The Emperor Mongs Pronouncements

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The Emperor dispenses advice to yet another mong
South Yorkshire Police

COVID 19 update.

Herrings Park.

Well although the rider of this bike had a number 1 on it, he certainly came in 2nd. As well as the bike being seized for no insurance and being dealt with for traffic offences, he was also on our naughty list.

The rider was wanted recall to prison and so became acquainted with our adjustable hand bangles. Now he can practice some real social isolating. Please leave us a review on trip advisor of your stay with us.
Houndkirk Moor.

1586117270192.png

Speaking of things nautical

You are the Captain of one of the most powerful warships afloat, why not write a critical 4 page letter about the USNavy
He's tested postive to coronavirus himself. He did what he could to get his crew safely isolated due to the fears it would spread like a wildfire throughout the ship.

NYC are appealing for COBOL coders at the moment. Doubt I can remember much.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk
Why? Is it to do with the COVID issue?

There was an article in Wired (probably a decade ago now) that described a trade in vintage IBM punched card equipment that was principally driven by Country Clubs having a punched card system that the members liked to use and therefore had not been changed. Has this thrown up something similar in medical circles?

Why? Is it to do with the COVID issue?

There was an article in Wired (probably a decade ago now) that described a trade in vintage IBM punched card equipment that was principally driven by Country Clubs having a punched card system that the members liked to use and therefore had not been changed. Has this thrown up something similar in medical circles?
I think we'd all be surprised at the number of legacy systems still in use.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think we'd all be surprised at the number of legacy systems still in use.

IBM has a thriving Legacy Support line, primarily because Japanese banks have decades-old mainframes that do what they're there for perfectly adequately thank you. They'd rather pay for legacy support than new mainframes and the cost of developing, testing, rolling out their software and firmware to keep them compatible with new hardware, firmware, middleware and breaking it in production as a result.

Tool

LE
IBM has a thriving Legacy Support line, primarily because Japanese banks have decades-old mainframes that do what they're there for perfectly adequately thank you. They'd rather pay for legacy support than new mainframes and the cost of developing, testing, rolling out their software and firmware to keep them compatible with new hardware, firmware, middleware and breaking it in production as a result.
I'm preaching to the converted, AlienFTM, but it's deeper than that.

The BUSINESS knowledge (up to 50 years' worth) is imbedded in the applications, and getting people to unravel that is where the largest costs of rewrites are. Losing that business knowledge would be disasterous to many organisations.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm preaching to the converted, AlienFTM, but it's deeper than that.

The BUSINESS knowledge (up to 50 years' worth) is imbedded in the applications, and getting people to unravel that is where the largest costs of rewrites are. Losing that business knowledge would be disasterous to many organisations.
My team leader, a couple of years younger than me, retired in the autumn. His birthday yesterday, we chatted via Facebook. He hadn't realised how, in the five years last week since I had been forcibly retired, it had become a circus.

The many man-centuries they let go in the last ten years to keep turning a profit for the shareholders and buying companies rather than utilising their employees' skills and give them a while of a pay rise is frankly breathtaking.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My team leader, a couple of years younger than me, retired in the autumn. His birthday yesterday, we chatted via Facebook. He hadn't realised how, in the five years last week since I had been forcibly retired, it had become a circus.

The many man-centuries they let go in the last ten years to keep turning a profit for the shareholders and buying companies rather than utilising their employees' skills and give them a while of a pay rise is frankly breathtaking.
Not bitter at all then? ;)

I think this is prevalent throughout all industries and the result is being seen now in the Covid-19 crisis where so many businesses have been operating at the very edge of their business and are unable to resist crises such as this one.

Penguin142

War Hero

SWMBO officially retired five years ago, but went back on two fixed term contracts, ( illegally ) and finally bowed out end of February. She was paid at her last salary rate, not cost to company, which saved them a few Bob.
Just a few minutes ago, a call for help from one of her old team. Her department of the company ( short term insurance ) was sold just before she left, which had been the most profitable of all.
Another bunch of idiots on a Company Board.

Tool

LE
... five years... the last ten years to keep turning a profit for the shareholders...
Outsourcing to (amongst other places) the Indian subcontinent should be right up there with the best of the Emperor's long-term strategies.
I've been aware of fusterclucks since about 2007, not just the past few years, as a result of the need for shareholders' (short term) profits.
"Let's outsource the Mainframe work to India. We'll send our best people ther there for 3-4 months at a time to upskill transfer work to them cheaper." Crash. Try to get redundant employees back. "Tell you what, let's outsource the Mainframe work to Eastern Europe. We don't need to check their skill sets." Crash. Try to get redundant employees back. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The Emperor must be so pleased with his work on this.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not bitter at all then?
Not at all. Five years down the line, two pensions called in, State Retirement next year, I'm still living off their redundancy payment. Better off than had they retired me normally 18 months ago.