The eponymous "Hajj blanket" aka non standard sleep system

I've put this in the "Kit" forum. Partly a reminisce and a current kit recommendation

I've spent 20 years in the shit holes of the world from ninja cold places in the arctic circle to the super heated during the day, B20 cold at night turd bowls

The two common denominators in all these places are poor people and "hajj" blankets.

Hajj blankets are the stacks of super thick fleecy, super meltable blankets you see in the tents along pilgrimage routes, routinely the only option in countries that haven't discovered duvets and like sharing bedding.

I've spent 3-4 months this year all weather camping in tent and camper van. I've come to the conclusion that if bulk isn't a problem these things are the business

Super warm, not only when you are in them but, even when everything is damp as **** they still feel warm to touch.

I've got three kingsize and had them sewn up two edges, giving me a man size snuggle bag. I plonk a duvet or a sleeper on top if required. Key thing is the extra layer of luxury, which stops you waking up thinking you are on wet and dry stag/watch in the field

Hoofing in a pile as they are about six inches deep, or folded into a make-do man size cushion

Cheap as chips and you can get them in animal prints. Kids love them, you can fold them in four like an envelope and stuff a nipper in comfortably

I once presided over burning 300 of them in central Africa after a particularly nasty epidemic of bedbugs/scabies in the workforce accom. Went up like a tyre factory

They've been around since I was a nipper in one shape or another. I can remember hauling a ratty star wars blanket to university and successfully using the line, "do you want to come and look at my star wars blanket" on a fresher hotty

Given the choice of animal pelts or this modern oil based item, I'm sure the mongol hoards would have gone for the animal print kingsize every time

Faux Fur Throw Double King Size 3D Animal Blanket Print Sofa Bed Large Fleece

Last edited:
I read about some lessons learned by the American , I think it was 82nd Airborne or the 10th Mountain Division after serving in Afghan up in the mountains.

One was you need lots of heavy batteries as they went flat in the cold and two was the best way to warm up a soldier with hypothermia was the old fashioned woollen blankets with the soldier in the nude with a medic providing direct body warmth.

For those with money, or friendly procurement offices, there is the Kif@ru W00bie which seem's to be favoured by some.

There is another similar type widget to the W00bie, either from Norway, or Denmark, maybe Finland......near Viking country anyway. It (along with Mukluks) was favoured by the boxhead KSK lads for a while, particularly the snipey teams.

Of course, just buying a 5 quid blanket works. You can upgrade by getting an old goretex bivvy-bag, opening it out and sewing the blanket. or polartec fleece fabric, inside it - gives a poor-man's W00bie, which works quite well.

I read about some lessons learned by the American , I think it was 82nd Airborne or the 10th Mountain Division after serving in Afghan up in the mountains.

One was you need lots of heavy batteries as they went flat in the cold and two was the best way to warm up a soldier with hypothermia was the old fashioned woollen blankets with the soldier in the nude with a medic providing direct body warmth.
That has been common knowledge for donkeys years.

I used one as a makeshift sofa cover when I was in Kuwait. The bloody thing used to give me massive jolts of static electricity so I hoofed it.

You don't think he actually served do you :|
I wasn't commenting on whether he served or not.

As much as I like getting naked with medics, that 'groundbreaking snippet' has been taught to cadets and DofE for at least few decades. Indeed, I was taught it in the ATC in the 90's.

As much as I like getting naked with medics, that 'groundbreaking snippet' has been taught to cadets and DofE for at least few decades. Indeed, I was taught it in the ATC in the 90's.
I'm sure you were:mrgreen: creepy ******* adult instructor cadet touchers

I'm aware, I was being facetious.

I used one as a makeshift sofa cover when I was in Kuwait. The bloody thing used to give me massive jolts of static electricity so I hoofed it.
Did KBR US do your wiring?

I used to work at Plysu in Milton Keynes back in 1994-1995. Plysu made plastic four pint milk bottles, which were then bagged in 'pallets' of around 200. You'd then stack these pallets onto a large barrow, getting around 70 pallets per barrow. Now you could get a good jolt from the static on a single fully stacked barrow. Passing another barrow could cause sufficient static to knock someone out.

How we we never killed some poor old cünt wearing a pacemaker, I'll never know.

I suppose we could have asked for earth straps to be fitted, but hey I never really cared I was only temping while doing my A levels - that underage boozing wasn't going to drink itself.

Apologies for thread drift, there was a tenuous connection.

Did KBR US do your wiring?

I used to work at Plysu in Milton Keynes back in 1994-1995. Plysu made plastic four pint milk bottles, which were then bagged in 'pallets' of around 200. You'd then stack these pallets onto a large barrow, getting around 70 pallets per barrow. Now you could get a good jolt from the static on a single fully stacked barrow. Passing another barrow could cause sufficient static to knock someone out.

How we we never killed some poor old cünt wearing a pacemaker, I'll never know.

I suppose we could have asked for earth straps to be fitted, but hey I never really cared I was only temping while doing my A levels - that underage boozing wasn't going to drink itself.

Apologies for thread drift, there was a tenuous connection.
I did actually consider 'earthing' my sofa. Only for a minute or two and then thought 'F*ck this' and threw it in a skip.

For those with money, or friendly procurement offices, there is the Kif@ru W00bie which seem's to be favoured by some.

There is another similar type widget to the W00bie, either from Norway, or Denmark, maybe Finland......near Viking country anyway. It (along with Mukluks) was favoured by the boxhead KSK lads for a while, particularly the snipey teams.

Of course, just buying a 5 quid blanket works. You can upgrade by getting an old goretex bivvy-bag, opening it out and sewing the blanket. or polartec fleece fabric, inside it - gives a poor-man's W00bie, which works quite well.
I just bought 3 Surplus Woobies of Fleabay - $12 each! MARPAT and lightly used.

Arrrgh don't make me buy anymore go faster kit

... and two was the best way to warm up a soldier with hypothermia was the old fashioned woollen blankets with the soldier in the nude with a medic providing direct body warmth.

Oh, SOP now is it? I got chucked out of the WRAF block and got 252'd. One rule for one lot etc.

Doing my bit for capitalism, I have just bought an analogous item from Costco - a kings size, faux fur throw. It only cost about £20, but feels softer than a soft thing. Thick, very luxurious and very warm. It is like you have killed and skinned the most expensive, biggest teddy bear ever created.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
redgrain The Intelligence Cell 97
Adjutant The Intelligence Cell 3