The Empire Strikes Back - New bases in Asia & Caribbean

The RN had Sembawang airfield, IIRC. Isn't the port nearer Changi?.

Either way, it would be good to see the Brits back in Singa.

A few new customers for the 'entertainment' establishments on Bugis Street?.
New customers?

Horlicks - Should the RN ever return then Jack-me-Tickler will resume his previous role among the star entertainers.

Hence my belief having seen the argument of Niall Ferguson that the BEF should've stayed at home in 1914.

WW1 and again WW2 resulted in the richest empire in the old world transferring its wealth to the new world
Might want to read up on what the Germans had planned if they’d won WW1 (let alone WW2). If Britain didn’t get involved in 1914 we’d have been fighting the victorious Central Powers sooner or later and probably on our own.
We were on our way out as a superpower prior to the war and I doubt much could have been done to stop. The wars simply sped up the decline.

Might want to read up on what the Germans had planned if they’d won WW1 (let alone WW2). If Britain didn’t get involved in 1914 we’d have been fighting the victorious Central Powers sooner or later and probably on our own.
We were on our way out as a superpower prior to the war and I doubt much could have been done to stop. The wars simply sped up the decline.
Would the Germans have attempted to hold the entirety of France (and Belgium) and occupy it in perpetuity, or take a nice big chunk plus reparations, as in 1871?

Was utter subjugation of the continent the Germans war aim? Was it achievable?

Basically Ferguson argues that without the BEF, the 1st battle of the Marne would have tipped in the Germans favour and allow them to win the war in the West.

Brillliant! you're as mental as ever.
It would be the Romanians, Bulgarians and every other crackpot country which has f/a to do with the UK culturally, historically and politically.
Of course. Because everyone knows that some random Serbians just decided to assassinate people at random and the events that lead up to Franz Ferdinand's untimely demise had nothing to do with any external influence or foreign policy. I suggest you read up on the first and second Balkan wars and Britain's involvement.

At least now we're spreading into the Atlantic and south Asia we can work with the Anglosphere, incidentally, that's what Churchill wanted for post war Britain.
I'd like to see your source for this statement. What he definitely said was this: http://www.churchill-society-london.org.uk/astonish.html[/QUOTE]

Would the Germans have attempted to hold the entirety of France (and Belgium) and occupy it in perpetuity, or take a nice big chunk plus reparations, as in 1871?

Basically Ferguson argues that without the BEF, the 1st battle of the Marne would have tipped in the Germans favour and allow them to win the war in the West.
Belgium and Luxembourg were to be annexed to Germany and Serbia to A-H. In relation to Russia and France I’d imagine the Germans would have helped themselves to Poland and a chunk of French Africa as part of any peace treaty.
With France and Russia defeated European subjugation would have been achieved, as the mercenary Italians would have honoured their alliance and jumped in with the Central Powers rather than betray them as they did in reality. How long would such German primacy have lasted is a different discussion.
Ferguson’s book, I’m assuming you mean The Pity Of War, is interesting but parts of it are just revisionist bollocks frankly. He did a BBC show based on it a few years ago where he put his argument to an audience that had Britain stayed out of WW1 the Germans would have won and established a version of the EU decades earlier and we’d have avoided WW2. He then got a solid verbal shoeing by a panel of other historians.

The RN is still in Changi, we own a jetty and refuelling facilities there. There are small numbers of UK staff, plus larger numbers of Australian and US personnel who are effectively lodger units. The fuelling facilities make a profit, selling fuel to friendly Navies.
Good to hear that. It will be excellent to see a more visible UK Armed Forces presence back out there.

I guess the Five Power Defence Agreement is part and parcel of this?.

It would also be nice to see a pair of squadrons of Tiffs based in Singapore, but I suppose that would be a dream too far.

Rubbish
History of Singapore - Wikipedia

We still have a massive Naval Depot in Singapore, 2nd largest in the Asia Pacific Region

So 1 post three statements, all wrong
When the UK pull-out was announced, Lee Kuan Yew flew to London and pleaded with Wilson to cancel or delay the pull-out. Wilson delayed the pull-out by 9 months.

I don't have any links for this, but a visit to the Republic of Singapore Air Force museum at Paya Lebar AB will yield the relevant Straits Times articles on this subject. It's in black and white, and I see no reason to disbelieve what is displayed whatsoever.

Will I get free penicillin shots as well? Maybe a feline distemper vaccination just to be sure?
You may also wish to consider rabies, and "mad cow" ;) ?!

When the UK pull-out was announced, Lee Kuan Yew flew to London and pleaded with Wilson to cancel or delay the pull-out. Wilson delayed the pull-out by 9 months.

I don't have any links for this, but a visit to the Republic of Singapore Air Force museum at Paya Lebar AB will yield the relevant Straits Times articles on this subject. It's in black and white, and I see no reason to disbelieve what is displayed whatsoever.
The UK has paid lip service to the 5 Power Defence agreement over the last 40 or so years, but in the last couple of years there has been a lot more activity in Southeast Asia, exercising FPDA. Singapore is an interesting country and in many respects, has parallels with Israel. She .doesn’t trust any of its neighbours, remains fiercely independent, but looks for technical support from the west. They have long resisted having a permanent US presence on the island but the current U.S. Navy footprint is fairly small. One of the reasons the Royal Navy shore party has been based in Singapore for so long was to allow the US to use facilities there.

The Boer War damaged the myth of Imperial invincibility and we resorted to less-than-civilised methods to subdue the Boers. We simply could not compete with an emerging United States.

Yes and yes (and not or)

No (of course not) and yes (if they resorted to methods used twenty odd years later)

Yes - correct (and the French would have never forgiven us)

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Ah I see where you are going, I'm looking at Independence and Merger with Malaysia in the 1960s, whilst you are looking at the post Independence withdrawal of British Forces in the 1970s.

And yes, Singapore were shocked as they had been assured that the withdrawal program would conducted in stages, Wilson brought the complete withdrawal date forward by some 4 years. The issue was not that they didn't want us to leave, but rather they didn't want us to leave before they had time to properly set up their own defence forces, a somewhat different context than what your more terse post suggested.

British withdrawal from Singapore | Infopedia

Ah I see where you are going, I'm looking at Independence and Merger with Malaysia in the 1960s, whilst you are looking at the post Independence withdrawal of British Forces in the 1970s.

And yes, Singapore were shocked as they had been assured that the withdrawal program would conducted in stages, Wilson brought the complete withdrawal date forward by some 4 years. The issue was not that they didn't want us to leave, but rather they didn't want us to leave before they had time to properly set up their own defence forces, a somewhat different context than what your more terse post suggested.

British withdrawal from Singapore | Infopedia
I'm sure Singapore would like at least a token UK presence still, one that could be re-enforced should the need arise.

Wilson damaged British interests in the Far East- quite conceivably deliberately so.