Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by hottottie, Jun 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Kerrching-kerrching......for those based in UK it is ENDEX

Not in Tuesdays budget but soon to follow in SDR

....according to my mate Chalkie anyway
  2. If it applies to The Army,it must apply also to The Foreign Office,ODA and other hangers on?
  3. If this is true it's going to be interesting. CEA, rightly or wrongly, has come to be a significant retention incentive for many...

5. That's because officers move about far more often. There are still many non-officers that use CEA.
  6. It's been squeezed for FCO for some time for officers in UK. I think there you are inelegible already unless you already have one overseas posting under you belt, or personnel are ready to state you'll be posted in the next while. There are already break points (end prep school, end GCSEs), so there was no guarantee that the entire education would be funded.

FCO can expect to be treated differently to the armed forces as a
    muchhigher proportion of it's staff are overseas. Don't know if that's true of DfID as a Dept, or what the arrangements are for MoD (which is the dept with most people posted abroad), or for other depts who post staff overseas (eg trade and visa staff), nor what will happen for military personnel posted as military attaches in diplomatic posts if key dates in the children's education do not fit the postings plot.

How will schools in garrison towns cope with the surge in demand?
  7. Interesting, but just because you are in the UK does not mean that you can achieve continuity of education, nor indeed will paying CEA whilst someone is posted abroad as many postings are for 2 or 3 years, and then back to the UK, hardly achieving the aim.

Looking at the larger picture how would the schools in the various garrisons cope with a large influx of children if schools do not have capacity to take additional pupils?

I am not saying that CEA is not open to cuts, the civil service has been after it for years but the practicalities of providing education for service children is far more complex than it seems.
  8. The biggest claimers of CEA in Germany are SCE teachers.
  9. For a number of reasons I don't think CEA will go entirely, but the screw will gradually tighten.

One possible next step is to limit it to key stages of education (basically 13-18) for those already meeting the eligibility criteria.
  10. Or an expansion to state boarding provision?

Boarding Free schools (under new rules)?

Then only the boarding element would be payable, making the fees roughly half that of independent. And same rate would be all that was on offer to parents who sent their children to independents anyway - that covers the continuity element, and it would be left solely to parents to decide if they wanted to pay for a non-State/Free tuition component.

Full fees payable only if there were genuinely no vacancies in state boarding schools - something that could easily be monitored. And something that would becomer rarer as provision developed to meet demand.

And I suppose the Free school concept would also cover surge in demand in Garrison towns. Take the idea on a thread I saw yesterday about setting up a school with a military ethos; develop this into a set of schools following a curriculum in the same order (so the children don't end up doing Vikings three times and Romans never etc), and it could be a winner.
  11. Continuity of Education Allowance (CEA) is available to entitled personnel of any rank but it is worth noting that more junior ranks are less likely to have children of boarding school age. Latest figures for the award:

House of Lords written answers 16 Mar 2010
  12. That is a hell of a lot of money that is effectively usurped by something like 5% of the Armed Forces! I'm sure all of them can justify it if they shout loud enough, but how many of these claimants have been static posted for years, or at least haven't been out of the UK since schooling started?
  13. I can see the benefits of a child in boarding school while parents are in the Army. Regardless of whether they are in the UK all the moving about every 2 years is not good for their education at a crucial time.

However I do believe that it shoudln't be funded for selfish people who send their children who are of primary school ages. Why have a child just to send them off at 5 to boarding school
  14. None, unless they are committing fraud. Eligibility of CEA requires that the claimant continues to be posted. Being in the same loc for more than 4 years makes one ineligible. COs also need to sign certificates annually to confirm that a claimant's circumstances still meet the CEA eligibility requirements. A key requirement is for the serviceperson to be accompanied by their spouse on each posting; if your spouse is going to stay put while you move then your family circumstances can provide continuity of education.

Of course there are a few each year who manage to be less than transparent about their eligibility but the system is usually policed well enough to find them out pretty quickly.
  15. Legs

As someone who "benefits" from CEA I will defend my corner as we play by the rules (6 moves since 2001 and another to come later this year, including two postings in different parts of Europe, one with no service schooling provision) therefore I too am interested in those who have managed to remain "static" and still claim CEA.

How ddo they ever manage that, and do they realise that their actions are putting at risk the continuity of education of those who have had to move?

So can the other 9089 in receipt of CEA say the same or have they all managed to convince their CO's that they are mobile accompanied when they sign the Part 3 of Mobility Certificate.

Edited to add as Sangreal posted whilst I was making a cup of tea.

I do not dispute the fact that there are a number of hoops that people go through, and that it is fraud if they do not comply, however I have never heard of anyone who has been disciplined for this or even asked to pay back the CEA.

I do however know of a number of people who whilst they are posted on a regular basis have remained in either their own homes or even quarters and still claimed. I do not mean this as swipe at the RAF, but they do seem particularly fond of this, as do a number of RN types, so I feel that the policing is not as effective as it should or could be.