The end of the world IS nigh...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Fiona_TG, Sep 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Is the Daily Mail Online down?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Someone's telling porkies.

4. It's a Muzzer conspiracy........

• Like Like x 1
  5. I was in Aldi tonight and there was stacks of bacon on the shelfs.

However if there is any hint of there being a shortage, Im filling up my freezer!

On a serious note, the price of grain is very high this year leading to problems with livestock feed. The wet weather over the past 4 months(in UK) has ruined a lot of crop and winter feed. This in turn will push up the price of milk, bread, and eggs straight away.

Me and my mates were going to buy a cow and a pig last year, to stock up the freezers. I might do that next year.

6. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Vegetarians 1 Carnivores 0

7. Hogwash!

8. good news. now maybe smallholders will once again be in the market to produce quality produce from small pig production, where it makes sense to boil old fashioned swill , and feed windfall apples , root crops etc as well as protein nuggets.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Conversely, here in Hungary the vast corn and sunflower fields are yellow with lack of rain. Different effect on crops but will also result in foodstuff/feed shortages.
    btw, another sunny day again with temps at 28 degs :)

10. Spot on.

It is too easy to give our livestock feed that is either pored from a bag, or drained from a silo.

If I keep a pig in my mates field that is exactly how he will be fed, with a bit of suppliments and checks from the vet.

When I was a boy I always liked the idea that the left over school dinners were going to swill.

The more rustic diet that you have mentioned is better and more interesting for the animal, and the meat tastes and cooks better from a well looked after smallhold.

I have a great admiration for the smallholder John Bezzant, who regularly publishes articles. Not only is he a self sufficient man, but he is keeping his costs down, recycling and mending, and helping the environment. He is also passing on information that can be learnt and passed on so that it does not get lost, I feel as if that is the most important part of it because technology is taking over our traditional yearning to provide for ourselves.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wasn't the feeding of pig swill to any farm animals outlawed by the last government in the wake of the F&M hysteria? Feeding even chickens with kitchen waste is likely to result in a visit by DEFRA* as far as I understand it.

Raising your own animals for slaughter and stocking your own and friends freezers is also likely to infringe regulations on using authorised slaughter houses. Lose, lose for farmers and the occasional small-holder. It is more economical to take grants and not bother using the land - the supermarkets can then import more food from foreign suppliers who pick and choose what regulations to follow.

Not known as Dept for Elimination of Farming for nothing!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Understood mate.

If we have a pig for the freezer it will be part of my neighbours stock as he is a livestock farmer. In turn that means that everything will be well within the rules. When it comes to slaughter it will be done through the local butcher in an authorised slaughter house as a favour to us so that it keeps the costs down.

Not a full on attempt at rearing smallhold stock, but a good way to fill the freezer up. As far as swill and feeding goes if it crosses the line then we won't do it, however if we can stick to a more traditional and natural diet then it's a go.

This is more of an extension to what me and my pals already do. My freezer has Rabbits in it just now, and it's nearly Pheasant season. Salmon will be there for us in November etc.

13. Pork is and has been for ages, the cheapest meat to buy. A pig for sale at market has been fetching low prices. At christmas, last year, a farmer near here, only got £20 for three pigs. So very little profit in pig farming

Can see the price rising, but until we can export them in large numbers pork will always be a cheap option.