The End Of The War - On Motorists

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Legs, May 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'll believe it when I see it, but if they'd said this 2 weeks ago we might not have a Coalition Government.
    Daily Mail Link

2. Cant see it happening myself, speed cameras are a good revenue earner, besides which they have a £400Million per year police overtime habit to pay for, where else are they going to get the revenue?

3. Having just been asked to pat £415 return for the sleeper train from Aberdeen to London in a few weeks time, I have to say good, because public transport is SHIT!

4. "Sweating the assets of the infrastructure" is Toryspeak for no new investment.

Of course overutilising our assets means more cost down the line in net terms. We save in the budget year only for it to be picked up plus remedial costs later.

That is your road has a hole, so you patch it repeatedly, avoiding capital spend but it gets so big that eventually the capital spend in four years is exponentially greater, as the repeated repairs have extended the damage etc.

Spiel for hoisting onto the next suckers the basketcase infrastucture that is falling apart at the seams. But we all applaud the budget numbers within the next three years huzzah and hurrah with highly...

5. How do you suggest that we fund the repairs?

6. Tangent: I believe the Tories' goal will be to be re-elected at all costs. Get early very visible successes so the voting public perceive them as fiscal gods.

Infrastructure investment should be planned on 20 year cycles: long-term strategic transport vision, within clear vision of Britain’s needs. If you believe that creating capacity ahead of demand is actually more efficient than 120% utilisation of assets then we commit to capacity building. As the Spanish and French have done with their rail networks.

Remember in the 50s when France envisioned its rail network it empowered its transport minister to flatten your house if it ensured that Chardonnay wasn’t spilt whilst being poured at 400kph.

In the 50s in the UK we asked Doris the tea lady if she was happy with our transport plan because Brown Label tea wasn’t available in Aberdeen after 5.30pm and Doris preferred Brown Label! QED!

7. "Infrastructure investment should be planned on 20 year cycles: long-term strategic transport vision, within clear vision of Britain’s needs."

Just like the previous government did, with infrastructure projects like the Power Stations, 13 years too frit to mention replacement, and it now looks like we will suffer brown outs before the new Nuclear stations come online. Same as their plans for transport - not many new motorways built since 1997,

8. Tangent. You can plan all you like. You can even produce a good plan, but if you don't have the cash, you can't do it.
    So how do we fund it?

9. You fund from creating efficiencies by timed investments; £1 spent this year on long-term-infrastructure returns £10 in 6 years. £1 spent over three years (Tories) on maintaining repairs with decreasing capacity returns -£1 (decreasing capacity because the demand will grow).

Hence funding comes from Return on Investment over time.

UK is a business; it creates economic value from its assets. You sit on the M6 in your big 18 wheeler for 1,000 hours longer over the next three years, that hits your bottom line, that hits govt revenues.

The ‘road asset’ then loses value, loses cash incomes. That is the same as sweating the assets.

You know as a business that your core products/service deserve the very first slice of reinvested profits. You guard those revenue cash cows with threats of death; sweat those assets too long because you’re having fun opening stores in Baghdad or Kabul because you want to impress your US competitor then you have no business eventually.

10. Aye... don't think any post-war British govt has successfully enacted long-term planning or conceived our 'role' on this planet. We've stumbled from crisis to crisis; although many ideologies have infused our 'thinking' e.g. liberalisation of society and economy, laissez faire economics, Europe/US 'adaptive tension', belief in modernity (and thereby secularisation), statism... erm?

11. So, because Labour didn't do it it is wrong to suggest it now?

12. "UK is a business; it creates economic value from its assets. You sit on the M6 in your big 18 wheeler for 1,000 hours longer over the next three years, that hits your bottom line, that hits govt revenues"

It doesnt really hit Government revenues, quite the opposite, the truck standing idle in queues for 1000 hours burns more fuel, ergo more duty/VAT. The driver performing 1000 more hours work is 1000 hours of labour that can be taxed, and 1000 hours of truck ownership is a bonus from a Vehicle Duty point of view. The loser in all this is Business.

13. "So, because Labour didn't do it it is wrong to suggest it now? "

Read the thread you buffoon, I know that is difficult for you.

I didnt say it was wrong to suggest it now, it should have been planned 13 years ago once Labour took office, not as a last minute thought within the last year of office.

14. It's an economic illustration not an accounting line by line exercise. Try and address the 'textual whole'.

15. While we are on about the M6, can anybody tell me why the super-douper TOLL road is so bloody expensive, £10 for a wagon even cheap rate is £9.
    Its almost like the builders don't want you to use it. For what its diverted in traffic off of the actual M6 its a monumental waste of PFI.
    With regards roads I know its old fashioned but can't we actually spend "Road Tax" on the roads.

CG