The Elon Musk and the cave rescue fallout NAAFI thread

You can somehow see why he was bullied in school.
Yeah this. A difficult and protracted rescue which cost a man his life but otherwise ended as well as it possibly could, and this clown is casually chucking around the most damaging and disgusting accusations against the team leader?
Because his toy submarine was deemed unsuitable for the job?
What a fuckingidiot.
And a shame that what was undoubtedly a muted and respectful celebration has now been overshadowed by the gratuitous unpleasantness of a man who contributed fuckall to the operation.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah this. A difficult and protracted rescue which cost a man his life but otherwise ended as well as it possibly could, and this clown is casually chucking around the most damaging and disgusting accusations against the team leader?
Because his toy submarine was deemed unsuitable for the job?
What a fuckingidiot.
And a shame that what was undoubtedly a muted and respectful celebration has now been overshadowed by the gratuitous unpleasantness of a man who contributed fuckall to the operation.
Vernon Unsworth was the expert put in charge of operations because he spent six years mapping those very caves. Apparently, he and your man Musk crossed swords in the cave entrance when he (Musk) attempted to bully the helpers working there into making preparations for launching his stupid "torpedo" idea instead of letting them get on with the real, constructive activities that had been agreed on and had a chance of working (which happily they did). It appears that Vernon, in that very high-tension environment, was short and to the point and told him to do one, using Anglo-Saxon terms.

In view of that, it doesn't surprise me that in the interview that was broadcast, your man Vernon gave him short thrift and told him to stick his idea where it hurts. It may have sounded gratuitous at the time, but I believe it was understandable given how the needy, egocentric Musk had thoroughly pissed him off. In fact, if someone stated that your man Musk had been walking around asking: "Do you know who I am?" it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

MsG

Presumably the plaintiff would be more interested in the libel being heard in the British courts, what with him being British and the British courts being particularly strict when applying our rather strict libel laws?

In the US it'd be "I deleted it. First amendment rights. Etc."

One of the replies on Twatter was quite good - "He [Musk] didn’t just call the British rescuer in Thailand a paedophile. He called him a paedophile because he couldn’t imagine another reason for a white guy to be in Thailand. Which is a false assumption. Sometimes white guys visit Thailand to show off their useless submarines. "

Oh-oh - just popped up on Google, posted half an hour ago, give or take:- British cave diver considering legal action over Elon Musk's 'pedo' attack
Our courts were the go to place for defamation actions. Question is does Musk have assets in the UK or will his domestic jurisdiction assist with enforcement? It'll be a sodding expensive gesture if he can't be made to cough up.

I rather like the idea of a reenactment with his big stainless dildo thingy. Can't imagine the Thais would let him but what a ridiculous spectacle it'd be.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Our courts were the go to place for defamation actions. Question is does Musk have assets in the UK or will his domestic jurisdiction assist with enforcement? It'll be a sodding expensive gesture if he can't be made to cough up.

I rather like the idea of a reenactment with his big stainless dildo thingy. Can't imagine the Thais would let him but what a ridiculous spectacle it'd be.
There appear to various Tesla products in the UK Electric Cars, Solar Panels & Clean Energy Storage | Tesla whether they would count as his or the company in terms of an asset I'm not sure

Not difficult as public, groundless, defamation of character has no defence.
A lawyer will take it on a no win, no fee, basis, or pro bono for the kudos at the end.

I actually admire Musk for his technical genius, but I don't think I would invite him to dinner.

I admire Musk for his foresight more than his technical genius. The re-usable space thing is impressive and my neighbours Tesla looks like an excellent piece of kit. I reckon he over-thought the mini-sub thing and failed to understand the grim reality of the caves.

To be fair the mini-sub could be useful in certain rescue situations, just not in a very pinched cave.

His paedo reference to Unsworth is pretty despicable though. If he can’t be sued because of the international legal situation he should at least apologise profusely and bung a few meg into something like a formal Thai cave rescue team, or maybe to the British cave rescue outfit.

As an aside how on earth did the Thai diver manage to die from lack of air when he was delivering the stuff?

Vernon Unsworth was the expert put in charge of operations because he spent six years mapping those very caves. Apparently, he and your man Musk crossed swords in the cave entrance when he (Musk) attempted to bully the helpers working there into making preparations for launching his stupid "torpedo" idea instead of letting them get on with the real, constructive activities that had been agreed on and had a chance of working (which happily they did). It appears that Vernon, in that very high-tension environment, was short and to the point and told him to do one, using Anglo-Saxon terms.

In view of that, it doesn't surprise me that in the interview that was broadcast, your man Vernon gave him short thrift and told him to stick his idea where it hurts. It may have sounded gratuitous at the time, but I believe it was understandable given how the needy, egocentric Musk had thoroughly pissed him off. In fact, if someone stated that your man Musk had been walking around asking: "Do you know who I am?" it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

MsG
Yeah. My reference to gratuitous unpleasantness refered to Musk’s.

As long as that tube Musk pilots the thing himself, I’d happily stand back and let him play. Hopefully it would be the last we heard of the bellend.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah. My reference to gratuitous unpleasantness refered to Musk’s.
You're right there, guzzijon. I re-read your original post and realised that I'd slightly misunderstood your meaning and to whom you were referring. My apologies for that.

MsG

MsG
I'll bet Musk never tried that line in Hull!

Can you be jailed for libel or is it an offence that only attracts compensation?

If the former, Elon Musk may find himself Elon Gated.

In the UK Criminal Defamation and Seditious Libel were finally abolished in 2010 :

UK government abolishes seditious libel and criminal defamation - Human Rights House Foundation

In the USA it varies by location :

Special Report: Criminal Libel in the United States | Defamation Laws

But is considered difficult to prosecute in the face of the first amendment...

In Thailand you betcha....

Criminal Code: Defamation (Sections 326-333) | Thailand Law Library

a year inside, a 600 dollar fine (current FOREX) or both...

Or in his case you betcha ass... (Copyright Rape-Jokes-R-Us 2018 )

I'm assuming that given the national pride and rejoicing related to the events and the nature of the alleged libel that a Thai judge wouldn't see the wisdom in fining a billionaire less than he spent on his shoes....

He may even be irritating enough for the yanks to extradite him :)

Well, yes, indeed.

But was it a mechanical failure or diver error. And why didn’t he have a buddy. I thought they dived in pairs.

So far Runners World has the most detail on this...

"Former Thai Navy SEAL Saman Kunan was exiting the cave when overtaken by a flash flood on Friday. While the trapped survivors received their payload, Kunan, 38, did not have enough oxygen left over and succumbed to the powerful water. His body was brought to the surface by another diver.
His diving partner found him unconscious and tried to resuscitate him, but attempts were unsuccessful."

Ex-SEAL Diver Who Died in Cave Rescue Attempt Was an Avid Runner, Cyclist

In the UK Criminal Defamation and Seditious Libel were finally abolished in 2010 :

UK government abolishes seditious libel and criminal defamation - Human Rights House Foundation

In the USA it varies by location :

Special Report: Criminal Libel in the United States | Defamation Laws

But is considered difficult to prosecute in the face of the first amendment...

In Thailand you betcha....

Criminal Code: Defamation (Sections 326-333) | Thailand Law Library

a year inside, a 600 dollar fine (current FOREX) or both...

Or in his case you betcha ass... (Copyright Rape-Jokes-R-Us 2018 )

I'm assuming that given the national pride and rejoicing related to the events and the nature of the alleged libel that a Thai judge wouldn't see the wisdom in fining a billionaire less than he spent on his shoes....

He may even be irritating enough for the yanks to extradite him :)
Does the 'where was he when he made the comment' law apply?
Muddy waters indeed.