The Egg Banjo Diaries

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by ugly, May 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Yesterday whilst slightly tired and emotional having sat through a 3 course anniversarry lunch I spied the last goose egg in the farm shop, not wanting really to make a mahoosive BFO scotch egg I decided to make the egg banjo to end all egg banjos;
    [​IMG]
    This is it, a right little L2 of an egg, now geese generally dont lay all year so I was lucky to get one.
    I decided to share this with my oldest son who can eat like an RLC Blanket stacker, I believe we are about to get sponsorship from Ginsters but thats another tale.
    [​IMG]
    Bread (home made of course, sadly no frozen RAOC bakeries finest exist in my vittles dump) marged with some suitable Danish marge and away we go;
    [​IMG]
    This pan is big enough for ommellettes.
    [​IMG]
    Turn it two or three times as this has enough yolk for a section,
    [​IMG]
    Split it and ladle onto the bread;
    [​IMG]
    Eh voila, Banjos complete, only problem is whilst watching the TV last night;

Last night watching the F word and they had Ostrich eggs, allegedly equivalent to 24 yolks!
    watch this space!

2. Where are the OMD 80 finger prints?

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Non mech grunt I'm afraid!

4. bread needs to be prepared on a kero heater (toastie) for a proper egg banjo

5. ...and that bread looks nothing like the RAOC bread that came in white waxed wrappers marked "Tuesday" even when it was Monday.

I agree about the absence of dirty, oily fingerprints.

So, nice try but... that is not a proper egg banjo!

Litotes

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Did I not explain about the bread?

7. Danish marge? Pity the poor British Dairy Farmer.....

8. prep area looks a bit clincal, maybe this should have been done in a shed, (did you not have any spare hexy) incase stove mark 4 was not available.

suppose you used olive oil and not butter :roll:

9. That yolk looks cooked so couldn't possibly flow when bitten into. How can you have the nerve to call that a banjo?!

10. I'm in awe. You remember that bit in Gladiator where the slave train gets to Rome and they see the Colliseum for the first time?

"I didn't know men could build such things..."

11. Did you follow up with Pate on toast or had the cat eaten it? :D
    [​IMG]

12. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

[quote="Litotes]
    I agree about the absence of dirty, oily fingerprints.

So, nice try but... that is not a proper egg banjo!

Litotes[/quote]

Would have to go down as a fail. You can tell MDN lived life in the slow lane, 220 gave it a much more delicate flavour and I think my loader felt it saved on using marge of any kind.

13. 6/10 could do better

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The yolk was only just cooked on the outside, I had to split it to get no1 slob out of bed so I had to cook the yold a fair bit, when I get the Ostrich egg I'll do it as a video!
    Trust me looking at the state of my sone he wears more yolk than he ever eats, I may bring him to the curry. Those who attended the wappenshaw will have seen him eat!
    H&S demands I put rope and red lamps around him and a plate of food in case you get pulled in and eaten.

15. The full banjo making kit list is as follows. Any deviation is chargeable under Queen's regs, with the maximum punishment being the full bray to the swede with a GS Shovel.

Bread

[​IMG]

Margarine

[​IMG]

Egg with pan bits

[​IMG]

Banjo production plant

[​IMG]

Non regulation Banjo Disciplinary kit

[​IMG]

Consumption Detail

[​IMG]

The discussions about condiments have been protracted and detailed. I've elected to leave them off.