The Englishman Abroad

Might get flak for this, but I've just returned from Mexico and have spent some time studying the behaviour of the different nationalities represented down there.

I only lived in England for 2 of my last 35 years and left England over 20 years ago, but still find spotting Brits to be the easiest. The distinguishing factors are numerous and obvious.

I'm curious to know; do other expats do this, either from the same position I do (just appearances) or from recognizing overheard accents etc?

Last edited:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Might get flak for this, but Iv'e just returned from Mexico and have spent some time studying the behaviour of the different nationalities represented down there.

I only lived in England for 2 of my last 35 years and left England over 20 years ago, but still find spotting Brits to be the easiest. The distinguishing factors are numerous and obvious.

I'm curious to know; do other expats do this, either from the same position I do (just appearances) or from recognizing overheard accents etc?
English, tats, loud, drunk, very red, fat birds, badly behaved kids, keep away from them.

I may be English, but due to my very slight Welsh lilt these days, when abroad people do mistake me for a Taff.

Which does have it's advantages.
You mean they make allowances for when you are caught in flagrante delicto shagging their sheep

Issi

War Hero
I holidayed in France a while back, and the idiot a few spots down from me erected his tent, stuck a flag pole outside his front door and hoisted up a St George's flag, then strung a string of St Georges illuminated lights around the doorway, and sat there for a week drinking can after can and reading newspapers. I don't think he left the site once.

Anus! (and I'm not being anti - English, if he would have hoisted a Welsh,Scottish or Irish flag, I would have felt the same way).

You mean they make allowances for when you are caught in flagrante delicto shagging their sheep
Or anyone else's sheep to be honest. When I'm abroad I'm well mannered, courteous and like to eat and drink where the locals also eat and drink. Can't stand the loud Brits and if they speak I respond in Afrikaans of which I am quite fluent, then let them think I'm "One of them furrin boggers." :cool:

I holidayed in France a while back, and the idiot a few spots down from me erected his tent, stuck a flag pole outside his front door and hoisted up a St George's flag, then strung a string of St Georges illuminated lights around the doorway, and sat there for a week drinking can after can and reading newspapers. I don't think he left the site once.

Anus! (and I'm not being anti - English, if he would have hoisted a Welsh,Scottish or Irish flag, I would have felt the same way).
Not allowed to enjoy his bought and paid for holiday in his own relaxing way eh. Did his activities actually cause anybody else a problem?

How can you spot them? I thought they all mixed in nowadays.

upload_2017-12-12_23-14-28.jpeg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Sitting in a Small bar/cafe in Mandello, a rather portly couple came in and before they spoke i worked out that they were brits ( dress sense of a tramp)
they tried to order a meal , but I dont think they understood the Latin way of doing things
sit down relax and wait for the staff to find you
the woman kept agitating for her Husband to go to the counter or they would be here all day !!!!
ye what a bitch with a view of Lago de Como and the mountains to annoy you !
eventually the waitress came along, but her English was limited, so I stepped over and translated and order their grub, and explained about leaving a decent tip
afterwards the woman said to me, you speak very good English where did you learn it
oh says I we usually spoke it at home in Brixton !!

... afterwards the woman said to me, you speak very good English where did you learn it
oh says I we usually spoke it at home in Brixton !!
My wife made the 'you speak very good English' comment to a Gibraltarian. He was most offended and indignantly responded with 'Madam, I am British.

Might get flak for this, but Iv'e just returned from Mexico and have spent some time studying the behaviour of the different nationalities represented down there.

Yep. I can spot them just walking down the road.
Something about the dress sense and body language gives them away.

I go all over the place for work and I can almost 100% of the time get it right whether I should expect a certain group of people to be speaking English.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I spotted these Brits in the middle of a Forest above Falaise
only Brits would be bonkers to cycle all that way and carry a sign
cracking lads
IMG_6448.JPG

Kirkz

LE
I usually holiday in Scotland so they know I'm English because I'm not ginger.

You mean apart from tipping even the least amount in places where you're expected to (if the order did come out right)? Yeah yous are a peach...Just have a think.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
My eldest brother has lots of friends he's met on holiday, no idea why he talks to them let alone visit them when he gets home, I avoid them like the plague. His wife is like Hyacinth Bucket, came unstuck when he'd got chatting to a waitress in Greece, invitd her to visit and she did. She'd always gum in her gob, his wife went nuts after she'd left, she found it stuck all over the place, came to my house for a meal, took table apart years later, found some gum underneath, scratching head, eventually worked out where it came from.

Me and missus were sat around the pool in Cyprus this year. Me wanting to be quiet and read a book. Lo and behold, fat, bald, tattoo'd Brits arrived. Swigging alcohol at early o'clock and being loud n cuntish.

I then realised, that I was the same! Balding, tattoo'd, slight weight gain this year, sitting there supping me beer! The only difference was I was wanting to be quiet and read me book. And I wasn't be cuntish. Or least not yet.

The out of shape with tattoos are the biggest British giveaway. I find them foreigners to be a bit more well kept! German blokes look like they gym a lot more often. And Russian birds scrub up quite well! They always dress well for just the Buffett dinner.

Latest Threads