Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Emperor Mongs Pronouncements

when having sex with an octopus ( we all have friends like that !!)
its always better to avoid recording the incident
"He is due to return from Crete to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on 15th January 2021."

£5 says Westminster is the last place he'll be on the 15th.

Most definitely NOT being selfish.

A continuous line as part of a double white line system means no overtaking except to pass a stationary vehicle, or a road maintenance, cyclist or horse travelling at less than 10mph. There are other times when you can pass over or straddle the line but they're not applicable to overtaking just to get past a vehicle travelling a bit slower than you.

If there is more than one lane in the direction you are travelling to the left of the continuous line then you may overtake.

Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016, Schedule 9, Part 7, Paragraph 9 refers.

I refer you to Rule 129 of the Highway Code. Double white lines, you must not cross or straddle them unless safe to do so. (Sorry, not good at cut and paste.)

As I said, there was plenty of room for him to move over and I could have passed, without crossing/straddling any line. I waited.

I refer you to Rule 129 of the Highway Code. Double white lines, you must not cross or straddle them unless safe to do so. (Sorry, not good at cut and paste.)

As I said, there was plenty of room for him to move over and I could have passed, without crossing/straddling any line. I waited.
The Highway Code is not legislation. TSRGD is.

Given the standard width of a traffic lane in the UK, unless the other vehicle was very narrow, like another bike, it would be impossible to do so without either the other vehicle mounting the kerb or verge or running on the adjacent hardstrip (if present), which is also frowned upon.

"He is due to return from Crete to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on 15th January 2021."

£5 says Westminster is the last place he'll be on the 15th.
Could look in the aquarium?

Someone bet £5, they'll be squids in.

Given the standard width of a traffic lane in the UK, unless the other vehicle was very narrow, like another bike, it would be impossible to do so without either the other vehicle mounting the kerb or verge or running on the adjacent hardstrip (if present), which is also frowned upon.

Complete and utter bollocks.

BTW, what is the standard width of a traffic lane in the UK?

Complete and utter bollocks.

BTW, what is the standard width of a traffic lane in the UK?
3.65m

I agree that TSRGD is extremely difficult to read to the point of being bollocks, but it is legislation.

jmb3296

War Hero
Old, white, long wheel Base semi hi top, transits have priority over all these vehicles (mine did) only trumped by the rusty skip lorry. It's quite liberating to just let it happen (low speed paint swaps) if someone cuts you up in town. Obviously you must have row & pick your battles.
"you could have stopped"!!
"could have!" didn't. 3 was my final score when the water soluble ford died. Rust and dents added to its road presence.

a long time ago as a young cop I attended an RTC
one very expensive car with a collapsed front wing, an indignant owner driver, an attractive but incandescent wife, and two teenage ( late teens ) daughters both fairly stroppy. ( no photos)
one artic with minor scuff damage to front offside and a driver who was completely chilled.
car driver and assembled harridans “ he rammed me”
lorry driver.
“ I am in my own lane , he tried to pull in front across me, I had right of way, i don’t have to give way, I didn’t and it’s not my lorry so why should I give a hoot “
good point well made.
Mr car driver why did you try and force your way into his lane? an expensive lesson for you, if it’s not his truck don’t try and play a game of chicken with him.

You're really making me work here. I'm a mong looking at that lay out, but I think I got there. ;)
I'm aware The Highway Code is, in a lot of cases, advisory. The car edging me, so I couldn't pass it was normal size.
If I found the right bit you referred to, read the end of the next para 10, "...no vehicle.. should cross or straddle the line unless it is safe to do so."
I couldn't find anything stopping you from overtaking a slower vehicle whilst keeping to your own side of the road, yet your quote says I can cross the line if it's safe to do so.
I might have missed it, happy to be corrected.

3.65m

I agree that TSRGD is extremely difficult to read to the point of being bollocks, but it is legislation.

No, your claim is still complete and utter bollocks.

On your "standard" lane, a Suzuki GSXR1000 could pass a Range Rover Sport - without crossing any centre lines - with a clearance of two and a half feet - almost the width of another Suzuki GSXR1000.

You're really making me work here. I'm a mong looking at that lay out, but I think I got there. ;)
I'm aware The Highway Code is, in a lot of cases, advisory. The car edging me, so I couldn't pass it was normal size.
If I found the right bit you referred to, read the end of the next para 10, "...no vehicle.. should cross or straddle the line unless it is safe to do so."
I couldn't find anything stopping you from overtaking a slower vehicle whilst keeping to your own side of the road, yet your quote says I can cross the line if it's safe to do so.
I might have missed it, happy to be corrected.
You're correct. But how can you be absolutely certain it's safe? There may or may not be anything approaching that you can see but how do you know that the vehicle you are about to pass isn't about to turn right into a junction, access or even field? Or that something is about to pull out in front of the other vehicle? How do you know the driver is aware you are there?

The driver may inadvertently let their vehicle wander over to the left due to being distracted for some reason. You might think they are moving to the left to let you pass, only to then find the other driver swerving to their right as they realise they're wandering. Hopefully there's nothing coming the other way in the centre lane if this happens, but if there is, where do you go?

DWL systems are placed at locations where it is dangerous to overtake due to the horizontal or vertical alignment. The other location is on a hill, where the uphill traffic is given an extra lane for overtaking.

Knowing why DWLs are placed, I'd personally never take the risk to disobey a continuous line simply to overtake, because if I did and it went belly up, I'd be the one most likely to be found at fault. If I survived. If I was on a bike, I'd be doubly averse to going for it, given the fact that I'd likely come off a very poor second.

There's nothing to stop you physically doing it if you want to but as there's likely to be a place where you can lawfully overtake not all that far ahead, is it worth the risk?

You're correct. But how can you be absolutely certain it's safe? There may or may not be anything approaching that you can see but how do you know that the vehicle you are about to pass isn't about to turn right into a junction, access or even field? Or that something is about to pull out in front of the other vehicle? How do you know the driver is aware you are there?

The driver may inadvertently let their vehicle wander over to the left due to being distracted for some reason. You might think they are moving to the left to let you pass, only to then find the other driver swerving to their right as they realise they're wandering. Hopefully there's nothing coming the other way in the centre lane if this happens, but if there is, where do you go?

DWL systems are placed at locations where it is dangerous to overtake due to the horizontal or vertical alignment. The other location is on a hill, where the uphill traffic is given an extra lane for overtaking.

Knowing why DWLs are placed, I'd personally never take the risk to disobey a continuous line simply to overtake, because if I did and it went belly up, I'd be the one most likely to be found at fault. If I survived. If I was on a bike, I'd be doubly averse to going for it, given the fact that I'd likely come off a very poor second.

There's nothing to stop you physically doing it if you want to but as there's likely to be a place where you can lawfully overtake not all that far ahead, is it worth the risk?

Splendid. I suppose you can add "ridden a motorcycle" to the list of things you've never done but feel qualified to patronise other site members over.

I'm surprised you can crawl out of your front door without puking at the thought of what could happen to you.

Splendid. I suppose you can add "ridden a motorcycle" to the list of things you've never done but feel qualified to patronise other site members over.

I'm surprised you can crawl out of your front door without puking at the thought of what could happen to you.
Now, now. Just putting it from a traffic engineer's viewpoint. We're the ones who have to justify this stuff and make sure it complies with TSRGD, riveting read that it is. Bases and arses have to be covered.

DWLs are only ever put in with the agreement of the local police, they are the ones who do the enforcement, despite some highway authorities wanting to install CCTV to catch people being naughty. Can't see that happening TBH.

What Joe Public then does with our work is out of our hands - I'm more than a little delighted to say.

I don't ride a motorcycle myself, been pillion a few times though.
What I do know is that bikes are Smaller, accelerate faster, stop a lot more quickly.

BUT.
You can't legislate for stupid, on 2 or 4 wheels.

Now, now. Just putting it from a traffic engineer's viewpoint. We're the ones who have to justify this stuff and make sure it complies with TSRGD, riveting read that it is. Bases and arses have to be covered.

DWLs are only ever put in with the agreement of the local police, they are the ones who do the enforcement, despite some highway authorities wanting to install CCTV to catch people being naughty. Can't see that happening TBH.

What Joe Public then does with our work is out of our hands - I'm more than a little delighted to say.

Glad we finally got you to admit you were posting complete and utter bollocks.

What I do know is that bikes are Smaller, accelerate faster, stop a lot more quickly.

BUT.
My point exactly.

I said upthread the width of a standard lane is 3.65m. That's in theory. In theory the width of a lane on a single carriageway 3 lane road with a climbing lane is less at 3.5m, with 1m hardstrips. The WS2 cross section on paper page 20 in this PDF.

I know one road where, to discourage unlawful overtaking the DWL system was widened to about 600mm as I recall. The only way to do this was to eat into the 1m hardstrips, reducing them to 700mm each. We then got a complaint from a cyclist that we'd narrowed the "cycle lanes". Which is what the hardstrip most certainly isn't. You can't account for stupid and particularly anyone who would want to cycle on that particular route with it's historical accident record.

In practise on many roads with DWL, the pavement predates the standard above, so the lane widths are whatever will fit onto the available blacktop and often not 3.5m. Hardstrips on these roads are very rare indeed. Throw in the fact that many are less than ideally maintained local authority roads, with crumbling haunches that "encourage" drivers to drive closer to the centre of the road and/or swerve to avoid a dodgy edge they spot ahead of them and live can become interesting for the unwary.

BUT.

Or one, come to that. I found myself having to slow to about 4 m.p.h. a couple of days ago on a twisting, but quite busy, rural road near Calbourne on the Isle of Wight. A monocycle, indeed, complete with an arms-folded wobbling prat who seemed oblivious to the traffic. He eventually fell off onto a grassy verge - quite possibly deliberately - and waved happily at me and the following half dozen cars.......

I think what he was doing was probably completely legal but definitely verging on the foolhardy.

Latest Threads