The "Dvorak" keyboard for computers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by TAFKAB, Dec 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When computers became affordable back in the day, there was still a lot of gooz going on about the necessary network to encompass all the new developments. No-one seems to have given a thought to the idea that we could have cast off the development of centuries and developed a method of communication in-line with the 21st Century.

The inernet depends on folks typing their wishes, but at the same time they use a (typing) system that's very much old-fashioned and badly needs an update.

I refer to the "QWERTY" system and all that stems from it (see here: QWERTY - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my estimation, it would have been much better to have adopted the Dvorak System for the obvious advanteges it offers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboards

So would it be better to offer succeding generations a choice of keyboard systems? Or just to give them only one choice?

Mid-Sommer-Greetings (normally abbreviated to "MiSoGr")

2. Let me try that keyboard setting:

mncru j nsdkodfjiner n jvfortjn

Nope, it sucks. Like this thread.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thanks for your input, Prince Albert. Much appreciated.

MiSoGr

• Like Like x 1
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

5. Try a different keyboard.

I fail to see why this is in the Int Cell.

6. Isn't the Int Cell Bugsy's usual haunt?

7. Sorry, but what's the "Int Cell Bugsy"?

The thread happens to be about the different keyboard configuratrions adopted by the western powers and why. Do you have anything to add to that?

MiSoGr

8. Yes, you're very boring.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'm surprised that we're still using keyboards at all. There must be a simpler way (that actually works, reliably) of getting information onto the screen.

10. I'd like a keyboard more suited for my using my head-dobber tool. It's a right bastard trying to do capitals using the shift key. My tongue won't reach.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TAFKAB = The Artist Formerly Known As Bugsy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stephen Hawking has the same problem. Could be a hardware problem?

13. you forgot about something:
    1. not all of internet is in english- and dvorak sucks if you are writing in other language
    2. costs of training- they do not cover the potential benefits.

not to mention- that introduction of another system will just bring more confusion /like: average performance of people who use both keyboards- one at work, different one at home etc/.