The End of the World as we know it.....

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by tuffy52, Aug 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It appears that the Sun is reach the climax of it's 10yr cycle and could wipe out all Comms Systems.
    Is it yet another Doomsday scenario or what?.
    Any views (sensible)?.

World On Alert For Massive Solar Storm

2. Buy shares in Alcoa...

3. I do hope it is. I Realise i would suffer too - but it would be worth it to see the lost looks on the faces of all the little cnuts suddenly deprived of their iphones & tablet thingies. It would all be, to say the least, interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  4. No. This is arrant tosh.

The only breakdown in 'civilisation' from disrupted comms might be from chavvy elements of society not being able to FB or twatter for a few hours.

5. I think it's more the case that we're discovering minutiae just because we can. Then, to justify the research costs, it's got to be heralded as something really important. Make it of catastrophic proportions and you've guaranteed funding for further research.

Besides, I've looked up the events that unfolded in the last "biggest" solar storm in 1859 and come across nothing about airliner or computer system crashes.

• Like Like x 14
  6. I was only discussing something similar this morning with the bloke in the caravan next door. We were talking about how a whole generation are so reliant of electronic equipment that they would be completely stuck if it all failed.
    It came about by him telling me about his son who bid on something from Ebay which had to be picked up in Liverpool. They started off from Norwich and within half an hour the sat nav packed up, as no-one in the van could read a map, their journey from Norwich to Liverpool went via Luton.

7. Did they ever make it back?

8. Could that be because they used valves instead of transistors? I'm sure I read something about our equipment being valve powered to withstand EMP from nuclear blasts. Anyone verify this?

9. I hope not and I hope their tyres got nicked when they arrived in Liverpool!!! Not that I'm stereo-typing at all. :sunny:

10. Charles Babbage need not have worried overly much...

11. I seem to remember in the early 90s that this cropped up. Being a BAOR member of good standing (for which I expect a publicly bought NDM and a civic reception to thank me) I was advised to ensure all sensitive electronics were shielded and this I immediately did. I then had a horrid thought and drifted down to the local bar in order to protect the supply of ale and offered my services as an 'Elektroniker Shutzbiertrink'.

The end of the Cold War was hell man. You don't know, you weren't there.

• Like Like x 1
  12. You could be right. I believe that early aero engines were of the monosoupape design. Could have been intuition on the part of Victorian engineers. Certainly Babbage didn't trust transistors.

13. BTW, valves are EMP proof to a degree. It's just that they're shit.

14. /images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Spacehopper383 /images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
    Could that be because they used valves instead of transistors? I'm sure I read something about our equipment being valve powered to withstand EMP from nuclear blasts. Anyone verify this?

/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by putteesinmyhands
    ...the last "biggest" solar storm in 1859...

Note to self, stop trying to be a clever bastard and read the posts properly. Hopefully no-one else noticed my mistake.:joker:

15. Yes. It's ironic that something that'll withstand a 100 Megaton explosion can't survive a 3 foot drop.

• Like Like x 3