.

“What if” they had MILAN?

Instead of guessing which beach the Argies would use, they could’ve selected a more suitable location and engaged from far, far away...

I still recommend reading Major Mike Norman’s book, btw.

I have read elsewhere that the reason there was only one troop of CVRT deployed was that it was thought the ground wasn't capable of supporting any tanks , yet of course they were ideal and made a significant contribution .
With the benefit of hindsight , would a mechanized brigade comprising two cavalry recce regiments , an RA Abbott regiment and two battalions of infantry in 432's or Spartans , supported by two squadrons of Lynx attack helicopter squadrons have rolled the Argentines up in a matter of a week or ten days ?
Or was all of the above impossible because
1 ) we didn't have the ships capable of landing a fully mechanized brigade or
2 ) they couldn't have been spared from the BAOR ORBAT or
3 ) was it a case of " It's only a South American army , let the Paras and Marines deal with it " ?
only cvr(t) or BV's would have a chance on the falklands boggy terrain - much of the ground is impassable to transport and damn near lethal on foot because every few hundred meters it goes from mossy/peaty ground to mysterious mile long stretches of extremely slippy rock running perpindicular to your direction of travel. Therefore platforms with higher ground presures/narrower tracks would be heavily dependant upon the limited amount of tracks which would be ideal targets for arty etc. Certainly increased numbers of Scorpion and Scimitar would have been extremely useful but not too many because of the logistics train - the single biggest force multiplier would have been more than 1 chinook (the others went down on the Atlantic Conveyer)

One out of three hits on the lead AMTRAK from fairly close range.

“What if” they had MILAN?

Instead of guessing which beach the Argies would use, they could’ve selected a more suitable location and engaged from far, far away...

I still recommend reading Major Mike Norman’s book, btw.
Have the Argies ever accepted or acknowledged, how many personal they lost on the initial assault?? .
What with the destroyed Amtrac, landingcraft. I'm sure the Booties must have took out a few in the fire fight??

Have the Argies ever accepted or acknowledged, how many personal they lost on the initial assault?? .
What with the destroyed Amtrac, landingcraft. I'm sure the Booties must have took out a few in the fire fight??
I'm sure there's been a recent debate on here on that very topic...

(he proffered, with just the slightest hint of sarcasm...)

Last edited:
3 according to them (Argentine them as in plural of him/ her not "THEM" them
1:2 dozen according to RM
100+ according to ricky
Eleventysix hundred non white school children were brutally murdered when they were on a fun day out at the beach according to Abbot
or
Regrettably several proud heroic freedom fighters were killed trying to free the Islanders from the oppressive imperialist English state.
Haircut dependent

Do you have anymore on this? Would be interesting to see how others would've gone about it
Read it a long, long time ago. Sorry I forget where, but the Americans were amazed we pulled it off.

At about the same time I read about a BBC journalist who was based in Moscow at the time talking to a senior Russian military official who was officially taking the Argentinian side say to him ‘when will you drive the Argentinians into the sea.’

Do you have anymore on this? Would be interesting to see how others would've gone about it
6.30 Caen Port Stanley is bombed for the second time today, an attempt again to destroy Argentinian communication lines. This time the targets are the bridges on the local stream. Bombing lasts for more than a quarter of an hour, and the neighbourhood is destroyed. The town has now suffered two civilian casualties.