The Emperor Mongs Pronouncements

Fire extinguisher? Point horn upwards and pour in a generous quantity of fine white pepper and chilli flakes. Seal horn with paper cut to size and wax to hold paper.
Point at some one and depressed handle.
If you did it to someone like say your mate...who was in some sort of enclosed space like a site porta loo... the effects are quite spectacular... the victim may or may not be rendered in to a crying choking coughing mess...

13 years on the victim of this harmless prank still won't speak to me.
I know a paramedic that had to deal with the aftermath of a couple of ********* at their office that decided to fire a CO2 extinguisher into a shower cubicle while one of their colleagues was showering. It was a merry jape until the bloke passed out from oxygen deprivation and smashed his head on the floor, leading to a nasty head wound and blood everywhere.

The three that did the deed didn't last long in the company.

Last edited:
I know a paramedic that had to deal with the aftermath of a couple of ********* at their office that decided to fire a CO2 extinguisher into a shower cubicle while one of their colleagues was showering. It was a merry jape until the bloke passed out from oxygen deprivation and smashed his head on the floor, leading to a nasty head wound and blood everywhere.

The three that did the deed didn't last long in the company.

Fire extinguisher and enclosed space?

CC_TA

LE
Many moons ago on a bright sunny Saturday working away on a boatyard on the Thames, we had a notice from management to 'Check, dispose and replace any halon FEs in the fleet' as hey were 'very dangerous' we asked management "How come?" and were told "Just GET RID of them!"

We duly gathered up and replaced all the suspected dodgy units and took them in the workshop, over to the engineering geeks, we asked the same question we asked management were told; "Yeah, dodgy as fook them mate, you get really lightheaded from use in enclosed spaces, some of the old ones give you really bad trips too." He then separated the dodgy ones from the dodgy-trippy ones into a BFO box.

Later that afternoon, as it was quiet weekend, we hatched a plan that involved the following list:
Stella crate x 2
Hens Tooth crate x 1
Smirnoff x 2L
Boat x 1
Regal x 200
Duct tape reel x 2
Dodgy-Trippy Fire Extinguishers 1 x BFO box
Pot x Enough to put Snoop Dogg in rehab

Plan: Duct tape the vents and windows, let off some wobble gas, have a few beers and a smoke; basically bake on a boat.

What really happened: Not a fecking clue!

We were found by an off duty plod walking his dog the next morning, boat stuck in the longish grass bank about 1/4 mile down river from the yard, giggling like a couple of spazzers in full window-licking mode. He drove the boat back to the yard, moored us up and had a beer and an couple organics with us before disappearing back on his walk and never said a thing.

He got an extremely good price on winterisation and mooring of his own boat later that year.

Many moons ago on a bright sunny Saturday working away on a boatyard on the Thames, we had a notice from management to 'Check, dispose and replace any halon FEs in the fleet' as hey were 'very dangerous' we asked management "How come?" and were told "Just GET RID of them!"

We duly gathered up and replaced all the suspected dodgy units and took them in the workshop, over to the engineering geeks, we asked the same question we asked management were told; "Yeah, dodgy as fook them mate, you get really lightheaded from use in enclosed spaces, some of the old ones give you really bad trips too." He then separated the dodgy ones from the dodgy-trippy ones into a BFO box.

Later that afternoon, as it was quiet weekend, we hatched a plan that involved the following list:
Stella crate x 2
Hens Tooth crate x 1
Smirnoff x 2L
Boat x 1
Regal x 200
Duct tape reel x 2

Plan: Duct tape the vents and windows, let off some wobble gas, have a few beers and a smoke; basically bake on a boat.

We were found by an off duty plod walking his dog the next morning, boat stuck in the longish grass bank about 1/4 mile down river from the yard, giggling like a couple of spazzers in full window-licking mode. He drove the boat back to the yard, moored us up and had a beer and an couple organics with us before disappearing back on his walk and never said a thing.

He got an extremely good price on winterisation and mooring of his own boat later that year.
You fired off halon in an enclosed space? Feck, it's amazing your still here. Haven't you read The BOFH?

The reason they used halon for computer server rooms back in the day was computer servers and infrastructure were bloody expensive and meatware wasn't.

Last edited:

Stella crate x 2
Hens Tooth crate x 1
Smirnoff x 2L
Boat x 1
Regal x 200
Duct tape reel x 2

Used to have those small halon carriers in backpacks to be used to put out burning policemen. Invariably used in fights inside the carriers I can confirm they definitely make you very light headed and dizzy.

NSP

LE
Used to have those small halon carriers in backpacks to be used to put out burning policemen. Invariably used in fights inside the carriers I can confirm they definitely make you very light headed and dizzy.
So do most gases that displace or dilute the available oxygen!

CC_TA

LE
You fired off halon in an enclosed space? Feck, it's amazing your still here. Haven't you read The BOFH?

The reason they used halon for computer server rooms back in the day was computer servers and infrastructure were bloody expensive and meatware wasn't.
They were only the size of beer cans - 'pop and lob' and the boats leaked like a sieve luckily.

I'm surprised we didn't die from the boat engine's fumes, the CO from the knackered gas heaters and solvents we used in the workshop.

...add to that the Weil's disease from the Thames and the gonk that sprayed out of the toilet waste pump I was destined to be an armourer and pretty much repeat the stupidity all over again.

They were only the size of beer cans - 'pop and lob' and the boats leaked like a sieve luckily.
Thank goodness for that, I was thinking of these.
Halon-extinguishers.jpg

Yokel

LE
So do most gases that displace or dilute the available oxygen!

I think that Halons did not simply displace Oxygen but interrupted the process of combustion - @Ortholith might be able to explain. What does 'halogenated hydrocarbon' actually mean? Some of them are toxic, others produce toxic chemicals when exposed to heat.

Carbon Dioxide can act as an asphyxiant but it is not particularly toxic in itself and is not reactive.

I think that Halons did not simply displace Oxygen but interrupted the process of combustion - @Ortholith might be able to explain. What does 'halogenated hydrocarbon' actually mean? Some of them are toxic, others produce toxic chemicals when exposed to heat.

Carbon Dioxide can act as an asphyxiant but it is not particularly toxic in itself and is not reactive.

Chemistry isn't my thing, but I think the halogen fire extinguisher gases were similar to some anaesthetics. So they had similar loopy-head effects, but more toxic.

Yokel

LE
Chemistry isn't my thing, but I think the halogen fire extinguisher gases were similar to some anaesthetics. So they had similar loopy-head effects, but more toxic.

I seem to recall that they strip Oxygen molecules out of the air to stop them feeding a fire...

Once upon a time, the local RN/RM careers office gave me a booklet about Royal Navy Engineer Officers, and there were stories by three Marine Engineer Officers, two Weapon Engineer Officers, and two Air Engineer Officers. One of the MEOs described being in charge of trials of fire fighting agents for future warships that were not steam driven and could not use steam drench. Carbon Dioxide, BCF, and BTM were compared and BTM was the winner, but I think that might have been due to the installation being lighter and simpler.

colinmc400

War Hero
Not sure if this classes as an EM inspired cock up, but is a good story anyway.

Remember those BT Trimphones from the 80's and 90's, that had the luminous dial thingee? The glow in the dark was created using Tritium, a radioactive element. When BT decided to retire them all, they gathered faasands of them together and then some bright spark realised that the one drop of Tritium per phone, added up to a lot of Tritium when you have over 2 million of them in one place.

I went down to AEA Winfrith on a number of occasions when they were building the recovery plant there and the standing joke was that had BT just told everyone to bin the phone, they would never have had enough Tritium in one place to make it a danger. Instead they spent millions having to safely break the glass dial and recover the Tritium from each one. Oops!

chimera

LE
Not sure if this classes as an EM inspired cock up, but is a good story anyway.

Remember those BT Trimphones from the 80's and 90's, that had the luminous dial thingee? The glow in the dark was created using Tritium, a radioactive element. When BT decided to retire them all, they gathered faasands of them together and then some bright spark realised that the one drop of Tritium per phone, added up to a lot of Tritium when you have over 2 million of them in one place.

I went down to AEA Winfrith on a number of occasions when they were building the recovery plant there and the standing joke was that had BT just told everyone to bin the phone, they would never have had enough Tritium in one place to make it a danger. Instead they spent millions having to safely break the glass dial and recover the Tritium from each one. Oops!

Remember the Sappers putting these things all over the place back in the day? Same problem.
g_tank-marker.jpg

Last edited:

I'm surprised we didn't die from the boat engine's fumes, the CO from the knackered gas heaters and solvents we used in the workshop.

...add to that the Weil's disease from the Thames and the gonk that sprayed out of the toilet waste pump I was destined to be an armourer and pretty much repeat the stupidity all over again.

I can recommend many beers, then pulling the window blinds down in the boat, turning the wheel hard over and doing circles in the river above the weir at Henley, and seeing who chickens out first.

It’s big and clever.