Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Emperor Mongs Pronouncements

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
At those ages thats a bit fair enough, far too much teenage interesting stuff to occupy their minds, although at 15 some idea of possible career is obvs important. Its the moronic early 20's doom brains that annoy me. No clue about anything that actually has an impact on their daily lives unless it smacks them in the face. I've always struggled with ppl who don't connect with the real world by not bothering with having even a very basic appreciation of current affairs. Another eg, these idiots had no idea about Brext, the EU around the time of the referendum. How can you not have any idea about what the EU/EEC/EC was or is & how it affects your life.
Reminds me of the delicious "Holly" interviewed on the street following the Brexit result. Hadn't a clue about anything but was very funny.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
I struggle with this with my step grandsons, aged 15 and 13.

No idea of current affairs, history, science. Know lots about football, particularly Bundesliga, but wouldn't consider learning German. Had no idea what a Caesarean is ( our dog just had one) or why it was named.

The middle one, older of the twins, is a brilliant engineer, yet his aspiration is limited to 'probably work at Westlands', the eldest wants to join the police, but has no idea what qualifications he will need, hasn't researched it and now his GCSEs are cancelled his aspiration is 'Yeovil College'. The youngest wants to be a chef.

None of them knows about countries overseas except 'Africa' and 'America'.

It's frightening.
I feel for you, I must be lucky, my grandsons seem to be interested in all sorts, eldest is a police cadet, 14 year old is an expert on dinosaurs, 13 year old is into hockey (Ice and Roller), 12 year old is interested in everything especially history and comes with me when I volunteer at Blind Vets to listen to the stories from the oldies.

NSP

LE
The middle one, older of the twins, is a brilliant engineer, yet his aspiration is limited to 'probably work at Westlands',
He really doesn't pay any attention to the world around him, does he?

It hasn't been Westland, or even AgustaWestland, for some time now!

Hmm. My two daughters, in their 30s, both pay no attention to news or current affairs on TV, radio or internet. They are both very intelligent (the youngest has the proverbial ‘brain the size of a planet’) but show no interest in anything that doesn’t directly affect them.

As crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if for some ppl (not necessarily these mongs) that that is the case. One of my previous employers, some of the younger mainly female staff, had no idea on current affairs stuff to the point that they had no idea we had troops in AFG, that Obama was black. Comment on anything in the news that week/day & not a clue. They indeed never watched or heard a news broadcast, never checked into a news website.
It's bullshit to try and avoid the fines. In order to not know they'd have to:

Not gone to a shop for a year.
Not gone to work for a year.
Not gone to school for a year.
Not turned on the TV or radio for a year.
Not read a paper or visited any online news.
Not used public transport.
Not used any major online shopping sites.

Plus probably a whole load of other things.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It's bullshit to try and avoid the fines. In order to not know they'd have to:

Not gone to a shop for a year.
Not gone to work for a year.
Not gone to school for a year.
Not turned on the TV or radio for a year.
Not read a paper or visited any online news.
Not used public transport.
Not used any major online shopping sites.

Plus probably a whole load of other things.
Or just mentally switch off when something that does not interest them is on/happening.

I struggle with this with my step grandsons, aged 15 and 13.

No idea of current affairs, history, science. Know lots about football, particularly Bundesliga, but wouldn't consider learning German. Had no idea what a Caesarean is ( our dog just had one) or why it was named.

The middle one, older of the twins, is a brilliant engineer, yet his aspiration is limited to 'probably work at Westlands', the eldest wants to join the police, but has no idea what qualifications he will need, hasn't researched it and now his GCSEs are cancelled his aspiration is 'Yeovil College'. The youngest wants to be a chef.

None of them knows about countries overseas except 'Africa' and 'America'.

It's frightening.

No point in actually knowing anything. It's all on their phones.

Until things go sideways one afternoon and it isn't.

...Another eg, these idiots had no idea about Brext, the EU around the time of the referendum. How can you not have any idea about what the EU/EEC/EC was or is & how it affects your life.

Bet they voted against leaving though. Probably because someone on twatter told them to do that.

At those ages thats a bit fair enough, far too much teenage interesting stuff to occupy their minds, although at 15 some idea of possible career is obvs important. Its the moronic early 20's doom brains that annoy me. No clue about anything that actually has an impact on their daily lives unless it smacks them in the face. I've always struggled with ppl who don't connect with the real world by not bothering with having even a very basic appreciation of current affairs. Another eg, these idiots had no idea about Brext, the EU around the time of the referendum. How can you not have any idea about what the EU/EEC/EC was or is & how it affects your life.
"Another eg, these idiots had no idea about Brext, the EU around the time of the referendum. How can you not have any idea about what the EU/EEC/EC was or is & how it affects your life."

Invariably, people like that voted to remain.

:cool:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
He really doesn't pay any attention to the world around him, does he?

It hasn't been Westland, or even AgustaWestland, for some time now!
His father works for them. It's still known as Westlands throughout Yeovil and the workforce.

His father works for them. It's still known as Westlands throughout Yeovil and the workforce.

Do they chat up the birds singing like the Wurzels going "I've got a brand new helicopter and I'll give you the key"?

Latest Threads