The Enniskillens in the First World War

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Youngy, Jul 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this is a daft question, but this really isn't my area of expertise...

I was talking to an old chap last night, whose father served in the Enniskillens during the Great War. Unfortunately, but also understandably, his father never spoke about his experiences, and Peter (the chap I spoke to) still knows very little of his father's wartime service, except for the time he was wounded.

He was 'going over the top', and was being immediately followed up the ladder by another man, when he was struck in the left leg by a bullet. The bullet travelled through the soft tissue in his leg, and went on to hit the second guy in the forehead, killing him instantly. A lucky escape for Peter's father...

Peter himself went on to serve in the RAF during the Second World War, on the barrage balloons protecting Newcastle, Plymouth, Belfast and later in 'Doodlebug Alley' protecting London against the V1 flying bombs in 1944. He tells me that his balloon crew even managed to bring one down...

Anyway, I'd like to try and find out more about The Enniskillens during the First World war; where were they, which battles were they involved in, etc. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find this information?

Thanks in advance...

2. Just type royal inniskilling fusiliers into google and that will get you started, as you can see the regt title is a different spelling from the current one for that charming town

3. Aha... Inniskillings. No wonder I couldn't find anything...

Thanks very much guys, it's greatly appreciated. :)