The Elon Musk and the cave rescue fallout NAAFI thread

Even the US libel laws don't protect making an unfounded allegation of serious criminal conduct against a member of the public. Particularly as the context would support an allegation of "Malice"... I suspect he pulled the offending tweets after his lawyers gave him some words of advice..
The truth is not necessarily a defence against libel in Thailand. If you say something which is solely designed to hurt someone's reputation/credit/etc. without it it also being 'a benefit to the public' then it can be libelous even though it's true.

The truth is not necessarily a defence against libel in Thailand. If you say something which is solely designed to hurt someone's reputation/credit/etc. without it it also being 'a benefit to the public' then it can be libelous even though it's true.

Used to be like that here until recent changes (1996, 2013 Defamation Acts)

Comparing the diagrams of the route to the cave, and Musk's James Bond-type mini sub, it seems Musk got carried away somewhat. The Thais then having the audacity to rescue the boys without his help seems to have been the final straw.
Hopefully his somewhat glib approach to very serious allegations will bite him on the arrse.
11xp-musk-jumboelonmuskviareuters-1531673268.jpg

1.PNG

One of the replies on Twatter was quite good - "He [Musk] didn’t just call the British rescuer in Thailand a paedophile. He called him a paedophile because he couldn’t imagine another reason for a white guy to be in Thailand. Which is a false assumption. Sometimes white guys visit Thailand to show off their useless submarines. "
Unsworth should be thankful he wasn't one of the two British lead divers who found the boys, otherwise Musk would be accusing him of filming vulnerable children without their consent when he popped his head out of the water.

I read this elsewhere thouugh.... 'When people pointed out that he was calling the man who helped find and rescue the children a paedophile, Musk added: 'Bet ya a signed dollar it's true'....' has Musk got some ammo to back up his claim?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Unsworth should be thankful he wasn't one of the two British lead divers who found the boys, otherwise Musk would be accusing him of filming vulnerable children without their consent when he popped his head out of the water.

I read this elsewhere thouugh.... 'When people pointed out that he was calling the man who helped find and rescue the children a paedophile, Musk added: 'Bet ya a signed dollar it's true'....' has Musk got some ammo to back up his claim?
As far as I'm aware, the libel laws both in the UK and US mandate that Vernon Unsworth doesn't have to really do anything, the onus of "proof" is on your man Musk to validate his accusation. Although I'm not surprised that he added that stupid post with the signed dollar, because he doesn't like being made to look a twat if he does a bit of backpedalling, it would surprise me even less if he's not already got a bunch of wallahs out in Thailand trying to dig some dirt.

What an ingnominious ending to what turned out to be, in my view, a modern miracle, pulled off by extremely skilled and dedicated folks like Vernon Unsworth (who had worked on mapping those caves for years). And all because of a self-centred, publicity-seeking Septic with a gigantic ego. I hope he touches a bare wire in one of his electic jam-jars, the gobshite!

MsG

too be honest when they came up with the flamethrower for entertainment idea I immediately remembered this scene from the film 'The Jerk' as a sign of things to come for our Elon

Can you be jailed for libel or is it an offence that only attracts compensation?

If the former, Elon Musk may find himself Elon Gated.

Can you be jailed for libel or is it an offence that only attracts compensation?

If the former, Elon Musk may find himself Elon Gated.

Thailand has both civil and criminal libel offences. Criminal libel attracts a maximum sentence of 2 years and/or a fine of 200,000 Baht (~£4500).

You really, really don't want to spend any time in a Thai nick.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As far as I'm aware, the libel laws both in the UK and US mandate that Vernon Unsworth doesn't have to really do anything, the onus of "proof" is on your man Musk to validate his accusation. Although I'm not surprised that he added that stupid post with the signed dollar, because he doesn't like being made to look a twat if he does a bit of backpedalling, it would surprise me even less if he's not already got a bunch of wallahs out in Thailand trying to dig some dirt.

What an ingnominious ending to what turned out to be, in my view, a modern miracle, pulled off by extremely skilled and dedicated folks like Vernon Unsworth (who had worked on mapping those caves for years). And all because of a self-centred, publicity-seeking Septic with a gigantic ego. I hope he touches a bare wire in one of his electic jam-jars, the gobshite!

MsG
These electic jam-jars, do they spread the jam on the bread once you switch them on? Are they mains or battery powered?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
These electic jam-jars, do they spread the jam on the bread once you switch them on? Are they mains or battery powered?
No idea, that sort of knowledge is the preserve of experts.

Last edited:
Thailand has both civil and criminal libel offences. Criminal libel attracts a maximum sentence of 2 years and/or a fine of 200,000 Baht (~£4500).

You really, really don't want to spend any time in a Thai nick.
Add to that the price of protection money required to stay healthy and unbuggered behind bars, of course.

You can somehow see why he was bullied in school.

Has the thread run as the OP expected? or is it too early to ask?
On reflection, no, this is going nothing like I thought it would. What we seem to have stumbled upon here is a topic which (@Deserter excepting) everyone agrees on, to the extent that @DaManBugs has posted the most sensible points I have seen him make in many years, and which have gained him a multitude of well-deserved "likes". I am glad now that I didn't @summon him with the rest, whilst at the same time dismissing him with a cheap and not very funny jibe about him not speaking Thailandish only Outlandish. For the benefit of those who have him on ignore, these are his posts with enough metadata removed so that all can read them (apart from those who have me on ignore, that is).
DaManBugs said:
Is this thread about your man Musk getting a honk on because no-one took his idea of using a submarine (or something similar) in the rescue of the young lads in Northern Thailand?

I also mind reading somewhere his mentioning that one of the lead Brit cave-divers, who lives in Thailand and has explored those very caves many times, wasn't present at the scene. It all smacks of petty small-mindedness to me, but then again, I never saw Aunt Betty when I had a butcher's at Buck Palace, even though the flag was flying.

I think your man Musk was highly pissed off that (a) no-one took his zany idea seriously and (b) he wasn't feted in the way he's come to expect. No surprise there, really, since you can hardly expect Thai folks to know about some Septic who thinks he's god's gift to humankind.

MsG
13 likes to date.

DaManBugs said:

MsG
5 likes so far.

Even @Bravo_Bravo is singing off the same hymn sheet.

Latest Threads