Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Emperor Mongs Pronouncements

I know it's for the greater good and all law breakers should be punished to the letter of the law but Op snap makes me feel uneasy. Will the accuser be named or will this be anonymous?

It also suggests there aren't enough coppers about and this is policing on the cheap.
Agreed.

Plus, your driving in the footage you provide (which needs to be for the whole of your journey) has to be whiter than white or you'll find yourself the subject of police inquiries.

Agreed.

Plus, your driving in the footage you provide (which needs to be for the whole of your journey) has to be whiter than white or you'll find yourself the subject of police inquiries.
Yep, and guaranteed you'll have
a: Mong filming on his mobile, thus being not in control, and also more concerned about his movie than the other road users
b: Some angry-brigade types who'll make a song and dance about somebody making a minor infringement, like stopping an inch over a line at a traffic light.

Chef

LE
Agreed.

Aside from that wouldn't they need to be calibrated, certificated and so on and so forth? I'm sure 'Mr loophole' the solicitor would have a field day with it.

Asking for dash cam footage after an incident is one thing but I have a visceral dislike of officialdom encouraging neighbour to spy on neighbour.

There was a good scheme in NZ when I was there. Truckies could submit a dashcam video to show unsafe overtaking, a major problem on most of NZ's two lane roads. Just the overtaking segment was required.

Aside from that wouldn't they need to be calibrated, certificated and so on and so forth? I'm sure 'Mr loophole' the solicitor would have a field day with it.

Asking for dash cam footage after an incident is one thing but I have a visceral dislike of officialdom encouraging neighbour to spy on neighbour.
I guess they can't be used in cases involving speed, but there are many, many more infringements that are more dodgy, and easier to prove in dashcam footage, than speeding.

I once submitted footage of an organ donor motorcyclist who overtook traffic oncoming to me which any cam footage would clearly show that it was dangerous (ignoring the double whites he crossed to do it). It was clear that had I not braked to a full stop I would have hit him. My footage was discarded because I hadn't indicated at the roundabout 3 minutes before the incident (you can hear the indicator on the footage when I do indicate). Apparently that would be sufficient for the offender's defence to nullify the evidence.

Chef

LE
I guess they can't be used in cases involving speed, but there are many, many more infringements that are more dodgy, and easier to prove in dashcam footage, than speeding.

I once submitted footage of an organ donor motorcyclist who overtook traffic oncoming to me which any cam footage would clearly show that it was dangerous (ignoring the double whites he crossed to do it). It was clear that had I not braked to a full stop I would have hit him. My footage was discarded because I hadn't indicated at the roundabout 3 minutes before the incident (you can hear the indicator on the footage when I do indicate). Apparently that would be sufficient for the offender's defence to nullify the evidence.
From your experience it sounds like this scheme is a PR stunt rather than a practical idea. Though it does get people used to acting as unpaid police informants.

No slur to yourself intended.

Just so you know, Audis and BMWs are legally exempted from indicating, unless they feel like it, Volvos can do whatever they please and bikers are a law unto themselves.:)

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
From your experience it sounds like this scheme is a PR stunt rather than a practical idea. Though it does get people used to acting as unpaid police informants.

No slur to yourself intended.

Just so you know, Audis and BMWs are legally exempted from indicating, unless they feel like it, Volvos can do whatever they please and bikers are a law unto themselves.:)
we have a local biker R6
60 in a 30 limit
140 in a 60 limit ( been timed )
race exhaust to let us all hear that he is coming past
only trouble is the mong has altered his reg plate to make it hard to read
but at 6Am its not exactly difficult to find out where he lives
waiting for babylon to sort him out
I am a motorcyclist, a different breed
I also know where he works
if he dont calm down the old girl 2 doors down is going to chuck a bucket of something or the other on him as he passes
knowing her it will be the other !

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
we have a local biker R6
60 in a 30 limit
if he dont calm down the old girl 2 doors down is going to chuck a bucket of something or the other on him as he passes
It was very cold last night, and probably will be again tonight. A bucket of water on the road at say 10pm ought to be a sheet of ice by morning. Just saying.

TamH70

MIA
Agreed.

This idea has shades of the NWA. Not the American rap group, but the Neighbourhood Watch Alliance from "Hot Fuzz".

And we all know what happened to them.

Chef

LE
This idea has shades of the NWA. Not the American rap group, but the Neighbourhood Watch Alliance from "Hot Fuzz".

And we all know what happened to them.
Hence my original post:

'I know it's for the greater good and all law breakers should be punished to the letter of the law but Op snap makes me feel uneasy. Will the accuser be named or will this be anonymous?

It also suggests there aren't enough coppers about and this is policing on the cheap.'

I know it's for the greater good and all law breakers should be punished to the letter of the law but Op snap makes me feel uneasy. Will the accuser be named or will this be anonymous?

It also suggests there aren't enough coppers about and this is policing on the cheap.
You submit evidence on the understanding that you are willing to attend court if required. I think the scheme allows ordinary road users to play a part in road safety. True there are fewer road police units and to be honest I do not have time to spend on minor traffic infringements though I do pull more cars than some of my colleagues.

Most dashcams are linked to satnav which shows your exact position and your speed.

Friday and Saturday nights in the Cowgate in Edinburgh in the 2000s the phrase of choice from the Home Counties, public school educated student was “I pay your wages”

Usually ended in a high pitched shreik before the end of the sentence was completed.

My personal favourite response was "and if I give you your 20p back, will you shut up and go away?"

Got told off.

The vast majority of coppers are honest. You can put a 50p piece on a desk at work and it will still be there in a week (by contrast a biro will vanish in an instant) and the honesty system round the brew fund and tuck shop work well (unless you have CID in the building. They are right dodgy geezers).

On the subject of dashcam footage, many more areas are now rolling out Op Snap, partnership with local forces where dashcam footage of illegal road manoeuvres can be submitted.

EM may have suggested to the woman in front of me the other day didn’t need to follow the no right turn signs or road markings, but a fixed penalty notice might assist her decision making in the future!

Sounds like my head chef. He has an ability to disappear pens faster than the teleporter in star trek.

we have a local biker R6
60 in a 30 limit
Twat like that goes past us at Mach 3 on a black GSXR 600, race exhaust etc etc.... Big G wants too catch him on his Busa and rip his head off. The GSXR bod rides like a complete Knut.

I think he offends G's sensible riding style, very fast, but safe.

Well done the Emperor (PBUH).

'József Szájer resigned as an MEP on Sunday after he admitted breaching Belgium's strict lockdown rules to attend a sex party, Politico reported. Police found 25 naked men at the gathering, including Szájer and a number of diplomats, according to Belgian newspaper La Dernière Heure. A source in the local police told the newspaper: "We interrupted a gang bang."

'Orban's Hungarian government has curtailed LGBTQI rights since he was elected prime minister in 2010.

'The right-wing politician and ally of Orban was spotted by a local man "fleeing along the gutter," the public prosecutor's office said in a statement sent to Politico. A source close to the police investigation said officers were prompted to attend to the scene after "a legal complaint for night-time disturbance."

'Police found narcotics in Szájer's bag. However, he insisted that he had not taken drugs.'

Friday and Saturday nights in the Cowgate in Edinburgh in the 2000s the phrase of choice from the Home Counties, public school educated student was “I pay your wages”

Usually ended in a high pitched shreik before the end of the sentence was completed.
A grot-bag once tried this on me when I was a Special. My oppo replied "No you don't. The stupid sod does this for free!"

Well done the Emperor (PBUH).

'József Szájer resigned as an MEP on Sunday after he admitted breaching Belgium's strict lockdown rules to attend a sex party, Politico reported. Police found 25 naked men at the gathering, including Szájer and a number of diplomats, according to Belgian newspaper La Dernière Heure. A source in the local police told the newspaper: "We interrupted a gang bang."

'Orban's Hungarian government has curtailed LGBTQI rights since he was elected prime minister in 2010.

'The right-wing politician and ally of Orban was spotted by a local man "fleeing along the gutter," the public prosecutor's office said in a statement sent to Politico. A source close to the police investigation said officers were prompted to attend to the scene after "a legal complaint for night-time disturbance."

'Police found narcotics in Szájer's bag. However, he insisted that he had not taken drugs.'

Belgium? he had done a lot more than that...they only reported that.