The End of Black History Month

University of Kent now so woke it's a centre of woke pushback

The article you posted took me to another article which stated this (love the last sentence)):

Three-quarters of academics who were surveyed support Left-wing parties; fewer than one in five support parties of the Right. Just 9% of academics in the social sciences and humanities voted to Leave the European Union and just 7% identify as “right of centre”. It also points to how those who do deviate from the orthodoxy experience a tough time.

Only 54%of academics would feel comfortable sitting next to a Leave supporter over lunch.......

Not really in keeping with the thread topic but interesting I thought. Especially if you are a full on, Tory gammon like me.

syrup

LE
Ive heard that story before, it seems to get expanded on every time I hear it.

Who ordered the pubs to do anything? The yanks had no authority and it wouldnt have been the Brits.

I also doubt any British soldiers were in the area to conveniently stop the American MPs arresting an American soldier.

Its does however make for a delightful story how not racist the British were.

Maybe it's grown some legs but it's the version the Americans seem happy to go with

Has this been shown here yet? Starkey (although a pouffe - boo, boo!) knives through the various issues and lays them out as well as can be done. One of our best minds, cancelled by some of our least.

Why are they so determined to belong to a nation on a totally different continent from their roots that colonised, enslaved and institutionally racismed them and all their ancestors?

Londo

LE
Why are they so determined to belong to a nation on a totally different continent from their roots that colonised, enslaved and institutionally racismed them and all their ancestors?
Almost every house that I have been to that is owned or rented by someone that hails from Africa has a big flag of the country they come from pinned to the wall .
If they are so proud of those countries , why are they here and not turning the country they are so loving of into a better place ?

Almost every house that I have been to that is owned or rented by someone that hails from Africa has a big flag of the country they come from pinned to the wall .
If they are so proud of those countries , why are they here and not turning the country they are so loving of into a better place ?

I do something like that as well!

ACAB

LE
The article you posted took me to another article which stated this (love the last sentence)):

Three-quarters of academics who were surveyed support Left-wing parties; fewer than one in five support parties of the Right. Just 9% of academics in the social sciences and humanities voted to Leave the European Union and just 7% identify as “right of centre”. It also points to how those who do deviate from the orthodoxy experience a tough time.

Only 54%of academics would feel comfortable sitting next to a Leave supporter over lunch.......

Not really in keeping with the thread topic but interesting I thought. Especially if you are a full on, Tory gammon like me.

And the Grand March through the institutions continues. Courtesy of the war criminal, Blair.

Out of idle curiosity & thinking about Britain’s role in ending the slave trade. Does anyone know what the other continental powers did about the trade at the same time. Was France supportive for example?

Out of idle curiosity & thinking about Britain’s role in ending the slave trade. Does anyone know what the other continental powers did about the trade at the same time. Was France supportive for example?
Yes.
The frogs banned slavery at the time of the Revolution, but Bonaparet re-introduced it in about 1800 for the sugar growing colonies.
Britain had a 'workable' navy, the Frogs didn't, so Britain's role on the seas was highlighted.
The yanks obviously had a stink about it, but the Portuguese fell in line - they had shifted enough bodies to Brazil by then.
Slavery NOT involving sea trade was another issue - within Africa, the Porras and Arabs and tribes were enslaving folk left, right, and centre.
The Dutch took a lot of slaves from Africa to their S American colonies, but also took a lot TO Africa, from Malay etc.
To alleviate ethical concerns about slavery raised by Christians, it was argued that in Genesis 9 it states that descendants of Ham are cursed into slavery, since Ham's descendants are interpreted by some as having populated Africa.
By the 1820s/30s, the Dutch in Safferland had a strop about emancipating slaves, and upped sticks and moved inland, taking their slaves with them.
These cloggies became the Boers, and they had a part in history afterwards which you may know.

Clunker

Old-Salt
Supposesly american leaders wanted us to segregate pubs/bars but the majority of Brits refused and many pubs even opened them to only black GIs.
As the US army was segregated at the time the unit was African American with White officers.
You could spin this as the Army wanting Officer Pubs and O.R. Pubs but that would not be racist.
Never a mention of what the MPs wanted the soldier for.

ITV attempted a hatchet job on Jim Davidson last week under the Black History Month umbrella, with Channel 4 trying same using the same material on Gogglebox on Friday. Jim fired back at ITV via his own website & youtube, and I suspect he'll take on Ch4 too in the next few days.

I suspect it all depends on the University. I'll bet the more commercially minded don't give a damn. I'm currently going through the Open University, and we had a module on US race relations. I pointed out (with evidence) that the terminology changes so much, so quickly, it's impossible not to cause offence, so I'll be sticking to the IC codes, thank you!
Got a 'well done!' from my tutor on that. His stance was 'If you can prove it, then it's all good!'. He was ex-forces though, so it might be a factor.
However, we had disagreement on Hobbes Vs Rousseau and the nature of man. I still think that Hobbes is right if you've got an Arrse account!

Tuffty

War Hero
I can't remember reading about the Nazis having a Black History Month, perhaps they saved it for the Berlin Olympic Games
No but they did tell everyone what to read and watch, pretty much like BLM really, if your not with us your against us and a racist kinda thing

I was going to ask the same as it seems to have been going on since about April. According to the BBC, every month is now Black History Month so which lunar calendar are they using?
When I started this thread, I was being ironic, as it was obvious to me at the time that this stuff is relentless and never ending.
If anything, it has become even more dominant in the past year.
However, I’m blowed if I’m going to be marginalised or have to apologise for the fact I’m an ex Regular Army (baby killing) gammon OAP and a born and bred Northern Englishman to boot. Lots of the wrong type of boxes ticked off there!
After all, can’t calling someone a gammon be classed as racist itself?!

Latest Threads