the embedding of reporters

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by wat-sam, Feb 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [align=justify]My name is Samantha Watson and I am an honours year student at the Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen. My dissertation concerns the embedding of journalists within the British Army during the Iraq War. I aim to write it from a military point of view as I feel little has been done to research how soldiers feel about this progression of war time reporting. I would be very grateful if ARRSE members who served in Iraq during the recent conflict would take the time to complete the attached questionnaire. It will only take ten to fifteen minutes of your time.

The aim of this survey is to try and understand how you felt having reporters alongside you on operations and whether, from your point of view having serving in Iraq, this helped or hindered the general public�s understanding of what the British Forces were doing in Iraq. The administration team at ARRSE have agreed to my request to seek you help and anything you say will be anonymous and treated in confidence. It will only be viewed by myself and used in my academic studies.

Participants can return them to me by email (0613265@rgu.ac.uk) or by private message through ARRSE.[/align]

Attached Files:

2. Samantha

A survey about journo's
    You're timing is impeccable!!

Good luck with your course.

3. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Journos are not flavour of the month at the moment, especially after Robyn Foyster's leak in "New Idea".

Embedding in concrete flyovers will go down very well ;-)

Good luck with your work.

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

5. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

In that well known hotbed of information ABERDEEN!

That place has a lot to answer for, it's where I met Mrs Baldy, so perhaps it should get a good slagging. :)

6. Samantha,

Why not ask the journalists how they thought they are/were perceived? Surely you can see by researching here exactly what many think of journalists - and that is not always negative, either.

Please don't expect people to fill in your questionnaire, they've probably got better things to do with their lives, and as I'm sure you will know, those who do bother to fill it in and send it are by definition self-selecting. So how accurate is that going to be? You have to do some basic research yourself. Easy enough - read the comments and then score them.

Good luck with your studies.

7. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Someone likes Sam, she is now all sticky:

8. Ah Sam, as you now know troopers are not the most sensitive of folk.
    Black humor is part of their job a way of life and as others have said Jurno's are not flavour of the month.
    john
    Best of luck with your studies.

9. The question has to be, by have so-called news reporters in the front line, how can the troops do thier job, without thinking "Will this land me in court, for doing the job I was trained for", as well as " The protection of said news reporter, takes away from the job WE are here to do"!

Do those in the news profession understand "The Squaddie" - NO!

10. From my POV pretty much the only decent, substantial and supportive reports have come from those journalists that got embedded. I can agree that it makes the job harder to have to look after a reporter. Wether it is worth the effort is debateable, I suppose it depends on wether you want the public to get the truth or not.

11. Was the Panorma report from Monday the TRUTH?

If the media fully understood and the general population cared, perhaps much would change and for the better.

12. Was the Panorama report embedded journalism?

13. If it wasn't for the journo's , which started to embed on Herrick 4, then I think we would still be the forgotten band of brother's. Ross Kemp has propelled the soldier imaged through the roof, publicity you couldn't buy. We lived with the journ's on Herrick 4, they shared our room, initially we were all reluctent to talk to them, but because of our tour gripes, the public got on board and asked for better equipment for the serving including the 'OP Allowance'.

14. It was a very selective use of film footage to tell the public here in the UK how British troops are abusing the ememy, in a perverse sort of way.

However, if there are no camera's there in the first instance, they would be no footage to be misused and unreprestertive of the REAL facts.

Good news does not sell papers or get the viewing figures up, however, they the media have a responsibility to tell the truth as it happens and not to suit a story.

15. Fair enough. But just about anything can be used for good or bad. I still contend that the embedded journalists have done more good for our troops than harm. I hope you are seperating between the embedded reports and the reports from the rest.