The EU, Who is really in charge - The Brussels Business

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Robbo_72, Apr 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found this interesting documentary and would like to share it as an OP for an open discussion about the topic.
    The French Lobbyist in the doc is a whore/prat/feckwit/moving target if I ever seen one, Total non-job scum that could be a big part of the EU problem that we have to deal with as far as end results go.
    It's 1hr 25min long, a bit longer than an episode of Panorama.

The Brussles Business (2012) - IMDB link

[​IMG]

The Cast:

[TABLE="class: cast"]
    [TR="class: odd"]
    [TD="class: hs"]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: nm"]Catherine Ashton[/TD]
    [TD="class: ddd"] ...[/TD]
    [TD="class: char"]Herself, European Union Trade Commissioner (2008-2009)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: even"]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: nm"]Leon Brittan[/TD]
    [TD="class: char"]Himself, European Commissioner for Trade (1993-1999)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: nm"]Maria Green Cowles[/TD]
    [TD="class: char"]Herself - Political Scholar, American University, Washington[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: nm"]Etienne Davignon[/TD]
    [TD="class: char"]Himself, European Commission (1977-1985), European Round Table of Industrialists (1986-2001) (as Étienne Davignon)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: nm"]Olivier Hoedeman[/TD]
    [TD="class: char"]Himself, activist, Corporate Europe Observatory[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: nm"]Craig Holman[/TD]
    [TD="class: char"]Himself, lobby consultant, Public Citizen, Washington[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: nm"]Siim Kallas[/TD]
    [TD="class: char"]Himself, vice-president of the European Commission[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: nm"]Pascal Kerneis[/TD]
    [TD="class: char"]Himself, lobbyist, European Services Forum[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: nm"]Keith Richardon[/TD]
    [TD="class: char"]Himself, Secretary General 1988-1998, European Round Table of Industrialists
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: nm"]Christoffer Taxell[/TD]
    [TD="class: char"]Himself, Finnish politician
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: nm"]Erik Wesselius[/TD]
    [TD="class: char"]Himself, activist, Corporate Europe Observatory[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

All it's glory on youtube.....

Not going to say much more, i'd like to hear your take on it.

2. European Union is a GOOD idea

European bureaucracy is not. Some way to make a Bureaucracy lite EU would be welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Not at all.

Schengen has opened up Europe bar back ward places like England but on the whole, people are moving towards work - in one company in Ostrava where I work there are people from 19 EU countries bringing their multilingual talents to a company that supplies a company based in Reading that supplies the world - that is a bad thing?

Financially, there is a thread devoted to this. Done properly and enforced properly, it would work - like America does.

4. Every project has its positives, but for me the negatives far outweigh this. European trade would work without heading down the road of full integration, with more accountability. Again, in my opinion, the current european situation is not sustainable and a comparison to the US is not favourable as they are only surviving by printing as much money as they can. At some point, that " fiscal cliff" they have is going to have to be dealt with

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Not sure. Last war was when? We.ve expanded, badly, eastwards. Unfortunately, judicial systems were not up speck and still are not. I really still do believe in the EU but I agree that the accountability needs be enforced and on top of this, transparency. There is still far too much corruption in Europe.

6. If you count the Balkans, not too long ago. The big problem is, and I think you have hit the nail on the head, is the lack off accountability has lead to corruption at all levels that is now to ingrained to sort out. The rush to integrate countries with economies so out of kilter with the main players has left "us" with a situation that you could have seen a mile off. Lets not forget the Portugal and Spain were, in essence military dictatorships until not so long ago and so needed time to find there own feet in democracy before being flung into a federal union with nations much more advanced in terms of economy, legislature and public responsibility. Italy and Greece survived by the skin of their teeth and the less said about east of Berlin the better. Europe is a group of countries so different and so individualistic that it realistically has very little chance of success; too much water under the bridge. We can get along and trade with each other quite happily, but thats as far as it can ever go. The doomed Euro ( you cannot have a single currency with 16+ fiscal policies, bit like giving 20 people access to your current account and asking them all not to take the piss) will be the beginning of the end. When was the last time the EU books were signed off?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Meanwhile in Japan.......Christine Lagarde has praised Japan's latest attempt to banish deflation by pumping trillions more yen into the economy as a "welcome step" in supporting global growth.

Ms Lagarde also described Cyprus's €10bn (£8.5bn) bail-out as a "very specific case" and declared that the the euro had a solid future.

Christine Lagarde: BoJ was right to launch monetary blitz - Telegraph

8. I will have whatever she is on!!

9. It's not so much what she's on, more what she's got her eye on after her current tenure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sorry mate I was not clear? I ment drug wise as she said the Euro has a good future!

11. I'd go with a genuine free trade area, no subsidies, free movement of labour etc. The idea of European UNION is abhorrent to me; there is no historical precedent and little public buy in. I do not want to live under European law, governed by some conglomerate multi-national government.

12. The original idea of the 'Common Market' if I remember correctly. Although you do wonder if the current objectives have always been there as a hidden agenda and the original scenario was done purely to get people to buy into it.

Maybe a common market between the Scandinavian nations plus Holland, Belgium, Germany, Austria and us would have been good as we are all temperamentally similar. Anything with the French , Italians and Spanish would be doomed to failure.

As to having any former communist Bloc nation in ...... not a fecking chance. They still need a few generations to get up to some kind of recognisable civilisation.

Me xenophobic ? Yep, I've been to many of these nations and have seen them at home first hand.

13. Have you been eating curly, non eu bananas again?