The End of Black History Month

There's been a fair bit on this thread about cultural misappropriation and how black people are constantly appropriating our culture, yet have the gall to complain when some weird white "wigga" wears a rasta T shirt or something. Anyway here's one bit of their culture I can't see anyone appropriating (unless you're Welsh).

Londo

LE
There's been a fair bit on this thread about cultural misappropriation and how black people are constantly appropriating our culture, yet have the gall to complain when some weird white "wigga" wears a rasta T shirt or something. Anyway here's one bit of their culture I can't see anyone appropriating (unless you're Welsh).

Is that Diane Abbott he/she/it is kissing ?

Chef

LE

I can see the conversation now,

'What the hell are you doing son?'

'You're not going to believe this dad but in 'Farmers Weekly' it says...'

"Who was the first person to discover that you can get milk fae a Coo and what did he think he was doing at the time?' - Billy Connolly :)

bestri10

Old-Salt

Can african blacks be offended about someone wearing a rasta shirt if the whole rastafarian thing is not african (i have also heard it is quite common for Africans and those from the Carribean to not get on well), in fact would it not be racist to assume that because they are black they are from the Carribean? Much like im sure its racist to assume that just because someone is black that they must have had ancestors who were slaves...
People would be surprised that not everything is black culture just like dreadlocks which were supposedly first seen in Greece, so anyone saying dreadlocks is a black thing, racist and appropriating a different culture?

TamH70

MIA
Can african blacks be offended about someone wearing a rasta shirt if the whole rastafarian thing is not african (i have also heard it is quite common for Africans and those from the Carribean to not get on well), in fact would it not be racist to assume that because they are black they are from the Carribean? Much like im sure its racist to assume that just because someone is black that they must have had ancestors who were slaves...
People would be surprised that not everything is black culture just like dreadlocks which were supposedly first seen in Greece, so anyone saying dreadlocks is a black thing, racist and appropriating a different culture?
You're trying to reason this all out with sane thinking, that wont ever work, just accept that if your white its your fault and get on with you day oppressing everyone else.

Can african blacks be offended about someone wearing a rasta shirt if the whole rastafarian thing is not african
Umm, Emperor Haile Selasie?
aka Ras Tafari
Jamaicans worshiping an African is no different to Europeans worshiping a Middle-Eastern Jew.
Rastafari is Afrocentric and focuses attention on the African diaspora, which it believes is oppressed within Western society, or "Babylon". Many Rastas call for this diaspora's resettlement in Africa, a continent they consider the Promised Land, or "Zion".

aka Ras Tafari
Jamaicans worshiping an African is no different to Europeans worshiping a Middle-Eastern Jew.
Rastafari is Afrocentric and focuses attention on the African diaspora, which it believes is oppressed within Western society, or "Babylon". Many Rastas call for this diaspora's resettlement in Africa, a continent they consider the Promised Land, or "Zion".
Boney M walt

aka Ras Tafari

I've never heard Rasta mouse call for the diaspora to settle in Africa

Does that mean the BBC are a bunch of racists?

TamH70

MIA

Latest Threads