The Emperor Mongs Pronouncements

IBM has a thriving Legacy Support line, primarily because Japanese banks have decades-old mainframes that do what they're there for perfectly adequately thank you. They'd rather pay for legacy support than new mainframes and the cost of developing, testing, rolling out their software and firmware to keep them compatible with new hardware, firmware, middleware and breaking it in production as a result.
Have family friends, twins who went to Cambridge, father is a total brainiac. They started up a little business in Londonistan dealing especially with banks legacy software. They were into yea olde software at the core of banks systems and were making out like bandits. It's only a very few years ago since ATMs stopped using floppy diks.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Need a loaf its cheaper dahn the big smoke
although I suspect he had other purchases on his mind

Leicester roads policing unit
Just stopped a car doing 110mph on the M1 north. The purpose of the journey from Nottingham? To buy bread in London because it was £1 cheaper. He also had his 2 young children in the car! Reported to court. #thatcouldcostsomedough #StayAtHomeSaveLives

once again EM scores a massive hit

All 50 wedding guests, the pastor who conducted the ceremony, and the newlyweds themselves were promptly arrested and taken to a police station outside Richards Bay.

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
Oh dear, my computing started in 1979, at Hatfield Poly as was. DEC kit, PDP 11/70, GT40, and DEC 1091 and DEC 2020. Assembler, MACRO-10, TECO (the granddaddy of regular expressions) then Algol-68, Lisp (which I truly hated - a stupid, idiotic concept) B, FORTRAN, C, COBOL. And since then I have stuck with C, C++ and Perl.

Kirkz

LE
Oh dear, my computing started in 1979, at Hatfield Poly as was. DEC kit, PDP 11/70, GT40, and DEC 1091 and DEC 2020. Assembler, MACRO-10, TECO (the granddaddy of regular expressions) then Algol-68, Lisp (which I truly hated - a stupid, idiotic concept) B, FORTRAN, C, COBOL. And since then I have stuck with C, C++ and Perl.
Yeah, I have no idea what the fuck any of that means.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
In 1972, during A-levels, we got Wednesday afternoon "Minority Time". Think sports afternoon. One term, I went to Sunderland Poly on Wednesday afternoons, where we were shown this Heath Robinson device which they described as a computer. If they told me now it was an analogue computer, I'd believe them.

All we really got from it was that programs loaded from (Edit: paper) tape, and in the first inch or so you could put in a string of dots in lines across the maybe inch wide tape that read like four letters in a dot matrix that would identify the program to the human eye. All we did for a couple of hours a week was turn paper computer tape into four-letter words.

At the end of the term, I said to my mucker that these computer thingies were all well and good, but I didn't see them taking over our lives. Some decade and a half back, he came over from the USA for a fortieth anniversary (of our First Form) reunion. I reminded him. Oh how we larfed.

Last edited:
"But chloroquine is for cleaning fish tanks, surely it's dangerous?"

"You can rely on your emperor - I assure you president Donald Trump has proved himself to be infallible and a valuable source of medical knowledge."

Fake news, the man ingested fish tank cleaner with this drug in it and not the FDA approved prescription medicine which is a common and safe drug. Trump has never told anyone to do any such thing or that it was a cure.

aardvark64

Old-Salt

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some months ago his Worshipfulness wandered past my house.
EM: 'Awodoo Stan that's a cute little black cat you have there.'
SBS: 'Oh hello your Greatness. Yep the wife acquired it as we're not having any pets. She's a lovely thing though thick as mince, the cat I mean.....Oh I don't know.'
EM: 'Aye a right cute little black bugger.'
SBS: 'Little black bugger, huh I like that.'

Today after our government mandated exercise we walk back into the house and I turn round to see the dense little black cat wandering in the open door.
I greet her with my normal:
'Oh hello black bugger'.
Heading toward the door to close it and meet the DPD guy who is of a very dusky hue.
'Errr....The cat, I meant the cat!'

Mmwahhahah Was heard to echo around the neighbourhood.

Some months ago his Worshipfulness wandered past my house.
EM: 'Awodoo Stan that's a cute little black cat you have there.'
SBS: 'Oh hello your Greatness. Yep the wife acquired it as we're not having any pets. She's a lovely thing though thick as mince, the cat I mean.....Oh I don't know.'
EM: 'Aye a right cute little black bugger.'
SBS: 'Little black bugger, huh I like that.'

Today after our government mandated exercise we walk back into the house and I turn round to see the dense little black cat wandering in the open door.
I greet her with my normal:
'Oh hello black bugger'.
Heading toward the door to close it and meet the DPD guy who is of a very dusky hue.
'Errr....The cat, I meant the cat!'

Mmwahhahah Was heard to echo around the neighbourhood.

Yep!
Couple of weeks ago one evening parked next to a really deep metallic sapphire blue Vauxhall. When I got back to my car a guy was loading his shopping in the back and as I went to my car I quipped "nice colour mate"
'What?'
"Nice colour, the car..."
' oh yeah, right' says man

It was only a mile down the road I thought- that guy was 6ft 12" and fit and oh yeah....black! Gulp!

Fake news, the man ingested fish tank cleaner with this drug in it and not the FDA approved prescription medicine which is a common and safe drug. Trump has never told anyone to do any such thing or that it was a cure.
It didn't have the drug in it, but some of the letters were the same.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A Swindon mong, got a lift to Matson in Gloucester ( very edgy) to buy a NEW car, or rather a Chav wagon off facebook or Ebay
Mong decides to give it large with his new chavmobile
and loses it big time crashing into a Garden wall
the old bill turned up and gave the rubbish driver and his mate who drove him down a souvenir of Gloucester
a £60 pound fine each

Latest Threads