The end of the Gurkhas?

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by armchair_jihad, Apr 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article3740061.ece

2. I can see many elements in New Labour using 'its the will of the Nepalese people' as an excuse, also having met much of the FCO & DiFD types in Katmandu I can see them agitating for it.

3. are all maoists anti gurkha or are there ex gurkhas in the maoist organisations.i have a few nepalese friends and for what ever reason they have never mentioned the maoists.has this all happened quickly and my friends are just out of touch?

4. The Maoists have for years had the abolition of the Gurkhas as a policy, unfortunetly the DiFD and the FCO under its current management won't create a fuss if the Maoist threat is carried out, they will use it as an excuse to abolish yet another part of the UK's heritage in the name of progress.

Save the MoD some money and stop all of that 'give Gurkhas citizenship and pensions' stuff in the newspapers.

5. i would have thought that gurkha pensions was a good source of foreign currency for nepal.

6. The Maoists don't see it that way and neither do the International Aid Community in Katmandu (they are all very left of centre and very anti Military). The fact that they are all uterly incompetant is shown by the UN's own figures that over 30 years foriegn development in Nepal has actually failed to achieve anything of note. Hence the Maoists being seen as a possible solution (that veiw will change quickly).

Remember that in the only just ended civil war, the part of Nepali society that the Gurkhas come from were fighting for the King against the commies. A nasty conflict lots of bestial atrocities including sawing people in half in front of a village to make a political point.

7. I once read that "returning Gurkhas" were the third largest source of funds to the Nepalese economy.

8. KATHMANDU (Reuters) - For nearly two centuries, Nepal's valiant Gurkha soldiers have battled their foes with guns and their lethal kukri knives, which tradition demands must draw blood every time it is unsheathed.

But in a narrow lane off Nepal's parliament complex, they prepare for a battle of a different kind -- not with weapons but printing machines and fliers. Their enemy: a life-altering new diktat from Nepal's rulers-elect, the Maoists.

The Maoists, who won a surprise election this month after a decade of civil war, want to stop a 200-year-old tradition of Gurkhas enrolling in the British and Indian armies, calling the practice humiliating and mercenary.

More on link:

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSDEL28446420080424?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&rpc=22&sp=true

9. Anybody aware of the reaction in India?

Whilst we have 2bn of Gurkhas my understanding was that they had 59 bn so I suspect the issues being flagged here are likely to have a proportionally bigger impact on the Indian Army.

lancslad

10. I recall listening to some Gurkhas of 2/2 GR extolling the virtues of Chinese style communism as far back as 1976 so I am quite sure there are more than a few former Brit Gurkhas in Nepal's Maoist Party.

As soon as the Maoists cement their power (just watch the amount of Chinese aid and the number of Chinese 'advisors' pouring into Nepal in the next year or so) throughout the country and indoctrination begins in schools - Chinese good - imperialists bad - young Nepalis so indoctrinated will be increasingly reluctant to join a foreign army.

11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, I've met some in Nepal and even here in the UK who speak admiringly of the "Maobodhi". GAESO (Gurkha Army Ex Servicemen's Organisation) used to back various Marxist politicians and were habitually critical of the UK in general and MoD and Bde of Gurkhas in particular. All those on here that view everything Gurkha through Raj-tinted spectacles would be truly shocked at the number of bitter and disgruntled ex British Gurkhas out there.

a_j, I'm going to hazard a guess a suggest that perhaps to you haven't visited those communities in the last ten years. Those villages in the foothills which give us the Gurkhas are exactly where the seat of Maoist support lay. The villages in Gorkha province were almost completely Maoist run as far back as 6-7 years ago.

People there live in the most elemental, subsistence existence, that political allegiances are based on concepts no more complex than fair treatment from the police and efficient provision of electrical power and drinking water. That providing the last two is one of the major aims of the Gurkha Welfare Trust, its activities and personnel were pretty much unmolested by the Maoists for fear of alienating their popular support.

12. A Nepalese bloke (I was recently on hols there) explained to me that a lot of people in the towns and cities wouldn't be voting as to vote you must return to your place of birth - for many urbanites this might be a village they would have to return to in order to vote. Not surprising then I suppose if the Maoists whose powerbase is amongst the rural communities do well. I also came across a lot of (though obviously not a representative survey) urban voter apathy... One taxi driver asked if I thought the US might not recognise the elections because of the result. I reassured him that didn't think there'd be any danger of that, but an interesting point.

13. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Except that now there is a Right of Residence in the UK on retirement how many will go back once they retire?