The Duke

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Mighty_doh_nut, May 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What a good egg, anyone else watch Phil the Greek on the box last night?

Trevor Mcfcukpig, despite being an alright brother was struggling to get his head anyfurther up HRHs anus.

Clearly moved at the Guards footage from Afghanistan, cracking to see him onside, but was disappointed the programme didn't focus on his fcuk ups and guffs.

Good to see his double standards with the World Wildlife foundation and his stance on shooting game :D

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I saw it, and was genuinely impressed by him, and all he's done for young people as well as his obvious support for military folk.

T McD didn't seem to be very well prepared at all, or to have any intelligence or social skills. Loved the bit about not knowing the gender of the pheasant they couldn't run over because the cameras were there.

Perhaps the gaffes will be on the next programme?

3. Sh1t I meant to watch that.

4. Had the pleasure of chatting to HRH for 10 mins or so when Liz & Phil came to do the official opening of Abbey Wood back in 96. He is, indeed, a good egg.

5. Ive been trying all day to watch it on ITV website but no luck.

Someone do us a favour and see if it works your end.

Here is the electric interweb linky thing...

The Duke on ITV Website

6. Yes works here.

I saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it and looking forward to 2nd episode tonight

7. I thought that PtG came across a damn sight better than most 86-year-old men would. Especially compared to the much younger Sir Trev who seemed to have had a complete lobotomy (as well as having to breathe through his arrsehole 'cos of where his head was) and forgotten everything about interviewing.

Mrs T_T was impressed by how "tall and dashing" PtG was as a young man.
    I just pointed out that he was "Greek, public schoolboy and a Royal Navy officer - it's a surprise he ended up straight!" :wink:

8. Women for babies, men for pleasure and all that!

9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

He might be greek, but he is also descended from Queen Victoria, so he has British Blue Blood in his veins.

I liked the observation that palace officials would have prefered Her Majesty to have married a dim-witted English Duke. Good to see that Phil dragged them into the 20th and 21st Centuries.

10. Cheers mate,

Turns out only UK IP adresses can access ITV online vids..

Does any enterprising arrse'r know a way round it or should I go and kick a cat?

11. Point me to that cat when you find it Bandalong, it's not just ITV it's also the BBC... SKY is the classic example, everyone else is happy to allow ExPats and Brit Forces Worldwide to view their programmes but not these two...

12. I have to say, Mrs WH thought it was excellent, I was too busy writing up some project notes, but the bits I saw made me think, thank god we have a Royal Family. I've only met him once at Windsor and he was very interested in what we were doing and keen to talk to all ranks.

13. Fecking microsoft grrrrrrrrr take it this will be on again next monday night then if it is a series???

BTW the Duke is a very nice man

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I dont think that WWF and game shooting are at opposing ends of the scale, surely sustainability comes in many forms, after all its only the tree hugging, sandal wearing tofu munchers that dont have a clue about wildlife management and sustainability. Licensed hunting during the Empire ensured the survival of many now rare and endangered species, as for pheasants its a grand way of getting free range fowl onto the table!
    PTG is an all round good guy and possibly one of a kind although I'm inclined to think of Dennis Thatcher in a similar vein.

15. I also liked the bit where, as a new addition to the Royal Family, he was introduced to Windsor Castle and pointed out that his mother, Princess Alice, had been born there (in the presence of her great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, I might add).