The Evil George W Bush?

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Nov 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I received this email today from a trusted source and I think it says a lot about our former president that is a bit different from the abuse so many seem to take such glee in heaping on him. I disagreed with a number of his policies but I still appreciate the way he treats our military with respect and dignity.

2. He's been visiting the wounded and their families, the kin of the dead since 2001 with little fanfare or press coverage. Most of the images come from kin and the Soldiers themselves.

He's taken their Accolades and their Abuse. I know few politicians who do the same without a retinue of journos in tow.
  3. I'm sure I'm not the only Brit who thinks this, but he was always portayed as a bit of a muppet here, but I really am envious of care for the armed forces community. If only our government really had a care for us. But then it's always been like that here :(
  4. I agree with you. I have a few friends in the US and I know he is well respected by the US military and law enforcement etc. I believe he was `assassinated`by our great British media and branded as some numpty, war mongering fcukwit. He may have made made himself unpopular in some quarters in the US but Barry Obama (who the British media seem to worship) has made himself more unpopular very rapidly across the pond.
  5. The British press do love him don't they! But he seems to be a bit of a ditherer over defense issues, especially with the US commitment to Afghanistan :(
  6. Too true
  7. It's not true. Bugsy says so.
  8. Mind you old Gordon Brown grasped the nettle when he made a huge committment to send a further 500 troops to the 'stan. Not even a full battalion. I bet the 500 will consist of 200 storemen, 100 stewards, 200 typists to type letters to say how good Gordon is, and a dog called Colin who's blind in one eye :lol:
  9. How can they call him a warmonger? He only started two wars which subsequently turned into quagmires (giggity). Far better to refer to him as a peacemaking genius.
  10. Methinks you doth protest too much. The decisions to which you refer were not made by the ever evil GWB in a vacuum. While I readily agree that as CinC, as for any leader in the chain of command the buck stops with him, but you oversimplify the process to suit your apparent personal issues with him. At least he made decisions when needed.
  11. Now good old Queen Victoria was a war monger, she started 60 (sixty) wars/conflicts during her reign. Mind you the British Army was much bigger then :wink:
  12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

usually the wrong ones... and then after ten minutes trying to come to grips with a book for infants.
    respect to the bloke for having the decency to visit his troops in hospital - but for a lot of them, I cant help feeling that perhaps they wouldnt be there if he was a slightly clearer thinker, and not as easily led as he seems to be.
  13. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

'...back in the old days when the prerequisite of a British campaign was that the enemy should under no circumstances carry guns -- even spears made us think twice. The kind of people we liked to fight were two feet tall and armed with dry grass.'
  14. Have you seen the cut you can get from dry grass, paper cuts are nothing on them. 8O
  15. You are entitled to your opinion but I hope you have not formed it solely on the basis of the European (and elitist US) media bashing that developed into a veritable art form. The man had his faults and I vehemently disagreed with a number of his policies and decisions (such as the policies regarding detainees from the GWOT, the proposed amnesty for illegal immigrants and his unfortunate swan song of beginning the whole bail-out mess now being continued with a vengeance by our current rulers).

I do not believe, however, that he is the cretinous monkey as he was so effectively portrayed by many pundits and others with varied agendas. In fact, compared to the current political hand-wringing and ineptitude in DC and London at present over what to do in Afghanistan, I think GWB's reactions to 9/11 were positively brilliant.