The Emperor Mongs Pronouncements

The one with the 'laccy band around it? I believe that may well be the handbrake!
Never seen a handbrake that high on the dashboard before. Is it one of those newer electric actuated ones?

NSP

LE
Never seen a handbrake that high on the dashboard before. Is it one of those newer electric actuated ones?
Even more discrete in Scania cabs...

As fitted in many Mercedes cab dashes:-

Volvo FH12 has a dash-mounted handbrake selector:-

But the new FH16 just has a push-button (the lever by the seat is the selector for an automatic gearbox with manual override - the iShift):-

As far as I can tell the dash-mounted airswitch has been the handbrake de jour in a lot of HGV cabs for some time.

I might have spent too much time on Euro Truck Simulator 2...

Last edited:

But the new FH16 just has a push-button (the lever by the seat is the selector for an automatic gearbox with manual override - the iShift):-

As far as I can tell the dash-mounted airswitch has been the handbrake de jour in a lot of HGV cabs for some time.

I've seen plenty of the push button ones like the Scania one. I've never seen an eletronic handbrake lever before.

NSP

LE
I've seen plenty of the push button ones like the Scania one. I've never seen an eletronic handbrake lever before.
Looks more like a valve actuator than an electrical/electronic switch.

Looks more like a valve actuator than an electrical/electronic switch.
On closer inspection, I realised I was wrong.

I didn't think these vans/small trucks/whatever it is were big enough to have a pneumatic system for braking?

Last edited:

NSP

LE
On closer inspection, I realised I was wrong.

I didn't think these vans/small trucks/whatever it is were big enough to have a pneumatic system for braking?
The shitheap is an artic' tractor, I think; not a small van!!

The shitheap is an artic' tractor, I think; not a small van!!
but the cab is being used to carry the contents of a small van!

Zhopa

War Hero
in Belarus the death sentence still stands
when the sentence was announced the people in court stood up and clapped
Part of one of my slides from when I used to give a country brief on Belarus:

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 10.41.33.png

- and yes, it was noticeable that grunts of approval would go round the room at this point.

They've gone soft though. Until a few years back, next of kin wouldn't be notified of the date the death sentence was carried out, or the place of burial; they would just know it had happened because they would get a bill for the bullet(s).

They've gone soft though. Until a few years back, next of kin wouldn't be notified of the date the death sentence was carried out, or the place of burial; they would just know it had happened because they would get a bill for the bullet(s).
According to the article that's still the system in place:
"At some point after the execution has taken place, she will receive a package containing her sons' belongings and an official letter. In it, she will be told that the death sentence has been carried out, and nothing more. "

Zhopa

War Hero
According to the article that's still the system in place
I stand corrected (and a little digging seems to confirm that the human rights activists quoted in the BBC piece are right) - I had thought they were now allowing burials as well as not making the family pay for the execution.

Many years ago a friend and I hired a Dodge 4-tonner to pick up loft insulation from a warehouse in E. London. It had a flick-on pneumatic handbrake. Stuck in a jam on the A13 coming home doing about 2mph, I didn't bother with the foot brake and just flicked the h/b on when the traffic stopped. The short, sharp squeak of the tyres locking up made the pedestrians of colour leave the pavement vertically.

Stand in front the statue that's being toppled guy in the green shirt, it'll be fine, you won't have your head smashed in:

Latest Threads