The Emperor Mongs Pronouncements

Ye olde names for chemicals. Same with the original names for carbon dioxide (fixed air) and oxygen (dephlogisticated air) invented by Priestley and the old terms for calcium oxide and hydroxide (quicklime and slaked lime respectively). Sulfuric acid was oil of vitriol, I can't remember what nitric acid was now.
I don't know either but Hydrochloric acid was spirit of salts, and a mix of sulfuric acid and nitric acid used in assaying was aqua Regia.

robins1

Old-Salt
I don't know either but Hydrochloric acid was spirit of salts, and a mix of sulfuric acid and nitric acid used in assaying was aqua Regia.
Spirits of salts used be on sale at our local chemist along with lots of other chemicals we used to buy to experiment with. This was in the late fifties/early sixties, it was in a glass medicine type bottle and i think it was yellowish. I seem to recall it was sold as an emetic though i cant find any reference to that online, maybe just my dodgy memory.

Spirits of salts used be on sale at our local chemist along with lots of other chemicals we used to buy to experiment with. This was in the late fifties/early sixties, it was in a glass medicine type bottle and i think it was yellowish. I seem to recall it was sold as an emetic though i cant find any reference to that online, maybe just my dodgy memory.
Limescale remover as 25% BV with water.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
well this isn't funny,

it's hilarious (well to me at least)
And there is the Government's get-out:

The government has faced a backlash after giving evidence on Thursday to the NHS pay-review body, which looks at nearly 1.5 million people, including nurses and health assistants - but not doctors, dentists and some senior staff, who have their own pay bodies or agreements.
It suggested a 1% pay rise for 2021-22, citing the "uncertain" financial situation. However inflation forecasts for this year indicate the proposed figure could be a real-terms cut.
The pay-review body will take evidence from other groups, including unions and NHS bodies, before making its recommendation around May.

The Government has expressed what it can afford, but in two months' time it can very generously offer more.

At a very important, high level meeting:

CEO - "Right everyone, it's International Womens Day. What can we come up with?"

EM - (PBUH) "Did someone call?"

NSP

LE
EM: "Hark, minion! What vexes thee?"

Overly-entitled idiot: "The management company for this block of flats I'm renting in has written to say that permission to keep a pet has been revoked."

EM: "Oh? And why is that?"

OEI: "Well, they said it had to do its business in the park and I let it pee all over a part of the gardens and it killed the grass. They said that there must be no muddy paw-prints in the hall and by the time the cleaners come back two weeks after the last visit there's paw-prints all over the place. They said there must be no mud spatters up the hallway walls and the dog has shaken and put mud spatters up the walls, even though I assured them that I towel her off before bringing her in each time. Oh, and I stash my dog-ends in a pot under the hedge by the front door. THe groundsmens leaf-blower scatters them all over the yard every fortnight. However, although I'm the only smoker in the building, let alone the smoker of roll-ups, and no-one is having visitors who may or may not smoke, I think I might have persuaded them that that is nothing to do with me (er, she hasn't)."

EM: "That's outrageous! Go upstairs and hammer on the director's flat door. When he opens it get up in his face and have a good rant. Give him a piece of your mind."

OEI: "Good idea! I shall make it so!!"

OEI: "Rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant."

Director of RMC (me, leaning in a relaxed manner on door frame, arms folded, patient look on face): "In order not to prejudice any application the management company may make to the courts legal counsel has advised me that I not discuss this. All enquiries should be directed in accordance with the instructions you have been given in writing."

OEI: "Rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant."

Director of RMC (me, leaning in a relaxed manner on door frame, arms folded, patient look on face): "In order not to prejudice any application the management company may make to the courts legal counsel has advised me that I not discuss this. All enquiries should be directed in accordance with the instructions you have been given in writing."

Director of RMC (me, having jerked upright and stiffened): "**** off, you stupid ****." Quietly but firmly closes door in her face.

OEI (through one hour-rated fire door): "Rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant."

Director of RMC: Gives it a thorough ignoring, goes back to Netflix, increases volume slightly.

EM: "That might not have gone quite to plan."

EM: "Hark, minion! What vexes thee?"

Overly-entitled idiot: "The management company for this block of flats I'm renting in has written to say that permission to keep a pet has been revoked."

EM: "Oh? And why is that?"

OEI: "Well, they said it had to do its business in the park and I let it pee all over a part of the gardens and it killed the grass. They said that there must be no muddy paw-prints in the hall and by the time the cleaners come back two weeks after the last visit there's paw-prints all over the place. They said there must be no mud spatters up the hallway walls and the dog has shaken and put mud spatters up the walls, even though I assured them that I towel her off before bringing her in each time. Oh, and I stash my dog-ends in a pot under the hedge by the front door. THe groundsmens leaf-blower scatters them all over the yard every fortnight. However, although I'm the only smoker in the building, let alone the smoker of roll-ups, and no-one is having visitors who may or may not smoke, I think I might have persuaded them that that is nothing to do with me (er, she hasn't)."

EM: "That's outrageous! Go upstairs and hammer on the director's flat door. When he opens it get up in his face and have a good rant. Give him a piece of your mind."

OEI: "Good idea! I shall make it so!!"

Director of RMC (me, having jerked upright and stiffened): "**** off, you stupid ****." Quietly but firmly closes door in her face.

OEI (through one hour-rated fire door): "Rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant."

Director of RMC: Gives it a thorough ignoring, goes back to Netflix, increases volume slightly.

EM: "That might not have gone quite to plan."
Video cameras for the win. Makes eviction notice easier if threatening/abusive behaviour can be proven.

NSP

LE
Video cameras for the win. Makes eviction notice easier if threatening/abusive behaviour can be proven.
I can't evict her: I'm not her landlord.

Also, a landlord cannot evict a tenant in the first four months of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy unless the tenant can be proved to be engaging in what the law defines as anti-social behaviour. Also, under the COVID laws, a landlord cannot give a notice period of less than six months.

Also, a landlord cannot evict a tenant in the first four months of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy unless the tenant can be proved to be engaging in what the law defines as anti-social behaviour. Also, under the COVID laws, a landlord cannot give a notice period of less than six months.
Indeed, but video footage can be provided to the landlord or their agent to assist with eviction.

Not sure on ASB definition, but the rant above might qualify. As ever not a lawyer, just the bounce when my better half was practicing advocacy....

Indeed, but video footage can be provided to the landlord or their agent to assist with eviction.

Not sure on ASB definition, but the rant above might qualify. As ever not a lawyer, just the bounce when my better half was practicing advocacy....
Breach of the peace. I’m unsure of the classification of where NSP lives, if outside his door classes as a communal area etc but, possibility for public order s4a. If she does it again, then harassment.

Based on my quite limited understanding.

There have been cases here of owners being banned from living in their flats by the courts as they were causing problems. So not evicted but still fucked off at the high port.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
There have been cases here of owners being banned from living in their flats by the courts as they were causing problems. So not evicted but still fucked off at the high port.
Sort of fucked off at the high port by the high court

NSP

LE
She doesn't own it. She rents it. Not for much longer, though. She won't re-home the mutt so she'll go when it does. She'd best get weaving as the time limit she was given to remove the dog from the premises expires a week tomorrow.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
EM is spending a lot of time with the police in Hampshire. It's the only way I can explain how he keeps getting our local coppers to do stupid shit

Latest Threads