the embedding of reporters

Alsacien

MIA
My unit was lumbered with Kate Addie for a few days during the mop up of GW1 - the universal consensus at the time was the thought of embedding a shovel in the back of her head.

We probably would have been more sympathetic to her prima donna, self-righteous, "I am superior" attitude if she had looked half decent (first female sighting in nearly 3 months for most), but skin resembled a hessian sandbag and she smelt funny...

GeorgeMaciver said:
Yes, and a good thought and a good point. Just wish the information they gleaned was filtered through our commanders first before being sent to Newspaper editors. I mean, our personal letters home are still vetted aren't they? But battlefield information from which tactics and strategy can be formulated is sent often during battle to Newspapers editors who detest the military and who are constantly looking for ways to weaken us. Call me paranoid if you like but I just find that rather scary.
For someone who's written a military themed piece of fiction I would have thought you would be better informed.

Especially considering your apparent TA service, the two posts on this thread are just a bit tad wide of the mark.

Have you any evidence of the hundreds of cases (besides conspiracy theory sites that is)?

On balance I think embedding journos is the way forward. They are then less likely to get in the way like the ITN bunch the septics opened fire on. They are also more controllable as there must be some agreement between their editors and the MOD over both what they can do and under whose controll they are what and when they can report, and lets face even the Scum didn't breathe a word about Harry. Also as some one said above their reports are usually more attractive to Joe Public too, and that is on balance better for the forces. Despite our personal opinions on some of them and I have my sympathy for the chap who was embedded with Mz Adie, the more of them we can keep from acting independantly in the battle area the better.

I would also suggest if as has been claimed sensitive information has got out from such reporters it is the fault of the MOD for not ensuring they fully understood what could and could not be reported 'live'.

There may also be grounds for embedding our PR people with their editors, that could equally be a win win for both.

Whatever I think we are stuck with the concept, in this modern world of instant news and comminication so we ought to make it work for us as well as letting it work for them.

Geez, any idea how many hours it would take me to piece together, write and publish an article on this? Not going to do it. I think there are more than enough examples from Vietnam alone where patrols parachuted or walked into ambushes because the Commies knew they were coming. Are we really so naive that we don't believe we have any traitors among us feeding whatever information they can to our enemies?

Okay, we have no traitors, journalists and news editors are wonderful people who love us and do all they can to strengthen our cultures and policitians are a swell bunch of guys and gals who really do care about us and really do have our best interests at heart.

There you go, I'm converted.

Whatever Trevor!

Unfortunately for you I think Darling included a tax on tinfoil... wouldn't want people reading your thoughts now would we?

Because we all know they do that! Just like they read all our mail! Wooooh!

GeorgeMaciver said:
Geez, any idea how many hours it would take me to piece together, write and publish an article on this? Not going to do it. I think there are more than enough examples from Vietnam alone where patrols parachuted or walked into ambushes because the Commies knew they were coming. Are we really so naive that we don't believe we have any traitors among us feeding whatever information they can to our enemies?

Okay, we have no traitors, journalists and news editors are wonderful people who love us and do all they can to strengthen our cultures and policitians are a swell bunch of guys and gals who really do care about us and really do have our best interests at heart.

Not sure whch point of view I would come down on in this subject but I do know that if the public had relied on the information given at Five O'Clock Follies in Saigon then they might have thought that we were winning.

Sam,

No one has yet mentioned the independant reporters - I would strongly recommend that you take a look at Michael Yon via a search engine.

This reporter is self financing and has no hidden agendas.

He was embedded last year with elements from the UK Bde in Southern Iraq.

I would recommend a read.

The good point that was made to me regarding embedding reporters is that they are more likely to sympathise with your cause if they are being shot at as well. Should an embedded reporter decide to publish some sensitive information, which compromises an operation he will also be in receiving the consequences. However more often than not i would have thought they publish information incorrectly due to lack of realisation about the consequences of what they are saying rather than anything malicious.

GeorgeMaciver said:

Most if not all of those kinds of incidents in Vietnam were the result of members of the South Vietnamese forces passing information to the VC/NVA, either for money or because they were actually Communist agents. Like the agent whose death resulted in the famous "Green Beret murder trial." Nothing to do with journalists.

http://www3.iath.virginia.edu/sixties/HTML_docs/Texts/Narrative/Stein_Lovely_War.html

GeorgeMaciver said:
Precisly baboon, precisely.
The point is that a traitor or double agent or whatever is far more likely to be a member of your local allied forces (these days Afghan or Iraqi) than a journalist. Some journos may be anti-military or unsympathetic to the cause (and these ones are unlikely to be embedded with British or other allied forces) but I doubt if any of them are actually enemy agents.

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
Evening George - nice to see you still out and about, albeit peering constantly over one shoulder.

Book sales going well? :rofl:

oldbaldy

LE
Ord_Sgt said:
GeorgeMaciver said:
Yes, and a good thought and a good point. Just wish the information they gleaned was filtered through our commanders first before being sent to Newspaper editors. I mean, our personal letters home are still vetted aren't they? But battlefield information from which tactics and strategy can be formulated is sent often during battle to Newspapers editors who detest the military and who are constantly looking for ways to weaken us. Call me paranoid if you like but I just find that rather scary.
First off there is usually an agreement that they will not broadcast any sensitive information that endangers the troops they are with. If they cannot agree to that they will not be taken along. Case of one US reporter, Renaldo or something? who was sent packing after reporting on locations of troops during Telic 1.

Nope your mail is not vetted and hasn't for certainly over 20 years.

Yep I'll call you paranoid. :roll:
I joined 40 years ago & my mail was never vetted.

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
GeorgeMaciver said:
Hello Mister Fugly.
Hello, George.

So, how is life on the run? Has the "New world order" messed your life up yet?

Still waiting for your explanation of 9/11, by the way - the usual 6-month resurrection of the subject is currently occurring somewhere else on here (can't be bothered to link).

I actually envy you, sometimes - If I was a little bit more paranoid, life would be far more entertaining as I plot and plan my escape routes for when they "come and get me".

Know something Mr Fugly? I've never been so content with who I am. Been an amazing year, this last year. Thanks for the nod towards a conspiracy thread but I think I'll give it a miss as my take on 9/11 is already published somewhere . . . can't quite recall where . . .

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
GeorgeMaciver said:
Know something Mr Fugly? I've never been so content with who I am. Been an amazing year, this last year. Thanks for the nod towards a conspiracy thread but I think I'll give it a miss as my take on 9/11 is already published somewhere . . . can't quite recall where . . .
Neither can anyone else :roll:

Funnily enough, the constantly reoccurring threads on 9/11 make a grand total of Zero reference to your work - meaning either a) you're talking bollocks, b) You're talking bollocks, or c) You're talking bollocks.

Latest Threads