The Empire Strikes Back - New bases in Asia & Caribbean

No thread on this then? Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

"The U.K. is working on plans to build two new military bases in the Caribbean and southeast Asia, the Sunday Telegraph reported, citing an interview with Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson."

I can understand new bases in Asia with the rise of China, but why do we need bases in the Caribbean? Not that I'm against it. Maybe we can bring back the West India Station?

*Britain to become 'true global player' post-Brexit with military bases in South East Asia and Caribbean, says Defence Secretary

Last edited:
And how are we going to pay for or man them?
Stay at home and buy popcorn would be my advice. We need patrols closer to home eg the channel to stop drugs getting in, and as for squaring off to the PRC ...FFS ..

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Jesus wept. A 'true global player': the Brexit delusion writ large where a mid-sized European nation refuses to believe that the days of Empire are well and truly gone.

Wonderful, the atlas will be mostly coloured pink again. Rule Britannia, huzzah and hurrah.
I look forward to giving those Fuzzy-Wuzzy's a damned good licking.

4(T)

LE
We've got barely enough assets to cover the Channel. What are they proposing to deploy to these stations?

clambuster

Old-Salt
Jesus wept. A 'true global player': the Brexit delusion writ large where a mid-sized European nation refuses to believe that the days of Empire are well and truly gone.
Independence for Scotland eh? Out of one empire into another, aways at the bottom.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think the Empire bit was humor. you should try it. It's fun.
The reference to it in the thread title was clearly designed as 'humor' (sic) but the presumption behind it is based on a mindset that fails to acknowledge that they're living off the past glories of a war started 80 years ago that bankrupted the UK.

Truly global player? My backside.

kevster

Old-Salt
We've got barely enough assets to cover the Channel. What are they proposing to deploy to these stations?
Maybe the plan is to recruit and man locally? Perhaps its all part of the cunning plan to solve the HM Forces recruiting and retention issues. First, remove the residency requirements (done, tick). Then raise local, oh I don't know, let's call them levies for want of a better word, and include them in the manning figures. Finally, it's back to the mess for gins all round, and a spot of jam rolly poly.

Last edited:
Standby for a mass of Non Boiling Hot Weather injury claims from Gingers. 'No-one told me Jamaica was hot in summer.'

The reference to it in the thread title was clearly designed as 'humor' (sic) but the presumption behind it is based on a mindset that fails to acknowledge that they're living off the past glories of a war started 80 years ago that bankrupted the UK.

France has made you cynical. So un Scottish.

And how are we going to pay for or man them?
Stay at home and buy popcorn would be my advice. We need patrols closer to home eg the channel to stop drugs getting in, and as for squaring off to the PRC ...FFS ..
Maybe the plan is to recruit and man locally? Perhaps its all part of the cunning plan to solve the HM Forces recruiting and retention issues. First, remove the residency requirements (done, tick). Then raise local, oh I don't know, let's call them levies for want of a better word, and include them in the manning figures. Finally, it's back to the mess for gins all round, and a spot of jam roll poly.
There is a new thread, about the just launched Army recruitment campaign.

Maybe the possibility of foreign, exotic, postings might influence recruiting AND RETENTION ?!

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

You don't suit the Gilet Jaune look! :flower:

Why the lack of faith? We've got a powerful economy and the best military in Europe. For the navy the only people more advanced than us are the yanks. We're also seeing closer ties with ANZAC now as they're building the same ships. Britain beats EU to £20BILLION deal to build warships for Australia

If we can get closer military ties and trade with other commonwealth countries we're on to a winner. How did we ever survive post 1945-1973? I know previously you said that if we joined with the Danes we'd be mighty, but the thing is it wouldn't just be the Danes (and we've got common culture with them). It would be the Romanians, Bulgarians and every other crackpot country which has f/a to do with the UK culturally, historically and politically.

At least now we're spreading into the Atlantic and south Asia we can work with the Anglosphere, incidentally, that's what Churchill wanted for post war Britain.

Latest Threads