The end of cavalry ?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by coded, Aug 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not to worry. After they achieve independents, the Scottish Government will further merge them with the Strathclyde Police's Traffic Wardens department.

2. In some ways this is a shame.....in others it's not.

One bloke in particular from the Scots DG is a complete waster (now a Lt Col.......but was never the CO)! A tosser of the highest order.

One other bloke from the Scots DG is a top bloke (ex REME WO1 and now a Maj).

The end of the world is nigh for many Regiments/Units. Let's hope it's done as fairly, efficiently and expeditiously as possible.

3. .................................

Typical misinformation. There is to be a merging of Capability leading HQs into Capability Directorates, (not of Regiments (Yet!).) Hopefully this will put an end to the often petty bickering that takes place when DRAC or DINF have a diferent personal view regarding the best way, and most appropriate assets that can be used, to achieve a particular task.

Bottom line is stay as you are.

4. Surely a Dragoon is a Mounted Infantryman?

5. CB & AS perchance?!

6. So based on your and GeneralMalaise opinions the regiment should be scrapped or not scrapped as it had a good bloke (not in the Regt.) and a bad bloke.

7. The Sunday Times also ran this but I have thrown it away already, so from memory:

There will be four directorates: Combat Arms (Infantry and Armour [Cavalry]); Combat Support (Artillery and Engineers); Combat Enabling (REME and Logistics Corp) and Combat Information (Signals and ?). This makes sense. The article then went on to suggest that there would be established combined arms battlegroups. This makes less sense and I think is speculation or misinterpretation. But combined arms battlegroups might be the PTB's idea of how a multi role brigade is established. If so its not going to work. My other worry is that the five close support regiments RA are apparently to be a mix of 105 Lt Gun and SP90, which in my opinion is neither fish nor fowl.

8. Can you eloborate on why that might be so?

9. I was locked in square brigade mode. Thinking about it, there's no reason why combined arms battlegroups couldn't have the same flexibility. But what exactly are we to have? A mix of infantry heavy/armour heavy or all one type? It also implies that manning and records will have to be combined

10. My god that is terrible, how will they do it?

11. I alway thought that attack helicopters have taken over the role of the Cavalry. Scouting, and hit and run in the enemies rear.

12. But Air Cav would have been much better at deep penetration.

13. It makes huge sense to build directorates around operational capabilities.

For example, armoured warfare directorate to generate and provide doctrine, policy, training and equipment requirements to CR2, WR, AS-90 & armd RE elements; ISTAR directorate for all the various current capbadge meddling; Fires directorate, perhaps; combat support directorate; combat services directorate and so on.

I guess that might be too joined up for the professional officer to get his/her head around.

14. Originally Posted by Flash MacTavish
    I alway thought that attack helicopters have taken over the role of the Cavalry. Scouting, and hit and run in the enemies rear.

Boktankie But Air Cav would have been much better at deep penetration.

I think that this is leading up a one way street?