The Emperor Mongs Pronouncements

A mate of mine runs a community college course in sound engineering for the "yoot". He has worked with some very big names over the years and his course is seen as a passport to success for anyone who gets on it,
I met him once after he had done a shed load of interviews with prospective students and he was horrified that none could speak proper English.
He said that he rejected anyone that said "INNIT" twice during the interview.
Knowone made the grade.
'Innit' seems to be less common these days but 'like' has compensated for that. Like, know what I mean, like?

Filler sounds. Same as "err", "erm" etc. The words change but the reason is the same.

In some cases yes but a lot of the time 'like' is doing hard work standing in for 'said' and 'did' as well as its original meaning and as filler.

So she was like, "No way", and I was like, really hot, because it was, like, totally sunny and then I was like "I like, literally like pineapple on pizza".

In some cases yes but a lot of the time 'like' is doing hard work standing in for 'said' and 'did' as well as its original meaning and as filler.

So she was like, "No way", and I was like, really hot, because it was, like, totally sunny and then I was like "I like, literally like pineapple on pizza".
Yes and no - in your example like is still mostly a filler - "was" is standing in for "said".

"So she (was|said) [like], "No way", and I was [like], really hot, because it was, [like] totally sunny and then I (was|said) [like] "I [like] literally like pineapple on pizza".

"So she was like, "No way", and I was like, really hot, because it was, like, totally sunny and then I was like "I like, literally like pineapple on pizza".
Imagine if somebody set that stupidity to music?
Oh, wait...

Yes and no - in your example like is still mostly a filler - "was" is standing in for "said".

"So she (was|said) [like], "No way", and I was [like], really hot, because it was, [like] totally sunny and then I (was|said) [like] "I [like] literally like pineapple on pizza".
I'm not sure 'was' by itself translates to 'said' although I've never really thought about it.

Imagine if somebody set that stupidity to music?
Oh, wait...
That was painful. It's bad enough typed but hearing it with the questioning intonation as well is like nails on a blackboard.

I'm not sure 'was' by itself translates to 'said' although I've never really thought about it.

That was painful. It's bad enough typed but hearing it with the questioning intonation as well is like nails on a blackboard.
I believe the Zappa point was an issue 50-60 years ago.

I believe the Zappa point was an issue 50-60 years ago.
In California, maybe (and it would have been 40ish years) but I've only noticed it in the local voices over the last 5 years or so.

Frank wrote about it 50 years ago on his experiences growing up in LA.
He started work in Joe's Garage.
I'll give you 70's though, 50 years ago.

Frank wrote about it 50 years ago on his experiences growing up in LA.
He started work in Joe's Garage.
I'll give you 70's though, 50 years ago.
The vocals were his daughter who is currently 52 years old according to google. She doesn't sound like a 2 year old on the song.

I've heard of Zappa before but never listened to his music, thanks for introducing me to it :)

The vocals were his daughter who is currently 52 years old according to google. She doesn't sound like a 2 year old on the song.

I've heard of Zappa before but never listened to his music, thanks for introducing me to it :)
I don't know how old you are but as a 60 something, I was certainly influenced by his work from the early 70's.
I'd recommend starting with the 'Joe's Garage' Album.

Londo

LE
'Innit' seems to be less common these days but 'like' has compensated for that. Like, know what I mean, like?
I don't know . Last time I was in my old manor about 2 years ago , popped into a local shop to say hello and there were two teenage Asian girls obviously old school chums bumped into each other and catching up and there was 2 or 3 'innits' per sentence .
I lost count at 50 or thereabouts :-D

No doubt there's loads on here that have to translate my gibberish and bad Engleesh :-D
Slight drift. Someone,Englander(?), queried us using a Jockanese word. Of course that started us off, a bit of Weegie, Doric etc was posted from different quarters. I'd imagine it's the same for my fellow Jocks as it is for me. We may type in English, but I think Weegie, others do the same in their tongue.