The Evil British Empire

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by blonde_guy, Sep 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

2. The following line about the foreword writer of Grasse's...errm, 'book' should tell you all you need to know about this little money-spinner:
    "Penny Rimbaud is an author, poet, performance artist and cultural terrorist."
  3. And there was me thinking it was going to be a slow and boring day. Let the fun and games commence!!
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

In reading parts of the site, it's rather tongue in cheek I think. I suspect it's a WAH site.

Here's a couple of examples:

My bold. Surely he's taking the piss?

Oh, come on; he is taking the piss.

It gets funnier the more you read.
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Check out the summary of his book: (I may have to get this as stocking fillers for my friends and family):

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

We invented the metric system? Awesome! So glad we were the first to adopt it.

No, wait a sec...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

And I'm sure Mr Gatling would not be pleased to have the Machine Gun called a British invention. Even Hiram Maxim was a Yank - he had to come over here to make money properly, though, as the Yanks had at the time insufficient enemies to make a large army worthwhile, having already exterminated most of the Natives by then :)

Overall though, he's got a point. It often takes a Brit to invent/discover something - Penicillin, Alpha and Beta Particles, Concentration Camps, LCDs, MP3 Players - but some foreign Johnny will be the one to make them work really well and use the discovery on an industrial scale :)
  8. its a piss take unforuntatly a lot of hard of thinking types did'nt get it.
    just how blatant do you have to get
  9. Yes, the concept of anybody inventing the Plague is clearly insane. Child labour has clearly been around since children were invented (yes, I know ...) And who, in their right minds, would claim to be a "cultural studies analyst"?

Of course, the link at the bottom -

Seems to suggest it was designed to see if it could get anybody to take it seriously. So a little deeper digging:

So :thumright: to the Daily Fail for another bit of well researched journalism! Now go and check out "bikini bandits": The Arcadia Project: Bikini Bandits
  10. I agree with Mr Grasse, the British Empire, which included the Scots, Welsh and Irish, who he also includes on the oppressed team, were definitely evil, I know this to be true because;

They turned me into a newt! (I got better.)
  11. I sent an email asking a few questions, if I get a reply I will post them up.
    I would love to where he got is info from, I am thinking Enid Blighton.
  12. *Enid Blyton,
  13. Ask him for a few bottles of Sailor Jerry while you're at it?

There is an edit button next to the reply one for when you realise you've made trivial spelling mistooks:nod:
  14. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Right as one of the oppressed I shall be seeking legal advice on the following acts of oppression, Stamford bridge,Colloden,the invasions of Wales,Scotland,and the bombing of my house by the bloody Lufftwaffe,I wont be holding my breath though