The Emperor's Feast, A History of China in Twelve Meals

The Emperor's Feast, A History of China in Twelve Meals

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Review by Metellus Cimber II

The Emperor's Feast has attracted exceptionally good reviews in a range of publications. The reviews are justified: this is a fascinating book, which will appeal both to people who enjoy Chinese cuisine and to historians, serious and amateur. The title is slightly misleading; all aspects of Chinese cookery are covered, from peasant cuisine to the elaborate meals served to the nobility and the Emperor, and many regional variations. The author...

Click here to read the full review.....

Review by Metellus Cimber II

The Emperor's Feast has attracted exceptionally good reviews in a range of publications. The reviews are justified: this is a fascinating book, which will appeal both to people who enjoy Chinese cuisine and to historians, serious and amateur. The title is slightly misleading; all aspects of Chinese cookery are covered, from peasant cuisine to the elaborate meals served to the nobility and the Emperor, and many regional variations. The author...

Click here to read the full review.....

Like your Review.
I am a bit of a Foodie , love Chinese food , hate Commies ( relatively - new kids on the block )
I will enthusiasticaly buy this as long as Ji jin Ping and his cohort won't benefit from my dosh.

Reassurance please

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Like your Review.
I am a bit of a Foodie , love Chinese food , hate Commies ( relatively - new kids on the block )
I will enthusiasticaly buy this as long as Ji jin Ping and his cohort won't benefit from my dosh.

Reassurance please
That has to be aimed @metellus cimber II who wrote the review.

Azul_R

Old-Salt
The subject matter reminds me of an earlier book, "Swallowing Clouds" by A Zee (that name being more of a jest for people using the American pronunciation of Z).

Swallowing Clouds also explores aspects of Chinese history and culture via food, but it's a little different in that it tries to show how the Chinese characters for food items are built up. If you get all the way through the book you won't be able to read or write Chinese but you'll be able to decipher most of a restaurant menu.

Tony Zee has published some other books but "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" is somewhat more challenging reading.

metellus cimber II

Swinger
Book Reviewer
Like your Review.

Reassurance please
The main beneficiary will be the publisher, as is usual with books. The author will get a percentage in royalties. Ji Jin Ping will not feature. Metellus Cimber II

Latest Threads