The Falklands Sinkings: The Untold Story

They were not simple ballistic missiles, they could navigate autonomously and maintain a height above the waves. IIRC they were able to differentiate between little boats and big boats so they would prioritise aircraft carriers or indeed boats carrying large quantities of tentage, warm clothing, and helicopters over RFA thingy boats.

Cruise missile would imply an air breathing engine in my mind.

giatttt

War Hero
Cruise missile would imply an air breathing engine in my mind.
I think the notion was that it would cruise to its target, i.e. a degree of laid back refinement on the way to the final destination. In the late sixties there would have been very little that could have offered a meaningful defence.

Super cruise is something else although the chaps with slide rules did the sums for the SR71 ten years earlier.

My dad’s last ship was the Coventry. Luckily, he left her (and the Navy) in 1981. I also used to work with a Chief Yeoman who had been on the bridge of the Sheffield when the exocet struck; being on duty saved him as he would have otherwise been down in the mess. A number of his friends were not so lucky. He was a decent bloke although the PTSD did make him grumpy at times.

One of my MOD jobs was in a small part of the navy that analysed weapons control and firings; every time a weapon was fired, its associated data ended up in my data archive. The Falklands data was in there, and I once got to listen to the Broadsword Ops Room recordings as the Sheffield was hit. It was all very calm and matter-of-fact; various voices reading out information and issuing commands about radars, weapons, ship speeds, directions, mentioning Sheffield was blocking them, and a rather unemotional flat announcement that Sheffield had been hit. If you didn’t realise the context, you’d imagine it was just an exercise.
Heard it--- Bootie I knew had a recording.
Impressive.

He was killed in Iraq on private security duties.

R.I.P. Al

PS--- Having read this again this morning, to make it clear--the recording I heard was from the bridge of HMS Broadsword during the attack and sinking of HMS Coventry-- not HMS Sheffield.-- Apols.

Last edited:
Although the Exocet Missile became the proverbial bogeyman of the Royal Navy in the Falklands War, l believe that most of the damage caused by the Argentinian Strike Aircraft was achieved by dropping "ordinary" High Explosive Bombs.
After the BBC had told them that their fuses were set at incorrect heights.

Was it really to do with the BBC? Those American bombs had spin-in fuses and I'm sure the Argentinians were well able to figure out that you needed longer flight times for the bombs to arm. I'll bet survivors of the first attacks told the mechs that the bombs hadn't gone off despite hitting the ships and they were well able to figure out what needed to be done.

Was it really to do with the BBC? Those American bombs had spin-in fuses and I'm sure the Argentinians were well able to figure out that you needed longer flight times for the bombs to arm. I'll bet survivors of the first attacks told the mechs that the bombs hadn't gone off despite hitting the ships and they were well able to figure out what needed to be done.
The BBC got the blame for it and I am all for that!

Mölders 1

Old-Salt

I have wondered if the Argentinian Armourers had adjusted the fuses on the bombs so that they could be released from a lower altitude, would the attacking Aircraft have been caught in the blast of their own bomb explosion?

Heard it--- Bootie I knew had a recording.
Impressive.

He was killed in Iraq on private security duties.

R.I.P. Al

PS--- Having read this again this morning, to make it clear--the recording I heard was from the bridge of HMS Broadsword during the attack and sinking of HMS Coventry-- not HMS Sheffield.-- Apols.

See previous post correction.

Latest Threads