The Economist needs input.

Last edited:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Auld Yin's 'defence writing' consists solely of parroting 'that's what I call a bite', 'fixed that for you', pro-Brexit pish and infantry coy reminiscences from 30-odd years ago.

I haven't read Jim's blog so have not yet formed an opinion.

Auld Yin's 'defence writing' consists solely of parroting 'that's what I call a bite', 'fixed that for you', pro-Brexit pish and infantry coy reminiscences from 30-odd years ago.

Better than Max Hastings though, and a number of hacks. Better even than AMMM.

What is The Economist's agenda? Left wing or Right wing? Pro or anti US/NATO?

I don't know why I bother...
He's already facing a couple of challenges for his crown. I imagine he feels the need to maintain a minimum level of penistry for the purposes of securing another landslide come the end of the year.

Annnnd inevitable inbound mong button press in 5...4...3...

Edited to add: Like a moth to a flame...

Last edited:
He's already facing a couple of challenges for his crown. I imagine he feels the need to maintain a minimum level of penistry for the purposes of securing another landslide come the end of the year.

He didn't win the real crown. He won the "Official" crown. No spreadsheets were involved in the unofficial SPOTY. Just good old-fashioned common sense.

I was worried you’d be kept waiting

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Prolly more accurate than some reports in the meedya. Anyhoo, what would a STAB Loggie/Mover know about soldiering?

Cram your false crown up your hoop.

Back on topic,

My pick for arrser economist defence correspondent would be either @jim30 or @scalieback as they tend to seem to have their ears to the ground

He didn't win the real crown. He won the "Official" crown. No spreadsheets were involved in the unofficial SPOTY. Just good old-fashioned common sense.
Apropos, who won on the spreadsheet, then...?

Edited to add: you just can't help yourself can you, Baggy?

Last edited:
@Zhopa @jim30 or perhaps @Auld-Yin The Economist are looking for a defence correspondent and frankly the last years have been pretty sparse on their reporting ability.
Thanks for the tip. But they'd want me to spend a lot of time actually sitting in their fancy new building and (a) it's in London and (b) I hate open plan offices.

"No journalistic experience required" - well that surprised me.

@jim30 is out because they will want somebody who can be just as cynical about UK defence stories as they can about the rest of the world.

Which as far as I can tell means pretty much every other Arrse user qualifies.

It really annoys spider38 (etc) - who disagrees with everything Jim writes.

It would be churlish to suggest the correct position is the one Spider disagrees with - so I wont make any remarks along those lines

What is The Economist's agenda? Left wing or Right wing? Pro or anti US/NATO?
I'll admit to being a subscriber. You get what you pay for - generally high quality reporting, not particularly biased to anything other than "backed up by evidence". Proper journalism and decent-sized articles, not limited to a few column inches. Not perfect, but pretty damn good.

The Economist's agenda is to be well-informed, and not beholden to an owner's whims (see: swivel-eyed non-domiciled inherited multi-millionaires who want to avoid any pan-EU tax agreements, and who rather like the thought of politicians desperate for their support come the General Election).

So: Pro NATO, pro-US-anti-Trump, advised against Brexit on economic grounds. The left will call it the organ of capitalist lackeys, the right will call it a bunch of snowflakes who can't see that Brexit will be a success, honest, because we say so.

They must be doing something right if both extremes of the political spectrum criticise them.

I'll admit to being a subscriber. You get what you pay for - generally high quality reporting, not particularly biased to anything other than "backed up by evidence". Proper journalism and decent-sized articles, not limited to a few column inches. Not perfect, but pretty damn good.

The Economist's agenda is to be well-informed, and not beholden to an owner's whims (see: swivel-eyed non-domiciled inherited multi-millionaires who want to avoid any pan-EU tax agreements, and who rather like the thought of politicians desperate for their support come the General Election).

So: Pro NATO, pro-US-anti-Trump, advised against Brexit on economic grounds. The left will call it the organ of capitalist lackeys, the right will call it a bunch of snowflakes who can't see that Brexit will be a success, honest, because we say so.
Nice summary. The Economist also has a rather good website - I’m also a subscriber. I download the digital issue and give away the paper one.

Thanks for the tip. But they'd want me to spend a lot of time actually sitting in their fancy new building and (a) it's in London and (b) I hate open plan offices.

"No journalistic experience required" - well that surprised me.

@jim30 is out because they will want somebody who can be just as cynical about UK defence stories as they can about the rest of the world.

Which as far as I can tell means pretty much every other Arrse user qualifies.
I'll do it if they're stuck.

If it's got green paint and tracks it's definitely a tank, right...?