The F-35 just got a whole lot more expensive!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, Apr 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 8O

"…April 12 (Bloomberg) -- The cost of Lockheed Martin Corp.’s F-35 fighter, the most expensive U.S. weapons program, may rise as much as $51 billion beyond the $328 billion estimate given to Congress April 1, according to a worse-case Pentagon scenario.

The cost per plane would then be $155 million, 91 percent higher than the $81 million projected when the program began in 2002. The program’s total cost, calculated in current dollars, would increase 64 percent to $379 billion.…"
  2. It's a White Elephant
  3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

While you may not believe in the aircraft, on what do you base the white elephant comment?

4. I's a solid gold efelump at those prices!
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

And just for clarity, A, B or C model?
  6. As I recall that's even more than the practically useless F-22. The F-35 was meant to cost about half of what the taxpayer got stiffed for the F-22. Some really juicy pork to be had here before the drones take over.
  7. I would imagine thats for the 'cheap' A version.
  8. The practically useless F-22? What, the most dangerous fighter jet ever made? Not a fan of supercruise, manoeuvrability, range, stealth and EW capability?

9. And the USAF ended up with less of then then the number of Typhoons the by comparison tiny RAF is getting.
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

?? :? 8O
  11. Built to counter the threat from the second-finest fighter in the world... the, erm, F-15.

The Americans have been in an arms race with themselves.
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Yes of course, the F22 was built to fight the F15 :x The f15 was built to fight the mythical Dog fighter the Mig 25, so how does that work out?
  13. Yup, the USAF got the grand total of 186 F-22's
  14. And the RAF are getting 160 Typhoons.
  15. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I'm not sure of either of your points?