The Energy rates thread - people's experience of providers, current rates available or quoted and any referrals

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Some of you may know, but I'm a bit of a whizz with the ol' lecceroo..... (usually with a 'bang' after the whizz). In truth, I'm far more adept at managing my tariffs and ensuring I get the best price possible. This is because I have two properties - my dwelling and my business, which is a furnished holiday let.

The FHL is electric only, with ceramic smart radiators and a hot tub that runs 24/7 plus an immerser tank for the house hot water. Because of this, the annual usage for the FHL sits around 19,000kwh. The average UK home uses around 3100kwhs!

That means I could be going from an annual bill of approx £3100 based my current rate of 16.9ppkwh to an annual bill of approx £8500 based on a current standard tariff of 41ppkwh - had I not paid attention.

The reason I'm doing this post, is that a quick poll of work colleagues showed that pretty much no-one seems to have really clocked on to what is about to happen in April when the rates go up on the cap. One of my friends was getting quotes for two year fixed of 51ppkwh! That means an average use house would see their bill jump by over 300%. This of course isn't even taking into account gas, which is hiking up as well.

So I thought I'd start this to get people thinking, and let people post up their current supplier and rates or quoted rates, and encourage people to figure out what they're going to do before April.

It comes down to maths. If you have six months left of your current good tariff, then yes, you might be better off staying on it. If you've only got one or two, you may want to swap now - although you'll swap to a higher tariff, you're banking on it being not as high as what you'd get in two months time.

I'm with Octopus Go - It's designed for people with EVs, although I know of people who have it without having an EV. Both houses will move onto the new rate as of the 1st of April, jumping from 16.9ppkwh for leccy to 31.5ppkwh. From 0030-0430hrs it's around 7ppkwh. Gas is a standard rate at about 9ppkwh I believe.

You need a SMETS2 meter to get this, it has no exit fee and you can cancel at any time. Don't start bickering here about SMETS2, take that to the SMETS2 thread.

Their customer service is excellent, and I've had a fair experience of the good and the bad (Scottish Gas, SSE, both utter shite, Ovo excellent at the start, now overwhelmed, and Powershop which was very niche and forward thinking with brill service).

Interestingly with Octopus, they have lots of forward thinking and innovative tariffs. If you have a house which is entirely self-sufficient via solar and battery, you could for example be on their Agile rate - this means you pay market rates (which is very expensive) but you can also feed in at above market rates which means you could feed in at 48ppkwh. That's an excellent rate, but only benefits those with excess, which I doubt many have. At one point the feed in rate peaked at £2.38!!!

So my big push here is:
  1. Find out who supplies your energy if you don't know
  2. Find out what your pence per kilowatt hour rate is for electric and gas (as applicable)
  3. Phone other suppliers, and tell them you don't want a quote, you just want to know the per unit rate and the standing charge
  4. Decide if you want to fix onto a rate or go to a more variable rate with no exit fees
Also, if you have a SMETS2 and your supplier allows it and you financially can manage it, my big advice here is - don't set up a direct debit for a fixed amount. Get them to bill you for exactly what you use. Right now that means I'm getting a monthly bill of around £400 for the FHL, but come the summer, I'll be getting billed a lot less. It means at the end of the year when I think I'm £1k in credit, I don't get a shock when they reconcile the figures and say, "Oh actually, you owe us another £500".

Above all else, just make sure you don't get caught out if you're on a standard variable tariff - i.e your contract has ended and you've been bumped onto a default rate, because your arse will get felt hard and lovingly come the rate rise in April.

If you decide you want to join Octopus, then you can use this referral code to get £50 (as do I):

but this isn't my focus here. I just don't want folk getting shafted, but I'm just concerned at the number of people not aware really of what's coming. If I get any referrals, I'll donate £25 from each one to Erskine.

Anyone else got a good provider and an idea of their rates or what they're being quoted?

ETA: This website is the dogs balls and shows all the Octopus rates across the country:

Last edited:
19.4 ppkWh.
Fixed for another 2 years.
EDF fixed it when we moved in last year as we were going to switch ( don't like fFrench), price persuaded me to stay.

The main point that gets me is how the French stepped in to keep things in check,what is it about the British that allow us to be treated like sheep and see those that work get mugged by HMG to keep the workshy and give me grants in a life of bliss

Blogg

LE
Currently pondering this as by happy chance about 7kWh (notional...) of all South facing Solar being installed later this month along with a 6kWh battery thanks to one of the local authority group buy schemes

Octopus appears to be the best for the fixed outgoing at 7.5p but only get that if you import from them as well, otherwise 4.2p

Now just need to work out which import tarriff is best.

The main point that gets me is how the French stepped in to keep things in check,what is it about the British that allow us to be treated like sheep and see those that work get mugged by HMG to keep the workshy and give me grants in a life of bliss
The first opportunity I had when moving house was to remove British Gas from my list of suppliers. They shafted me four times previously, both for the energy and replacement of the copper to the cooker (which an independent later found to be leaking at the join), then sent me threatening letters via their 'solicitors' when I showed them the report.

Quite why they are allowed to use 'British' in their moniker is lost on me.

The first opportunity I had when moving house was to remove British Gas from my list of suppliers. They shafted me four times previously, both for the energy and replacement of the copper to the cooker (which an independent later found to be leaking at the join), then sent me threatening letters via their 'solicitors' when I showed them the report.

Quite why they are allowed to use 'British' in their moniker is lost on me.
Funnily enough, British Gas fitted the EV charging unit to my house.
It went tit s up after four months and it took a while to get them to replace it.
"Warranty" does not seem to be easily understood by these muppets.

Blogg

LE
Some of you may know, but I'm a bit of a whizz with the ol' lecceroo..... (usually with a 'bang' after the whizz). In truth, I'm far more adept at managing my tariffs and ensuring I get the best price possible. This is because I have two properties - my dwelling and my business, which is a furnished holiday let.

The FHL is electric only, with ceramic smart radiators and a hot tub that runs 24/7 plus an immerser tank for the house hot water. Because of this, the annual usage for the FHL sits around 19,000kwh. The average UK home uses around 3100kwhs!

That means I could be going from an annual bill of approx £3100 based my current rate of 16.9ppkwh to an annual bill of approx £8500 based on a current standard tariff of 41ppkwh - had I not paid attention.

The reason I'm doing this post, is that a quick poll of work colleagues showed that pretty much no-one seems to have really clocked on to what is about to happen in April when the rates go up on the cap. One of my friends was getting quotes for two year fixed of 51ppkwh! That means an average use house would see their bill jump by over 300%. This of course isn't even taking into account gas, which is hiking up as well.

So I thought I'd start this to get people thinking, and let people post up their current supplier and rates or quoted rates, and encourage people to figure out what they're going to do before April.

It comes down to maths. If you have six months left of your current good tariff, then yes, you might be better off staying on it. If you've only got one or two, you may want to swap now - although you'll swap to a higher tariff, you're banking on it being not as high as what you'd get in two months time.

I'm with Octopus Go - It's designed for people with EVs, although I know of people who have it without having an EV. Both houses will move onto the new rate as of the 1st of April, jumping from 16.9ppkwh for leccy to 31.5ppkwh. From 0030-0430hrs it's around 7ppkwh. Gas is a standard rate at about 9ppkwh I believe.

You need a SMETS2 meter to get this, it has no exit fee and you can cancel at any time. Don't start bickering here about SMETS2, take that to the SMETS2 thread.

Their customer service is excellent, and I've had a fair experience of the good and the bad (Scottish Gas, SSE, both utter shite, Ovo excellent at the start, now overwhelmed, and Powershop which was very niche and forward thinking with brill service).

Interestingly with Octopus, they have lots of forward thinking and innovative tariffs. If you have a house which is entirely self-sufficient via solar and battery, you could for example be on their Agile rate - this means you pay market rates (which is very expensive) but you can also feed in at above market rates which means you could feed in at 48ppkwh. That's an excellent rate, but only benefits those with excess, which I doubt many have. At one point the feed in rate peaked at £2.38!!!

So my big push here is:
  1. Find out who supplies your energy if you don't know
  2. Find out what your pence per kilowatt hour rate is for electric and gas (as applicable)
  3. Phone other suppliers, and tell them you don't want a quote, you just want to know the per unit rate and the standing charge
  4. Decide if you want to fix onto a rate or go to a more variable rate with no exit fees
Also, if you have a SMETS2 and your supplier allows it and you financially can manage it, my big advice here is - don't set up a direct debit for a fixed amount. Get them to bill you for exactly what you use. Right now that means I'm getting a monthly bill of around £400 for the FHL, but come the summer, I'll be getting billed a lot less. It means at the end of the year when I think I'm £1k in credit, I don't get a shock when they reconcile the figures and say, "Oh actually, you owe us another £500".

Above all else, just make sure you don't get caught out if you're on a standard variable tariff - i.e your contract has ended and you've been bumped onto a default rate, because your arse will get felt hard and lovingly come the rate rise in April.

If you decide you want to join Octopus, then you can use this referral code to get £50 (as do I):

but this isn't my focus here. I just don't want folk getting shafted, but I'm just concerned at the number of people not aware really of what's coming. If I get any referrals, I'll donate £25 from each one to Erskine.

Anyone else got a good provider and an idea of their rates or what they're being quoted?

ETA: This website is the dogs balls and shows all the Octopus rates across the country:

Hmm seem to be a baffling number of Octopus tariffs.

Also despite all the shrieking about Smart meters nobody can fit one until July!

So going to stick with what is now the bog standard British Gas import tariiffs, maximize own use of PV, let them fit a smart meter in July then form a view on Import & Export supplier

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Hmm seem to be a baffling number of Octopus tariffs.

Also despite all the shrieking about Smart meters nobody can fit one until July!

So going to stick with what is now the bog standard British Gas import tariiffs, maximize own use of PV, let them fit a smart meter in July then form a view on Import & Export supplier

For SMETS2:

Octopus Go: cheap rate 0030-0430

Octopus Intelligent: cheap rate 0030-0730

Octopus Agile: half hour rates based on wholesale rates, but this pays for feed in and has excellent feed in rates

Blogg

LE
For SMETS2:

Octopus Go: cheap rate 0030-0430

Octopus Intelligent: cheap rate 0030-0730

Octopus Agile: half hour rates based on wholesale rates, but this pays for feed in and has excellent feed in rates

Cheap rate not really a runner, nothing that could take advantage of that.

Have not got my head round the Agile thing yet and how that might work in terms of surge pricing on a cold wet December night

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Cheap rate not really a runner, nothing that could take advantage of that.

Have not got my head round the Agile thing yet and how that might work in terms of surge pricing on a cold wet December night

Have a look. You get the prices 24hrs in advance I believe. Right now is pretty much at cap all day. 2019 you used to go negative overnight and get paid to use leccy